“Brilliant service and a fantastic evening”
Review of The Clove Club

The Clove Club
Reserve a table
Ranked #688 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Clove Club is a relaxed, modern and fun dining experience. We had the five course tasting menu but with additional courses and some freebies it was more like 10 courses. The food really takes you on a journey and the wine was well recommended. Service is exemplary and we really were made to feel special. I would recommend to anyone looking for somewhere for a special occasion.

Date of visit: August 2017
Write a reviewReviews (740)

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I wanted to take the right amount of time to write this review. Did not want to leave out any details of what made my experience at The Clove Club unique and unforgettable. I want to start by calling out that I was fortunate enough to go in on a day when chef Isaac McHale was there. That enhanced the experience, as I could see the mastermind behind it all at work. The experience was charming. Not only was I captivated by the amazing tasting menu and wine pairing, but also with an opportunity to chat with Isaac briefly. He is incredibly approachable, polite and humble. I truly enjoyed the pleasant conversation that we had. Casual and interesting.

Want to give a shot-out to The Clove Club for having exemplary service. Everything about the dining experience was amazing! From the moment that we walked in up to when we left and had the opportunity to chat with Isaac, we really enjoyed it all. You can see how everyone at The Clove Club has the customer as the top priority.

I went to The Clove Club with my cousin. We had the tasting menu and wine pairing. Oh was it worth it. A smorgasbord of incredibly tasting food and wines. Our journey started with four foretastes that included a gazpacho, a crab tart, buttermilk fried chicken with pine salt and a haggis bun. Having kicked off our experience this way helped us prepare mentally for all of the amazing stuff that happened next.

Every single course was amazing and perfectly explained. The presentation for every single one of them was astoundingly visual. Elements combined in an inimitable way that enhanced sight, smell, touch and taste. Won’t get into the details of all to avoid spoiling the complete experience. The one thing to call out is that the courses included trout, langoustines, pollock, lamb, consommés, broths, chicken. Each of them simply exceeded expectations. They blended in ingredients and created combinations that I had never experienced before. Lots of unexpected pleasures!

I do want to call out my favorites. Believe me, I had an incredible hard time going through the pictures and figuring out what to pick. Everything at The Clove Club could be a favorite!

1. Buttermilk fried chicken & pine salt: It was out of the ordinary! Having tried this, fried chicken will never be the same for me. The taste was something I had never experience in fried chicken. It was smooth, yet packed with flavor. Starting with the visual presentation and pine leaves on it, the experience started a blended forest smell.

2. Hot Smoked Lamb Ribs: made me want to ask if I could repeat that course. Incredibly tasty ribs. Packed with flavor. Extremely clean meat. When I was done I was wishing I had taken it slower.

3. Duck, Morel & Ginger Consommé and Hundred Year Old Madeira: speechless!!! My head could not wrap around the idea of what was happening. Had never had such an experience, and believe me I’ve dined quite a bit in a ton of different places. You first try the Madeira, which is something exclusive and fortunate to begin with. Amazing taste, which makes you want to enjoy up to the last drop sliding inside the glass. When you are done, they bring the consommé and pour it in the same glass. Seems like they are playing with your mind, but they are ensuring the flavors blend and are enhanced. Suddenly you are having a warm drink that you have never experienced before. The whole script for how this is done is simply perfect, captivating and amazing!

After our last course we decided to get some cheeses before they started treating our sweet tooth. The cheeses were great and prepared us for the next round.

For dessert, there was an outstanding wild fennel granita joined by a mousse and fresh strawberries. The presentation was colorful and attractive. The blend of flavors was extremely enjoyable. This is the dessert that I particularly enjoyed the most, but all others (3 more) were amazing as well. Want to call out that we hot a couple of hard candy filled with Dr. Henderson’s Bon Bon combination of liqueurs (fernet branca and crème de menthe). They were simply delicious and truly served their purpose of being a digestive. The whole course dinner and wine pairing did not fill heavy on the stomach at all. I think that had to do with the “miraculous powers” of this tasty combination.

Everything was superb! Will visit again for sure given the opportunity. I’ve spread the word about this being a place that goes above and beyond in both dining and service! My experience chatting to Isaac McHale made my time at The Clove Club even more rewarding. You can totally tell how his vision and style influence every feature of The Clove Club! It is easy to see that he is heavily involved in the operation and core values, ensuring everyone has a pleasant and unforgettable experience.

KUDOS to The Clove Club!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Gorgeous restaurant, designed impeccably with the blue everywhere on the tile, chairs, backslash, even the door, but not so much blue that its cheese - the restaurant is as seen in photos online, gorgeous. I ordered the chicken for dinner, it was so moist and perfectly cooked. Top level service and friendly as well, nice for a special occasion.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 20 September 2017

A Wonderful night had by all.....tasting menu was everything and more....in fact i think this dinner was up there with the best we've had.It wasn't a cheap night by a long shot....but when you get this kind of quality then we dont really care.Special mention goes to the waiting staff as they made the whole experience even more enjoyable...all we need now is another excuse to come back.Perfection

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We went for the tasting menue with highest option of pairing wines. Food is beautiful, service is excellent, but wine is disappointing and lacks character

Date of visit: September 2017