“Top Hat -touring at the Wimbledon Theatre London”
Review of Top Hat - CLOSED

Top Hat
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just been to see Top Hat that was at the Aldwych Theatre, now touring the country.

This show is amazing, the leads and the ensemble cast were brilliant and the dancing and singing was mesmerising.... Lots of the cast who played at the Aldwych Theatre were playing their roles again..... Well worth a visit....

1  Thank Hurghada07

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We saw this show just before it closed to go on tour and it was absolutely brilliant - funny, feel good and fantastic singing and dancing. The cast were superb. Can't recommend it enough. My new fave show!

3  Thank LittleEater01
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was not a first choice for a show to see, but based on friends reviews I decided to give it a go, and I'm glad I did. Wonderful music, amazing costumes, classic music well performed and quality acting... A truly wonderful evening.... Shame it closed!

1  Thank MrC114
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I watched this Miss Saigon when I was a student in London almost 2 decades ago. And, now, when I went to my playground, Old Compton Street, I realized that it has been re-opened since March 2014.

First evening, I was naively waiting for a returned ticket for the evening, for an hour of humiliating, and at the cigarette-smoked door side for no success for Friday night. The ticket staff advised us to come on Monday, after 10 am, which I did. Also, I checked a reputable website that shows the real-time ticket availability. And, I could see the prices and availability.

And, we rushed to buy the ticket in the early afternoon. So, I suggest any foreign visitors not to repeat my silly waiting but to get the ticket early on the day at the location.

Now, the show.
Compared to the older one, I would say this was 2 steps up to become my true 5-star experience. However, my partner thinks it was mere 3-star for not-so-spectacle visual fun. I agree with the dark scenes throughout the running time, but the story was tightened with no single second of loose bit.

Being Asian and feeling the pain underlining history of the comical musical of the Vietnam War and its scar, it was re-visiting the firsthand hurt feeling, but, it didn't seem to touch my partner's heart as much.

Well, still the singling talents are all great, and less raunchy than the older one, but the sequences are tightened and twice lighter than the older one. The star of the show was not quite Kim, Miss Saigon, but "engineer," the over-confident pimp. He really enhance the musical experience twice more fun and drew the genuine cheer from the audience when it ended.

I was glad that the heavy-hearted and entangled original production was upgraded to polished and light-hearted version, that comes to the audience, well worthy of its "25th anniversary" title. And, I would recommend anyone (12 yo+)

The CD they were selling, however, was an international version, not necessarily tied to the London production, and would not be the same. You really need to hear the sound of Kim, Thuy, and, Engineer (Jon Jon Briones).

There was almost 10min. applause from Monday night show and that tells others enjoyed the musical as we did.

1  Thank One_Big_Hopping_Dot
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I took two friends to visit London and take them to see a West end show. We had seen the Commitments so thought Miss Saigon would be perfect as they'd never been to the theatre before. I'd seen this when it was in Drury Lane some years ago and thought it'd be great to see it again. It's amazing. If you are thinking about going, stop thinking and book your ticket. The guy playing the engineer is brilliant but to be fair the rest of the cast are fantastic. Great voices and the energy of them all is fantastic to watch. The scenery is excellent and as it changes before your eyes without you noticing is incredible. I've run out of superlatives to say how good this production is. Our friends are now raving about theatre shows but I hope they won't be disappointed after seeing such a brilliant show for the first time, I can't see how anything could top this show. Some scenes are mind blowing for a stage show, especially the helicopter scene which I won't elaborate on as you should go and see this show in person rather than read reviews. It's a love story that is quite moving, the songs are great and performed by a fantastic cast. I hope they read this review themselves to see how people view their hard work. Well done all of you. Well worthy of the standing ovation at the end of the show.