“Excellent meal”

Ranked #688 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

We dine here last week it was a surprise when we were not given menus and did not know what we were eating until the course arrived .
Amuse excellent , all the courses delightfully presented and well cooked , guinea fowl pleasant but not to my liking .
Enjoyed the pork crackling in black pudding taco ....
Would I dine again yes !
I did feel it was a different concept to eating if I was honest.... I like to choose what I want to eat that day not leaving it to chance of a chef’s choice .
We were asked for any allergies or dislikes .
Hope to return again in the future .

Date of visit: November 2017
Write a reviewReviews (759)

Reviewed 21 November 2017

definitely the best place to eat in London, great atmosphere , nice to see the young people working in the open kitchen with new ideas, new flavors and excellent presentation .

Reviewed 20 November 2017

I ended a two week gastronomy experience for a special birthday at the Clove Club, having dined at La Gavrouche, The Pollen Street Social and The Sportsman in the space of a few days. By the time we got to The Clove Club I was really hoping it lived up to the hype (unlike The dreadful Sportsman). It did !! From the moment of booking to a change in dining arrangements through the meal and departure this restaurant never disappointed. The food is very good, simple, modern and some really interesting twists, such as the potato ice cream dessert. What makes it so special is the attitude of front of house, they are a very warm vibrant bunch of young people who really show enthusiasm for what they are doing. The dining room is very welcoming and never pretentious (as some hyped places can be). Both my companion and I had the five course tasting menu without the wine pairing and we loved every course particularly the fish courses. We also enjoyed the 'snacks' to start, the haggis dumpling was really tasty as was the tiny crab tart. I cannot understand how this place is still only a one star. Taking everything into account the entire experience deserves two in my opinion.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Ok , background first : this was a joint birthday celebration , a gift from our daughter ,my wife and I know our food and wine very well.
The venue : I could recreate it pretty well if I moved a random selection of vintage retro furniture into my garage and spruced it up with a selection of those horrid artificial flower arrangements from the 70’s........I believe the look is called ‘ironic’.
Any venue which takes eating and wine seriously has to manage the sensory ‘noise’.....it is impossible to savour anything while sitting in a room overwhelmed by unexhausted cooking smells and fumes which literally make ones eyes water for most of the time.
The service : earnest for sure , but with accents so convoluted that neither of us understood a word of the lengthy descriptions provided for each of the interminable ‘courses’.
The food : a procession of ‘food bites’ cloaked in the sort of pretentious presentation that leaves one desperately trying to work out what is the container , what is the frou-frou and what is the actual food. Worse still....an abject plagiarisation of Blumenthalisms but with neither the playfulness nor the sheer ‘good food-ness’ of it all......actually irritating elaboration for the sake of elaboration , with the cause of good eating left somewhere sobbing forgotten In the wings. Good ingredients somewhere in there so far as I could tell before the messing around got applied........ and before trying to eat in the equivalent of a garage with the engine running and a hosepipe running from exhaust to drivers seat.
The wine : top most entertainment of the night.......I have never seen a sommelier who openly managed to get through more drink from his serving station bottles than my wife and I between us managed to drink over the meal. Then we made the mistake of ordering a premiere cru chablis which had the distinction of actually being worse than a Tesco £10 meal deal wine. We commented on the wine being relatively sweet enough ....yes ! SWEET ! enough ! to be undrinkable and this prompted the entertainment to rise to even greater heights as we were treated to a truly ridiculous stream of vinobabble clearly premised on thinking that we must be impressionable morons. Eventually the said sommelier came to his senses and returned to the table claiming to have shared notes with a colleague and yes , they agreed , it wasnt quite up to the mark ( which I assume is a polite way of saying it might be best employed as a toilet cleaner). We were reassuringly told the wine would not be making an appearance at Clove Club in future.......nice to think that our handsome investment has gone to benefitting future diners....I take a note to remind myself of that in case I feel infuriated and conned at some later point in my life (like on the way home).
The Bill : the thing that speaks eloquently about ‘the bill’ is that even my wife pointedly ensured that I did not get sight of it. That can only be lest I actually started to physically throw chairs around the room such is my displeasure when I recognise that I have been
well and truly conned by an overhyped pantomime.
Summary : a joint birthday destroyed by a gang of muggers on Shoreditch High Street , an emperor of hype resplendent in new clothes , the sort of thing that gives fine dining a very bad name and tends to indicate that many diners enjoy access to more money than they do to calm appraisal of the qualities of food and wine.

Date of visit: October 2017
11  Thank Bloodhoundk1
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Very expensive -same price as the fat duck and not worth the hype unfortunately nor anywhere near as good. The wine pairing was really poor. No espresso's or cappuccino's possible. Some dishes were nice such as the raw scallops but not consistent. The tough scraps of ginea fowl leg, plus the mashed potato dessert was not great. :(

Date of visit: October 2017