“Be careful what you choose”
Review of 189 Piccadilly

189 Piccadilly
Ranked #16,609 of 23,228 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We chose this restaurant after a long day in London and my daughter announcing that she couldn't possibly walk any further looking for somewhere to eat!

We walked in and were greeted at the door and the lady sent us upstairs. There was one other family in the place at 7pm on a Thursday evening which I thought unusual.

We were seated by the window, but couldn't see much as there is a gap between the window we were seated next to and the window to the outside.

My son ordered a pizza which was fine. I had vegetable lasagne and my daughter the beef lasagne. Both tasted fine, but had hot spots in the food which to me, rings alarm bells about how it was cooked (or reheated?). Whilst I had enough to eat that I wasn't hungry, the portion was very small and certainly wouldn't have filled anyone with a larger appetite.

My husband ordered ravioli with ricotta cheese and lemon. It was a good job we'd ordered a side of chips and a salad as he received 6 pieces of ravioli in a line across the plate (at £10!!). It tasted fine, but his comment was, "where's the rest?" Unless you are planning 3 courses, I'd steer clear of the pasta!

I'm now wondering whether our experience is typical and the reason for the empty restaurant.

Be warned that they add a 12.5% service charge to your bill.

2  Thank SamanthaGibbs
There are newer reviews for 189 Piccadilly

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Whilst in London for a day we called in here for a quick lunch. The service was good , the pizza was good too. If you choose from the lunchtime special go for the pizza as the other options are about half the size of portion if chosen from the main menu, therefore not very good value. Pizza was the same so in theory got an almost free starter.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went here for an early meal before a trip to the theatre. It was relatively quiet but service was good. The food was very nice, I had the pizza and my husband had the risotto. We also had some cocktails, there was a wide variety to choose from and they were very tasty

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Generally across from the Royal Academy on the same side of the street as Fortnum & Mason, 189Piccadilly is a place that could be easily overlooked. I've actually gone to it several times over the past 5+ years, usually as a spot to have a glass of wine while my wife shops in the area. I had had lunch there early on, the food was nothing special (but the service has always been nice) and I only used it as a parking place for a couple years thereafter. About two years ago, following an exhibit at the RA, my wife had a hunger for Italian food so we decided to give the food another chance --- especially since there had been a change in ownership. We were quite impressed --- and have eaten there three or four times since, and have never been disappointed. The linguini with a simple olive oil/butter sauce is a favorite of my wife's and quite reasonably priced. For me, I often go the Spanish Tapas rounte (with the new ownership came an Italian/Spanish combination) --- and am always quite pleased --- but most recently I went slightly heavier with a braised lamb, and it was outstanding. There are four to six chairs near the front where you can sit to have a glass of wine if you wish (wines by the bottle for meals are a bargin), but by no means would I consider this a cocktail bar/restaurant. What it is, is a place just off Piccadilly Circus that serves very good, reasonably priced meals that can satisfy singles, couples, or families with a nice variety of selections.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were looking for a restaurant with good food and cocktails, and were in Piccadilly as we had just visited the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. We cruised a few windows of Italian restaurants that lined the road there and while outside this establishment a meanderer stood nearby assured us the food here was excellent. Let's hope I do not bump into this person again!

We had a few cocktails to start that were slow coming as the restaurant was quiet and then we ordered a pizza each that when delivered were both cooked to different extremes. I asked for mine to be recooked as it had a chicken running around on top. When I eventually got to taste the food, I found the pizza base to be the most doughy that I have ever had. So not to my liking at all.

This poor food and service may have been because it was very late, but that still is no excuse!

1  Thank Michael H