“Designer boutique in a small package”

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection
Ranked #102 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel in late July last year. We booked it cause it was just recently refurbished and the hotel decor looked nice from the website. We arrived on a very early flight and reached South Kensington by 8am. We decided to drop our luggage at the hotel first before exploring the area. We were pleasantly surprised the hotel staff allowed us to check in even though normal check in hours was at 2pm.

We asked for a room facing the courtyard (away from the busy Cromwell Road). Our room was quiet but like all the other reviewers have mentioned, it was very small. We don't have enough space to open both our luggages at the same time. We got the standard double room, so maybe the deluxe tier has a bigger room? But aside from the small room and small bathroom, we have had no other complains. The room was tastefully designed.

Location wise, the hotel was about 5 minutes walk away from Earl's Court tube station. The hotel was virtually next door to a Sainsbury (I think its open 24hours), so you can get all the food supplies or drinks you need if you're on a budget (or if you got a room without breakfast like us). There's a bus 74 just outside the hotel. The bus is able to get you the V&A museum (2 stops away) and Harrods as well as Hyde Park (Kensington side).

The staff are all very courteous and friendly, which sort of make up for the small rooms. We bumped into a couple when checking out at the elevator, and they had similar thoughts as well, small rooms but good service. The rooms are not particularly cheap considering the size. So do consider that when you're booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not facing the Cromwell Road. It might be less noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chew782
HotelXenia, General Manager at Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your experience at Hotel Xenia from your stay last summer.

I am pleased to learn that you were able to enter your room prior to our standard check-in time. Our front desk team strive to make the checking-in process as efficient as possible and check guests into rooms before the standard check-in time when possible. Furthermore, I am delighted that you were impressed by the décor of the building. Each room was thoughtfully designed prior to opening to ensure it captured the spirit of Xenia and created the perfect ambience for each space. Guests often commend us for the small details and touches throughout bedrooms and public areas, noting that the attention to detail exceeds expectations of hotel décor and gives the property a more home-ly feel.

With regards to the size of bedrooms, you’re correct. They do vary in terms of size and amenities based on room category. Should you choose to return in the future, please explore the other room types available which will provide you with more space, perhaps making your stay more comfortable.

Many thanks also for passing comment on the level of service you received from our courteous and friendly staff. I take pleasure in being able to relay such positive feedback to them, of which they truly appreciate.

Thank you once again for sharing your views. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Xenia in the future when visiting London.
Kind regards,

Giacomo Battafarano

Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Thank you so much for my stay at Hotel Xenia.

The staff was all so helpful and very welcoming! The room was beautiful and so well maintained, also an added touch that we had a room with a balcony. It was amazing.

The hotel in general is just lovely, I would defiantly recommend and would love to stay again for my next overnight visit in London!

Thanks again to you and everyone at the hotel that made our stay brilliant 

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that your stay was so enjoyable and that you felt so welcomed by our warm and friendly staff. Furthermore I am pleased to learn that you took advantage of the balcony in your bedroom. Many of our guests who stay in these room types comment as to the added value it brings to their stay in London.

Many thanks once again for your comments. My team and I look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Xenia on a return visit to London!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at Hotel Xenia for work recently and really enjoyed my stay. I arrived at 8am and was lucky enough to not only be allowed to check in, but I also received an upgrade on my room.
It was very comfortable and I was able to work all day interrupted on the free wifi.
The room was very nicely decorated and the bathroom was really smart.

The hotel is located approx 10 mins walk from Grosvenor Road tube station, which was fine as my case had wheels. It's in a great position for the nearby museums.

All in all, I'd certainly recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your views on your recent stay at Hotel Xenia.

My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that it provided a comfortable place for you to work productively whilst out of the office!

For your future reference, the hotel is located between both Gloucester Road and Earl’s Court tube stations with access across London via the District, Circle and Piccadilly lines.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. We hope to welcome you again in the future, as I am confident that your return stay will be as comfortable and as pleasurable as the most recent.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was staying in the east end in a great hotel and decided to stay in London an extra night but the rate was super high so we moved to Xenia. Room was still 400$ but its London and I thought it looked good from reviews. It's in Kensington, which is really nice and fancy, but if you are young and want some action stay in the East end. The hotel is nice from the outside and the lobby is very pretty and staff were all super nice. No faults there. The problems was the room. The most tiny room ever, Zero space to walk, and it was kind of dirty. White carpet is never a good idea in a hotel room, gives it all away. The room wasn't that clean on top of it, and being a bit of a germaphobe I had a hard time feeling comfortable. The bed was also super itchy and I'm trying to block that out. We were only in the room for about 6 hours so it could have been worse. I was traveling with a girlfriend but I couldn't imagine being in that room with my boyfriend or anyone bigger. Seriously, the rooms are small. Maybe the suites are bigger but for 400$ Im gonna regret that one for a while. Will say again the staff were all really sweet.

