“Pretty good...but not great”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #155 of 1,063 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“Pretty good...but not great”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in June 2014 with my husband. The reception (once we had found the door into the hotel...) was efficient but rather distant and not very welcoming. We booked a Cubitt room, the largest room type available. it was beautifully decorated and finished but so small that we had to check the website again to confirm we were in the right room type: cream and olive green...so yes we must have been. The room was very light, well soundproofed and had a fascinating view over the top of the new canopy at King's Cross station - not one that many people will get to see. The bathroom was clean, well decorated and finished, with a roomy walk-in rain shower. On the down side, apart from the size of the room, the main problem was the utter absence of anywhere to put your stuff. There was a tiny rail inside a "wardrobe" and another one in the entry to the room, and one small shelf, if you moved the hotel slippers onto the floor. Nowhere to put suitcases, and only a tiny bedside cupboard. There was a small table and miniature couch to sit on, although if you did sit on it you woudn't be able to see the TV. The bathroom had two tiny shelves built into the wall, which was nowhere near sufficient. The room would have been absolutely lovely for one person for one night, but for a couple staying a few nights we found it too cluttered to be properly relaxing.

We didn't have breakfast because the prices were astonishingly high even for London. It was charged by item, and with your plate of bacon, eggs etc alone being £17.00 without coffee, juice or toast, we gave that a miss and walked down to the Pullman Hotel 5 minutes away. We got a very good quality full buffet, all-inclusive English for £20 each - much better value.

The hotel is really very nice, fanstastic location, beautifully decorated and finished, but don't expect space. As in so many things, it's a question of managing your expectations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Although the front door was quite disappointing as there's no sign of entrance, but the staffs are actually helpful and polite. As I arrived earlier prior to the check-in time, the room was not ready. However, I left my luggage with them and they had my luggage check-in to the room when I return to the hotel a couple of hours later. The staff show me around the hotel and bring me to my room.

The room is excellent and is spacious for solo traveler. I love the Nespresso machine and the reasonably priced mini bar. The in-room entertain was great with free movies to watch. At the end of each floor hallway, there's a pantry with complimentary coffee, tea and cakes.

I love my stay at GNH and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night Sunday 29th June .Upon arrival at reception we were greeted by 2 very stern members of staff no welcome to the hotel just name found this very rude told are room was ready then they said next to lift so could be noisy or we could wait for another room.We decided to wait they was told by the rude lady that we may end up with the same room anyway ??? The man then said that would not happen.We went off for a few hours when we returned new staff were on reception and much more pleasant .The hotel is beautiful once you get out of the small reception room was lovely could have done with a small dressing table had to of my hair sitting on the floor .Had evening meal and breakfast both ok but not what they should be for the price you pay but would return to this hotel right in the heart of kings cross

• Stayed June 2014
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a fabulous little hotel in a great location. The refurbishment of this listed building has been thoughtfully done and the interiors are stunning with a nod to its station location such as luggage tickets for the 'do not disturb' signs. I stayed in a Cubbitt room, which is the largest in the hotel. The rooms are small, but well appointed. There is space for a little seating area with table, USB points next the bed for charging iphones etc. The large mirror and tall windows make the room feel much bigger than it is. The bed is really comfortable with good quality linen. I was concerned when I booked that it may be noisy due to the location but the sound proofing is very good, so slept soundly. The bathroom was nice, no bath but a very good shower with excellent water pressure.

There is a pantry at the end of each floor, where you can make drinks (you can also make tea in the rooms), borrow newspapers and help yourself to snacks such as cakes and sweets. I was disappointed during my stay on the snacks on offer. There was no cake available, only small bits of fudge and very average macaroons.

The only thing I think this hotel could improve on is the service. The reception staff were great, but service in the ground floor bar was very poor, very slow at taking orders and settling the bill. I was staying on a late checkout brunch package but the bar staff did not seem to be aware of what the package included at breakfast and actually informed us incorrectly that it only included a main breakfast when it actually was a spend per head. Breakfast was good, very tasty. I wouldn't pay extra for it, as the price of coffee etc was a bit steep and not the best quality for the price, and there are other good places on the doorstep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ella7London
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We booked two nights at GNH for our 9th wedding anniversary this weekend just gone (27-29th June). From the first contact with the hotel, the staff were excellent. I said we wanted a Cubitt room with a bath and that it was our anniversary - they happily accommodated us, and gave us a corner room with dual aspect windows.

When we arrived, the staff were charming and friendly. The room was lovely - it may not be palatial, but it isn't tiny and it is beautifully appointed. Nespresso machine, honestly priced minibar, luxe toiletries, lovely fittings.

The pantry at the end of each hallway - with wagon wheels, cake, candies, tea pigs tea bags, a bigger coffee machine and fresh milk is a lovely touch.

All in all - a real gem in the heart of London! We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank GEMBLUEEYES
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Yet another fine addition to Kings Cross. The attention to detail in the refurbishment of this listed building is second to none and is a real credit to the architect and the design and construction team. They have managed to retain the charm and character of the building yet introduce a luxury hotel experience. Its so well done you don't know you are in the centre of one of the busiest public transport interchanges in England if not the world until you look out the window to St Pancras or hear a police siren (which was very infrequent).

All this is matched by the management who were helpful throughout our brief stay and the full English breakfast.

Fortunately we got a room upgrade but we did book 2 / 3 weeks before due to unforeseen circumstances and paid top dollar. Some of the offers which I have seen since provide exceptional value for money.

Strongly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have had a wonderful stay at this hotel from the minute I stepped in the door. I was greeted by a friendly doorman who helped me with my bags and then was checked in quickly and efficiently. There was a warm welcome at reception and felt very comfortable and excited to arrive at the hotel.

The room was excellent, clean and I had a great view of St Pancras station. The pantry was a lovely bonus where I got stuck into the complimentary cake!

Before leaving I had a delightful breakfast in the restaurant which set me up nicely for the day!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014