“A really pleasant experience”
Review of The Monocle Cafe

The Monocle Cafe
Ranked #134 of 852 Coffee & Tea in London
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“A really pleasant experience”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Been a fan of Monocle for a while and stumbled across this cafe when walking around the area. What a find! I had a great flat white and a really interesting cardamom bun; also treating myself to a copy of the latest Monocle. I was also offered a selection from their new lunch menu, which is of Asian-influenced light lunch cuisine, but politely declined. There are three seating areas: café seating around the bar area, a room at the back with a TV showing headlines and some couches: very much a business-meeting area vibe and a third basement area downstairs. Scandinavian style furniture all around and nice and quiet. I shall be back.

• Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
Ulm, Germany
“Good coffee at a price”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We had a morning coffee at a stiff 3 pounds tag. We sat at the nice table outside and enjoyed reading the papers and the sample copies of monocle magazine. Coffee is excellent and presented on a small tray in stylish mugs with carefully crafted foam displays on top. Plus a complimentary chocolate. Overall, nice touches but only worth it if you can enjoy it in peace and with sufficient time to spare. Those on a rush should opt for other places.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Susana F
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not up to speed”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Popped by this morning for a coffee and a cinnamon bun.

The atmosphere was a bit earnest and the decor was a bit dull considering its owners.

The service whilst polite was a bit slow - not somewhere to grab a coffee if you are in a rush - with the waiter making bags up from scratch to put in the buns.

The coffee was excellent, but the cinnamon buns are much better at the Nordic bakery.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Closed and not very friendly”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I had heard good things about the recently opened café, and dropped by for a coffee and Cinnamon bun (I was assured by a friend that they are as good as at Il Caffe in Stockholm). It was Friday afternoon and late, around 5.20, so I can understand it being shut, but there were no opening times displayed. I tried to get the attention of the gentleman working inside, but he studiously ignored me: fair enough on a Friday afternoon, but it would have been nice to have spent a couple of minutes getting more information.

I wouldn't have been unduly bothered by this but as a regular reader of Tyler Brule's column in the Financial Times, some time back I had popped into the Monocle Shop, also in Marylebone, to buy a copy of Monocle Magazine. It was just before Christmas and I wanted to buy the December issue, but was told by the young lady that it was now an old issue and therefore I would have to pay a premium for the "back" number. I refused and instead went to one of the excellent newsagents in Marylebone High Street where I found a December copy at the normal price.

It does make me wonder if there is a rather harder commercial edge to the Brûlé empire which makes the Monocle not quite so user friendly. It would be unfair to give a rating of one or two, so I have given the café a three in the hope that my next visit will be much better and I can offset this low score with a 5.

• Visited April 2013