“Handy for quick stopover”

Studios2Let - North Gower
Ranked #45 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Derby
“Handy for quick stopover”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We arrived at 8pm on Wednesday evening and were given our keys by a polite and pleasant receptionist. Our room was located on the ground floor and was classed as a budget economy. Whilst our room was small and the bathroom tiny the amenities such as tv, microwave etc could not be faulted but most importantly the studio was very clean. The only problem that we encountered was the banging of other studio doors when we were in bed so not great for a good nights sleep. On the whole we were only in the studio a total of 12 hours and if it is a stopping off point you are looking for then in terms of value for money this is the place. Location is great with access to the underground and Euston mainline a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a very good value place to stay. As a solo traveller, the room was more than adequate for me - I couldn't imagine two people in there. Although there is a hob/oven/micro in the room, there is also a smoke alarm - something to consider when cooking. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The bathroom though small was functional and the shower surprisingly roomy. My main niggles was that the breakfast bar was tiny - only just enough space for one person to eat and the window. Firstly, the curtains are definitely thin. They veil rather than hide the outside. Meaning that it never gets dark. Not a problem for me, but if you need darkness to sleep, this will not be the place for you. The biggest nuisance for me however was the fact that the window was not double glazed. I was overlooking the street itself, and as well as the odd gust of cold air seeping in through the cracks (it was an old fashioned sash window), all the noise from the street did as well. The pub on the corner was busy until late with lots of people gathered outside to drink - and laugh. All in all, not conducive to a good night's sleep. The floors between the rooms are also very noisy. Everytime there was movement from the room above me it sounded like a herd of elephants. Shame, as otherwise locations, price and comfort was pretty ideal. Get these niggles sorted and it'll be hard to beat.

Room Tip: There is no elevator or disabled access. If you struggle with lugging cases or with steps then this...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Staffordshire
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just spent 1 night here. Yes the room was small but as there was only me it was not a problem. There is a lot accommodated in the room in the way of facilities ie sink, microwave, utensils, kettle and toaster but not all easy to access. There was no work top area, the plates etc were in the top cupboard which I could not reach, beware if you use the chair provided to try and get in this cupboard as it is a fold up chair it is not stable, also the microwave was a bit lower but when taking hot food out you are still reaching up rather than being at eye level. I am averaged height for a female at 5ft 5inches. I agree that the noise from the floor above was quite disturbing and the only mirror was in the shower room which was a problem as it could not be used when drying your hair. I could also not see any information on nearest fire escape in the room. On the positive side the room was very clean, well equipped and nice touches with toiletries, reception staff were also very friendly. The studios are ideally located and I would use again due it's location and price was good value.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

I just finished my stay and thought i would review while still fresh. As others have written, the location is great and the rooms are clean and well appointed. I stayed by myself and it would have been difficult to share. There isn't much room for anything besides the bed. The shower would probably fit inside a London phone booth. The two sinks have shelving or cupbourds just above them so they are difficult to use without splashing water all over the floor. I had a room facing the main street and it was very loud due to a corner bar nearby. Earplugs are required. A nearby room had a telephone ringing constantly throughout the day. A baby was crying across the hall. I could hear the entry door opening and closing throughout the day as well. They have a courtyard with picnic tables if you need to get out of your room as well as a lounge that i didn't see.

The woman at the front desk, I believe her name was Julia was very nice and helpful with all my questions. My biggest complaint of the place was what I would call a dumb tourist tax. I charged my room and signed the slip. I didn't read it until the next day where i found that they had converted the charge to dollars at a very unfavorable rate before charging me. It is explicitly written on the slip that I was given a choice of which currency I wanted it charged in. I was not given this choice and when I complained the next day they said there was nothing that could be done. I can't think of a legitamate reason why an establishment would do this other than to take a few extra bucks from unsuspecting tourists. I would insist that you have them charge you in the local currency. I did hear someone say they were paying cash and were told the hotel does not carry change.

I would probably go back due to price and location, but would be aware of the credit card issue.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Zatcer
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here for one night and were pleasantly surprised at what this place had to offer.
The rooms were very clean and kitchen well appointed.
The bathroom had nice touches such as toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor and shaving cream as well as other complimentary toiletries.
Yes the rooms are small so would not want to stay here for a long period of time, but for a few nights this is fine.
Staff on reception were friendly and helpful plus you can leave luggage there after checking out to save carrying it around.
Good location although traffic is noisy in the morning.

Room Tip: It can be noisy outside so do ask for a room at the back on the top floor if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nesto69
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed in an economy studio on the ground floor, near the reception desk. The room was lovely and clean, the kitchen really spacious, the bathroom tiny but ok. Other good points: a kind girl at the reception desk, very fast wi-fi ( free of charge), also the fact that you can leave your luggage there after your check-out and they will keep it safe till evening, if necessary.
Something that bothered us the most was the fact that in the evening you could hear every step of the guests from the upper floor. So, the sleep quality was not good, at least till the early morning hours. And in the morning, you realize that the curtains are not stopping the sunlight from getting in (which didn't bother us so much as we like to go sightseeing as early as possible - but if you want to sleep longer, this might be a problem)...Also, some smoke and steam was getting in through the window, probably from the laundry room.
The location is great, all means of public transport very near, a few pubs and shops next to the hotel. Having stayed in Studios2let at Cartwright Gardens a few years ago, I would rather choose that location in the future (although the price is a bit higher). All in all, this accomodation is fine for a shorter stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sonja964
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I chose this studio because of the location, which is wonderful. I was attending a week long course, and it seemed convenient because I don't like eating out for many days in a row.
The problem was that although there was a microwave, there was no surface where to place the food, and it was quite a challenge to prepare anything in such a tiny room. The worst though was the bathroom. It was so small that there was barely enough space to move. When after the third night my husband joined me, I found out that for a regular sized man it was impossible to use the bathroom without getting stuck to the wall, or standing outside.
To be fair I have to say that the room was really clean, and that they came to clean it after 5 days. The problem was that the cleaning staff broke one of my toiletries and didn't even bother to mention or do anything about it. When I complained to the person at reception, he said that he couldn't do anything about it since the cleaning lady had already left.
Besides all that, there was a lot of noise in the evening, it sounded like religious chanting which went on beyond midnight.
Truth be told, I wont be going back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the patio.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business