“pre theatre meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went here for an early meal before a trip to the theatre. It was relatively quiet but service was good. The food was very nice, I had the pizza and my husband had the risotto. We also had some cocktails, there was a wide variety to choose from and they were very tasty

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Generally across from the Royal Academy on the same side of the street as Fortnum & Mason, 189Piccadilly is a place that could be easily overlooked. I've actually gone to it several times over the past 5+ years, usually as a spot to have a glass of wine while my wife shops in the area. I had had lunch there early on, the food was nothing special (but the service has always been nice) and I only used it as a parking place for a couple years thereafter. About two years ago, following an exhibit at the RA, my wife had a hunger for Italian food so we decided to give the food another chance --- especially since there had been a change in ownership. We were quite impressed --- and have eaten there three or four times since, and have never been disappointed. The linguini with a simple olive oil/butter sauce is a favorite of my wife's and quite reasonably priced. For me, I often go the Spanish Tapas rounte (with the new ownership came an Italian/Spanish combination) --- and am always quite pleased --- but most recently I went slightly heavier with a braised lamb, and it was outstanding. There are four to six chairs near the front where you can sit to have a glass of wine if you wish (wines by the bottle for meals are a bargin), but by no means would I consider this a cocktail bar/restaurant. What it is, is a place just off Piccadilly Circus that serves very good, reasonably priced meals that can satisfy singles, couples, or families with a nice variety of selections.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were looking for a restaurant with good food and cocktails, and were in Piccadilly as we had just visited the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. We cruised a few windows of Italian restaurants that lined the road there and while outside this establishment a meanderer stood nearby assured us the food here was excellent. Let's hope I do not bump into this person again!

We had a few cocktails to start that were slow coming as the restaurant was quiet and then we ordered a pizza each that when delivered were both cooked to different extremes. I asked for mine to be recooked as it had a chicken running around on top. When I eventually got to taste the food, I found the pizza base to be the most doughy that I have ever had. So not to my liking at all.

This poor food and service may have been because it was very late, but that still is no excuse!

1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at the near by Cavendish hotel who wanted £18.00 each for breakfast so we decided to try here instead as it was just down the road from the hotel. Breakfast cost £7.95 for full English and it was lovely. Clean tables, hot food. Would recommend.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Like many, we came here on the Groupon fish and chips offer. All the offer takers were ushered upstairs, segregated from the full paying customers. The waitresses were friendly but service was lacking. We ordered our drinks but these did not arrive for a very long time. We were 2 adults and a toddler and she just assumed we were not going to order further dishes and didnt even ask if we wanted to add to the order, although she had given us menus! We had to physically call over another waitress that came up (the first one disappeared downstairs and never came back). It seemed that the waitresses "visited" us when they had to bring an order up, otherwise they were nowhere to be seen!

The food however, was very good. The fish portion was huge and so fresh. The batter light and crispy, one of the best that I have tried. Only criticism is that the mushy pea was mixed with the tartare sauce in a small sauce pot, so hardly count that as a side. Nevertheless, we were very happy with the meal. My husband got a duck risotto and was also pleased with his food. We ordered dessert, the ice cream was good and the cheesecake flavourfull, but on the tiny side.

Would definately come for the food, but let down by the staff - so maybe will only come back on an offer, to compensate that.