Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Hotel Megaro(London)
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
1,337 results
All reviewscubitt roomkings crossplum and spilt milkst pancrascouchette roomjelly babiesgnh barnespresso machinefree moviesearly eurostarkings xmake teapancras stationrooms are smallcorner roomlovely hotelhanging space
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed only one night at the GNH. I think it has recently been remodeled - very comfortable and nice decor. Though right at King's Cross Station and across the street from St. Pancras International, my room was very quiet - nice privacy shades pull down easily for the large windows and the curtains blacked-out the room nicely for a good night's sleep. Staff were very friendly. The bar and restaurant are both chic, tasteful and comfortable. Internet access was included in the room price and was easy to set-up. I noticed that a selection of movies (I think it was 80) was available also without additional charge, which would be refreshing considering the ridiculous prices for in-room movies at most hotels. My only complaint is a minor one and that is that the doors to get to reception are narrow and a bit uncomfortable to negotiate if handling a suitcase. Overall I thought it was excellent and would definitely stay there again. Note: If coming from Heathrow Airport the Piccadilly Line of the Underground stops at King's Cross - takes about an hour but is only approximately 7GBP.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in June 2014 with my husband. The reception (once we had found the door into the hotel...) was efficient but rather distant and not very welcoming. We booked a Cubitt room, the largest room type available. it was beautifully decorated and finished but so small that we had to check the website again to confirm we were in the right room type: cream and olive green...so yes we must have been. The room was very light, well soundproofed and had a fascinating view over the top of the new canopy at King's Cross station - not one that many people will get to see. The bathroom was clean, well decorated and finished, with a roomy walk-in rain shower. On the down side, apart from the size of the room, the main problem was the utter absence of anywhere to put your stuff. There was a tiny rail inside a "wardrobe" and another one in the entry to the room, and one small shelf, if you moved the hotel slippers onto the floor. Nowhere to put suitcases, and only a tiny bedside cupboard. There was a small table and miniature couch to sit on, although if you did sit on it you woudn't be able to see the TV. The bathroom had two tiny shelves built into the wall, which was nowhere near sufficient. The room would have been absolutely lovely for one person for one night, but for a couple staying a few nights we found it too cluttered to be properly relaxing.

We didn't have breakfast because the prices were astonishingly high even for London. It was charged by item, and with your plate of bacon, eggs etc alone being £17.00 without coffee, juice or toast, we gave that a miss and walked down to the Pullman Hotel 5 minutes away. We got a very good quality full buffet, all-inclusive English for £20 each - much better value.

The hotel is really very nice, fanstastic location, beautifully decorated and finished, but don't expect space. As in so many things, it's a question of managing your expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Although the front door was quite disappointing as there's no sign of entrance, but the staffs are actually helpful and polite. As I arrived earlier prior to the check-in time, the room was not ready. However, I left my luggage with them and they had my luggage check-in to the room when I return to the hotel a couple of hours later. The staff show me around the hotel and bring me to my room.

The room is excellent and is spacious for solo traveler. I love the Nespresso machine and the reasonably priced mini bar. The in-room entertain was great with free movies to watch. At the end of each floor hallway, there's a pantry with complimentary coffee, tea and cakes.

I love my stay at GNH and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night Sunday 29th June .Upon arrival at reception we were greeted by 2 very stern members of staff no welcome to the hotel just name found this very rude told are room was ready then they said next to lift so could be noisy or we could wait for another room.We decided to wait they was told by the rude lady that we may end up with the same room anyway ??? The man then said that would not happen.We went off for a few hours when we returned new staff were on reception and much more pleasant .The hotel is beautiful once you get out of the small reception room was lovely could have done with a small dressing table had to of my hair sitting on the floor .Had evening meal and breakfast both ok but not what they should be for the price you pay but would return to this hotel right in the heart of kings cross

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a fabulous little hotel in a great location. The refurbishment of this listed building has been thoughtfully done and the interiors are stunning with a nod to its station location such as luggage tickets for the 'do not disturb' signs. I stayed in a Cubbitt room, which is the largest in the hotel. The rooms are small, but well appointed. There is space for a little seating area with table, USB points next the bed for charging iphones etc. The large mirror and tall windows make the room feel much bigger than it is. The bed is really comfortable with good quality linen. I was concerned when I booked that it may be noisy due to the location but the sound proofing is very good, so slept soundly. The bathroom was nice, no bath but a very good shower with excellent water pressure.

There is a pantry at the end of each floor, where you can make drinks (you can also make tea in the rooms), borrow newspapers and help yourself to snacks such as cakes and sweets. I was disappointed during my stay on the snacks on offer. There was no cake available, only small bits of fudge and very average macaroons.

The only thing I think this hotel could improve on is the service. The reception staff were great, but service in the ground floor bar was very poor, very slow at taking orders and settling the bill. I was staying on a late checkout brunch package but the bar staff did not seem to be aware of what the package included at breakfast and actually informed us incorrectly that it only included a main breakfast when it actually was a spend per head. Breakfast was good, very tasty. I wouldn't pay extra for it, as the price of coffee etc was a bit steep and not the best quality for the price, and there are other good places on the doorstep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple