“Superb meal”

Ranked #688 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Went for the birthday of my partner and myself... Choose the full tasting menu and fine wine pairing.... Satisfied from start to finish.... All staff members where super friendly and knowledgeable ... definitely recommend for a special night out!

Date of visit: November 2016
Write a reviewReviews (759)

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We had a really good evening here but having waited a while to get a table and then paid almost £300 per head I'd maybe hoped for a bit more.
The dining room itself is fine but a bit disappointing. Not that atmospheric.
The tasting menu itself (which you have to prepay £110 a head for) is very good. A couple of dishes were exceptional especially one involving mushrooms and the desserts but a couple were only ok.
However I was still very happy with the food. Our menu disappointment was the wine pairing. They have a normal option at £80 a head or prestige at £110. As there were 4 of us we should definitely have ordered from the list as £440 could have got us some great wine, but we went for the pairing and we're all disappointed. A couple were really good but a couple we actively didn't like and nothing really got us excited which is a shame on that budget.
All in all we had a great evening and I'm glad I've been but I won't rush back.
I'd definitely still recommend anyone to go but order your own wine!

5  Thank Gooldie
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

The Clove Club took its permanent site at Shoreditch Town Hall in 2013 and quickly earned a reputation as one of the Capital’s hottest restaurants.
Isaac Mchale Has devised a five course and a seven course tasting menus featuring signature dishes such as the buttermilk fried chicken which was divine; crispy, tasteful and not oily at all. Also the Cornish mackerel and plenty from his homeland Scotland such as haggis doughnuts.
The restaurant interior is simple, casual and relaxed featuring an open kitchen. Diners need not be worried about being hassled by staff (diners are left to top up wine glasses and water themselves without waiters hovering to it for them).
The food is creative and delicious. The presentation was gorgeous especially at the start when the buttermilk fried chicken with pine salt which was arriving in a basket of fresh pine needles is an example of elevating a classic to its best possible state. The decor and the food presentation creates the impression of a casual restaurant but of a true fine dining nature. My favourite course in addition to the fried chicken was the raw Orkney scallop which was class in presentation and taste.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

I booked the Clove Club after seeing it in the World 50 best restaurants Awards. I was looking for somewhere special to celebrate my Husbands 40th Birthday. I am so glad we choose Clove Club... I will be recommending to anyone who asks.

The Clove Club surpassed all our expectations. The food is imaginative, creatively presented and tastes amazing. Every course a new experience. The building - the Town Hall is beautiful and the restaurant has a simple design. The tables all face the front where the Chef and team are working and it is so interesting to watch. The Atmosphere was great. The staff friendly but not pretentious. I loved the Chef coming to the table to explain some of the dishes.

We had the tasting menu and it truly was an experience of 9 courses.
The Duck, Morel and Ginger Consommé & Hundred Year Old Madeira was stunning - almost like magic.

We have eaten in a number of London's restaurants and this was the best so far.

Thank you Clove team for the experience, front row table, birthday plate and chocolate.

1  Thank Mharris82
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

I cam with a very high expectation and left the place with a lot of happiness ! Thank you so much for the great experience ! We had a very small waitress who delivered the big big big service ! You are great ! Credit to the Whole team! I am happy!

Date of visit: June 2017