1  Thank Aspen09

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment on your recent stay at Hotel Xenia.

May I start by saying that I am pleased to know you found our staff and service to be friendly and helpful. We pride ourselves in providing excellent guest service and making those staying away from home feel most comfortable. I am sorry to hear that the size of your room was not satisfactory. Our room sizes do vary depending on type and layout. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future, and should you choose to, may I suggest you enquire about the different room types available when making your booking directly, which may make your stay more comfortable.

With regards to the cleanliness of your room, I am disheartened to learn that you did not find it to the highest of standards. After every guest departure, the room is thoroughly cleaned. It is evident from your comments that this was not your experience for which I would like to offer our sincere apologies. Please be assured the issues you have raised have been addressed to prevent any reoccurrence in the future. Our Housekeeping team often receive comments as to the immaculate and polished state of rooms. I’m sure that should you have raised this issue during your stay, our Housekeeping Manager would have been more than happy to investigate the situation and arrange for extra cleaning, or move you to another highly maintained bedroom.

I would be delighted to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and far exceed your expectations based on your recent impression, please contact me directly and I will handle your reservation personally.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Xenia recently.We booked an executive double room. The staff on the desk were efficient but fairly unfriendly, although the porters were very pleasant. The room was well decorated, clean but oh so small!! The bed took up half the room and the walking space around it was minimal. There were little touches which I suppose tried to justify the executive tag, like bath robes provided and slippers, a tablet with info on and a pod coffee machine. The little en-suite was exquisitely beautiful with rain shower and lovely quality toiletries but it was like a broom cupboard in size. It was honestly difficult to turn around in there!! There was a little balcony which was decked with some chairs to sit on which I liked a lot. The public rooms were also tastefully styled and it was very clean throughout. The breakfast served in the restaurant was average. Our waitress was very polite and friendly but no one gave us instructions so we didn't know whether to help ourselves or to wait. We ordered some coffee but no one took our breakfast order for at least five minutes. The food was fine when it arrived but the quality of the sausages could have been better. My verdict on our stay here was average because although the setting and location were good, the size of the rooms (although well styled) were just too small.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, so if it is possible for you, go for a suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A very warm welcome since we checked in, hotel staff were always friendly,very helpful and polite.Breakfast was the best we ever had in an hotel.We experienced once the restaurant for dinner, the food was just amazing, highly recommend it! Room very nice with balcony . Would definitely recommend Xenia and stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
HotelXenia, General Manager at Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay with us at Hotel Xenia. All feedback is gratefully appreciated by all members of the team.

I am delighted to hear that you found our check-in process and staff helpful and polite and all staff throughout the hotel to be so friendly and welcoming. The spirit of Xenia is to welcome guests as we would welcome friends into our home and I am so pleased that your stay was so enjoyable.

Furthermore it’s great to know that you tasted the Chef’s amazing cuisine, who is honoured to learn that your breakfast at Hotel Xenia is the best you have ever had in a hotel!

Thank you once again, on behalf of myself and all the team for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again, in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Unwelcoming reception, small room overlooking noisy room. Don't eat in the restaurant as the food was uncooked and cold after waiting 25 minutes , and the most expensive chips I have ever had in my life. When I complained the staff were completely uninterested. The staff in the restaurant could barely speak English and didn't seem to know what they're doing. Never again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your views of Hotel Xenia.

I am sorry to learn that you did not find your stay so satisfactory and I do sincerely hope you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards. Furthermore I am saddened to learn that you found our front desk team to be so unwelcoming, as their reputation amongst previous guests, for their courteous and efficient attitude and services is an area we pride ourselves on highly.

It is with regret I read your comments of your personal experience in our restaurant particularly with regards to our team and your trouble communicating with them. For the benefit of our readers, I would just like to assure you that all of our highly trained team are selected based on their attitude and ability to ensure diners have the best possible experience at our in-house restaurant and lounge bars, essential to which is their ability to converse in English, of course and one other language to best serve our international clientele.

We appreciate all feedback, and would like to speak with you in person with regards to your stay to discuss the issues raised. Should you wish to discuss them further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel; we really would very much welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Best wishes,