“Amazing birthday meal, but at what a price!! ”
Review of The Clove Club

The Clove Club
Reserve a table
Ranked #688 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed the tasting menu recently - the food was truly amazing with helpful friendly and attentive service from all. We had the classic wine pairing - none of the wines stood out. The price at the end was truly eye watering, and for me spoilt an otherwise near perfect evening.

Date of visit: October 2017
Write a reviewReviews (759)

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Oh dear. We had such high expectations. And travelled so far. On the plus side the
Maitre de had some local connection. The food was mostly good. We were genial and slightly drunk. We were offered grouse and something else, truthfully I know not what. I do recall that it was all good. We were gently surprised by the bill which was an eye gouging amount. I have no issue with restaurants charging eye watering amounts for their food, but mostly I like that to be upfront. I paid up feeling somewhat cheated. If I wanted to spend that amount, I would have chosen a better resturant.

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank johnmH9282CW
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We had the 9 course tasting menu with wine parings. Excellent food with every dish being original and something I've not seen before. The service was almost fantastic however the Aussie chap didn't try as hard as the rest. I usually wouldn't notice but when it's over £200 per head you do. My only other critique is the food is rather similar in colour, beige/cream/browns. However it's so delicious is doesn't really matter.

1  Thank ryank222
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Visited the Clove Club last night for the full tasting menu. Set in the old Town Hall it is a quirky, higgledy piggledy sort of place which must be quite a challenge to produce high end food in, but Isaac McHale manages just that. I don’t know why we were surprised to see him in the kitchen, it seems a rarity at this level, but there he was producing some of the most memorable dishes any of us had ever had. Quite a lot of fish on the menu but prepared in a quite unique way. The scallops on a black truffle base were exquisite as was the spider crab. The only disappointment was the additional cheese course which was nothing special and stood out against the rest of the meal because of it. But nothing could detract from a stunning meal prepared and presented with great style.

1  Thank TonyL477
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Clove Club is a relaxed, modern and fun dining experience. We had the five course tasting menu but with additional courses and some freebies it was more like 10 courses. The food really takes you on a journey and the wine was well recommended. Service is exemplary and we really were made to feel special. I would recommend to anyone looking for somewhere for a special occasion.

Date of visit: August 2017