“Fish lovers treat”

Ranked #688 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed 28 September 2019 via mobile

The tasting menu heavily leans on the sea and executes at the standard expected of the price and star, although my partner's favourite dish was the venison (cooked to perfection). Each component balances eachother and the sommelier did well to harmonise each course. We asked for one wine pairing and luckily we did, generous pours and after 9 glasses even between the two of us left us slightly wobbly. Martini at the beginning definitely opened up my partner's appetite. I felt a bit ripped off paying £8 for a REAL kombucha drink, not realising it was from a premade bottle. Highlight for me was the sardine experience with the sake, still dreaming of it now but I cannot fault any dish. Do not eat anything 5 hours prior to an experience with The Clove Club!!

2  Thank _Nessum
Write a reviewReviews (759)

Reviewed 27 September 2019

First time at CloveClub and it did not disappoint. Willem the Sommelier particularly stood out - I was fascinated by their 'tea pairing' option but being an Irish woman wouldn't have chosen this option but on asking about it Willem immediately let me sample some of their teas which led to a discussion about the non alcoholic Seedlip which I've never tried and he duly brought out for our group to sample. When he realised we were keen wine enthusiasts he also indulged my query about the difference between a 'large grape' that he was referencing to smaller grapes and brought out three different wines to try divided by the grape size! To top it off when I asked about the herb in the ice cream which I'd never heard of he explained all about it and brought me out the fresh version of it. Nothign was too much trouble and the more curious I was the more the staff went out of their way to share their expertise and passion. If I had a tiny disppointment it was the fact that my husband and I can't eat fish so whilst the other couple we were with had the fish courses we had two veg dishes - to be fair they were lovely but it did feel a bit of a cop out that they couldn't have prepared at least one other meat dish. That said the quality and taste of all 6 dishes and the paired wines was excellent and the service really outstanding from all staff but especially Willem. A super dining experience that we would highly recommend.

2  Thank emmalcourtney
Reviewed 26 September 2019 via mobile

This Michelin started restaurant advocated they served modern English cuisine, but I thought the dishes were very much inspired by Japanese & Asian cooking. For dinner, they served 10 courses of tasting dishes on top of 4 kinds of finger food before the proper dinner. Food was well prepared & cooked except for some dishes were too savory for me. Food presentation was terrific. Services were very high standard as I reckoned their staff (front line & supporting) to customer ratio was almost 1:1! A kind reminder to prospective customers that they may consider to skip lunch otherwise it’s a very big challenge to finish the full courses.

1  Thank josepht203
Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

I visited this restaurant seven months previously. I rarely visit restaurants twice but was so impressed that I decided to here.
It was a fantastic lunch. Perfect presentation, great combination of flavours and textures.
Very friendly service.
We had four courses and at gbp 65 each I felt that was very good value for the quality of the four courses plus all those fabulous snacks.
I am hopeful of returning a third time. All excellent.

3  Thank Mikexyz
Reviewed 3 September 2019 via mobile

This has been on my bucket list for some time and while it was consistent nothing amazed. Good flavours and friendly staff but left feeling a little unsatisfied. Disappointed after the long wait to come here but still a tasty meal

2  Thank jaxswanny