“Nice relaxing drinking hole”
Review of Fairly Square

Fairly Square
Ranked #12,156 of 24,683 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

Met with friends here for a pre-meal drink before visiting the nearby Bull Steak Expert. It's small, compact and cosy, but had a nice vibe. It feels more like a bohemian cafe than a modern bar, with a mixture of wooden furniture and comfy sofas. I've never eaten here, so can't comment on the food, but it's a nice place to chill with friends, especially midweek when it's not too packed.

Reviewed 26 April 2015

I ate at this cafe last night with a large group. It was obvious from the start they were not used to catering for such a large group . As the service was very slow and food took over 1.5hours to come out despite arriving at 6.30pm! When the food finally came out I was very disappointed it was supposed to be nigerian/Ghanaian jollof rice with veg/chicken stew. The chicken stew was swimming In a tasteless tomato base with very few pieces of chicken. The beans stew was pitiful and tasteless. Then out came an anameic looking fried plantain that looked like it was fried unripe not good at all. Not Value for money quality abysmal. I will not be returning. My advise stick to doing cafe type food! There was nothing Nigerian or Ghanian served up in this meal.

1  Thank shebup s
Reviewed 4 February 2015

I popped in to grab a quick soup/stew which I was told was both meaty and hearty. Not only did it take a strangely long time to be put into a takeaway pot, it was also rather overpriced. I was disappointed to get back to my desk and find not a stew but rather a large pot of potatoes and a couple of pieces of celery and onion. I believe I was told it was a beef stew. disappointing

1  Thank Wheeliebagger
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hidden gems are what makes a city - you walk round a corner, past the chain restaurant or tourist dive and find one. And Fairly Square is that. Hand prepared food, organic wines and beers, a happy hour, lovely coffees and a smile. I asked where the glasses came from; 'a charity shop that supports the homeless' was the reply. Nice. Ok, it's a little quirky, a little slow, but in retrospect that's just what I wanted. Lovely.

1  Thank skimeld
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Fairly Square bills itself as London’s first Fair Trade Bar and Café and I was intrigued to visit having been sent a weblink by a colleague. On visiting it’s clear that it’s more than just Fair Trade and they place an emphasis on the supporting other ethical and community initiatives – for example most of the furniture, glassware etc is from local charity projects and shops.

It’s open all day until late, working as a café by day and bar at night with a full selection of drinks. It’s got a welcoming, cosy feel and while very quiet on the Thursday afternoon that I visited, I can imagine it would be great little venue day or evening if enough (not too many!) people hear about it to create a bit of a buzz.

It’s only a short walk from Holborn Station, along Red Lion Street but is a little tucked away – nonetheless, in my view it’s well worth seeking out as I love what they’re doing.

1  Thank NSW78