“Top class hotel in London”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #157 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Top class hotel in London”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel to ensure we were able to catch our early Eurostar train to Paris. Turns out this was a perfect choice for the reason that we only had to cross the road and we were at the Eurostar check in.
The rooms were super, the furniture was unique, it really did not feel like we were in a hotel room at all.
The pantry at the end of the hall was a really nice touch, and meant that I could have a couple of decent cups of coffee on arrival.
We visited the hotel bar that evening, great atmosphere.
The test is, taking into account the cost would we stay here again? The answer is a definite Yes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Visited here in March - what a lovely hotel. Room, despite being small, was very cosy and comfortable, staff were so friendly and efficient and loved the pantry at the end of the corridor where you could get tea and cake - great touch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London, UK
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a last minute (i.e. same day via Hotel Tonight) one night booking as we were attending a concert in town and didn't want to face the late night trains home...

I had always been interested in this hotel and building and its railway hereitage having seen it for years in a very down at heel state when travelling through KGX. Now however it stands very shiny and sleek in the middle of the Kings Cross St Pancras redevelopment.

We had one of the small "Couchette" rooms facing the back of the hotel (overlooking the new Kings Cross entrance roof) that was perfectly adequate for our needs but I could see it being a little small for any longer than a couple of days especially if you are staying with someone. Room was very slick in terms of the modern decoration and furnishing with neat technology - free on-demand movies and music playlists - all very impressive and smooth - some of the bigger hotel chains could learn a thing or two. Free wifi was also good. Room was very well sound proofed which was impressive given the location of the hotel in one of the busier parts of town.

Check in was a little clunky but I put that more down to having booked same day via an intermediary. Check in bod was however charming and amusing while he battled with the technology.

We had a couple of drinks in the bar when we came back to the hotel after our evening out - cocktails were good albeit pricey and service was fine.

We didn't stop for breakfast - it wasn't included in the rate and there are lots and lots of choices all within 2 minutes of the front door of the hotel.

All in, given that most central 4/5 star hotels wanted >GBP 250 for a last minute Saturday night, the Great Northern represented exceptional value for money at nearer GBP 150.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jpcm
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is really a great hotel! Love it. Disregard the last review- I sense it has a strong sense of maliciousness -alarms can fail - if its an important meeting, I always set the alarm on my phone as a back up. The hotel was always spotless every time I stayed and all the beds and upholstery are brand new, these sorts of things only really happen in old hotels, really sorry, but just don't buy it.
I have stayed here many times for business as well as pleasure and love it, thought it was clean and extremely comfortable all round. Apart from being so incredibly handy for anyone coming in from Gatwick airport (straight up to St Pancras train station, no need changes in 40 mins) you walk out of the station and you're there! The tube entrance is literally next door as are the all black cabs of the station and a tonne of useful bus stops. The hotel reception is small, but once you are up to rooms corridor you feel you are in a peaceful oasis, its wide and spacious. Every floor has a small pantry where you can get a sweet or chocolate fix, read the papers and get tea/coffee for free. I have stayed in both the basic rooms or Couchettes and the superior rooms (Wainscot) also. I adore the Wainscot room; they are elegant, extremely high quality - I travel every single week of the year for work and think whoever did the design for this hotel did a great job; high quality furnishings, beautiful fabrics used for the thick, blackout curtains, the bed linen is superb and high quality as is the bed: one of the comfiest I have ever slept in (I even inquired about where to buy it from!). A modern, art deco feel runs throughout from the black and white tiled bathroom with traditional fittings, to the great variety of channels including foreign and news channels (One of my biggest annoyances in hotels that don't have this) and great branded toiletries (not the horrible generic stuff you can get even in expensive hotels).

I am really fussy about noise at hotels and was worried ahead of my first stay with it being so close to the station - that is definitely NOT the case, its perfectly quiet and I slept like a baby here every time.

The restaurant serves modern British food and is eccentrically and elegantly decorated, warm and buzzing with life. I had a great steak here once for dinner and a nice breakfast in the morning - they regularly have offers too - you actually have to book as people come off the street to eat here!

The bar is also really nice even if you just want a drink, very 1920s.

Things to improve: a deal with a gym, cant believe there isn't one yet and breakfast could be a little bit more substantial. Nothing more - this is my choice to stay in London every time - budget permitting!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

While I am sure this review will be followed by a posting by Great Northern Hotel denying the facts and attacking me personally (as they have in response to other critical reviews), I submit it nevertheless for the benefit of others.

One week ago today, I checked into the Great Northern with my business colleague after flying from New York so that we could attend an important business meeting. Between two round-trip air fares of roughly $2,500 per ticket and two rooms for two nights at roughly $700 per room per night, plus cabs, meals, etc., we invested more than $9,000 in the trip. The hotel's semi-automated wake-up call system failed to give me my wake-up call (I requested it from a person; the wake-up call is supposed to be executed by the computer system), so I missed my meeting.

I asked several different times to speak with a manager to discuss the hotel's failing, but the manager was amazingly never "available." What I was told was that the hotel's computerized wake-up call system was "having lots of problems" and that this had happened quite frequently of late.

A person at the front desk named Maraide assured me that management would follow up with me, but they have not in over a week, and the hotel has also failed to respond to my office's repeated emails and phone calls. The front desk also tried to shoo me away at first by claiming that since we had booked through Expedia, they were unable to do anything to compensate me for their incompetence. Upon returning home, I began to suffer first from diarrhea and now bed bug bites!

If you are a business person, stay away from this hotel. If you are traveling on leisure you may not care about the non-functioning semi-automated wake-up call system, but I would still take a pass. The people working the front desk seem to think they are too cool to actually be helpful. They seem more focused on their laptops (perhaps on-line shopping, or video games or Facebook?) than on customer service, and the neighborhood is incredibly not hip.

. . . .unless you like bedbugs and diarrhea.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank silverandbluedog
Mairead_Gleeson, Front of House Manager at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Your experience at our hotel is of great concern to our management team. You should have had a direct response from management before finding it necessary to post on Trip Advisor; please accept our apologies for this.

We strive to ensure that our guest experience is underwritten by exemplary customer service. In this instance, your wake up call failed and we apologise for this and the impact that this had on your day. Management is now in the process of reviewing wake up call systems and procedures to ensure an event of this nature doesn't recur.

A member of our management team will be touch with you directly to discuss your experience further.

Yours faithfully

Mairead
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for one night while my husband was on a business trip. Ideal location for underground trains and easy walk to some attractions. Our room was directly across from St Pancras, on the second floor, but there was no noise at all. The staff checked us in very quickly and took care of our luggage as we were too early for check in. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. The room and hotel were very clean with excellent facilities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
sydney australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel as we were travelling north the next day. It is conveniently situated at Kings Cross station and st Pancras and Eurostar are across the road, On arrival we scored an upgrade and our room and ensuite were of a good size and the bed comfortable. Our room overlooked the concourse of KingsX station although there was absolutly no noise. At night we had a view over the station concourse as the roof is translucent.
We ate in the restaurant and the meal was very good and there is a very good wine list. Adjoining the restaurant is a small intimate bar perfect for a pre and post dinner drink. The bar at street level is unfortunatly crowded and noisy.
Staff are friendly and accomodating,one even going beyond the call of duty and fixing my wife's frozen Ipad.
This hotel,like others of its class in London is not cheap but is well worth the money paid. Defininatly recommend

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple