“Excellent food at a fair price.”
Review of Wahaca Waterloo

Wahaca Waterloo
Ranked #841 of 23,228 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Delicious Mexican street food on the corner of Waterloo Road and the Cut. Walls are constructed from recycled railway sleepers and over 4 miles of bright yellow cord make up the relaxed seating, bringing the bright colours of a Oaxacan market to this corner of South London.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We went to Wahaca for a meal to celebrate my sons birthday. We looked at the menu outside which seemed very reasonable for London, and expected there to be something bumping the bill up once we were inside. The food we had - a sharing menu plus other dishes for 3 of us and a chicken dish for the other - was totally faultless and the sweet potato fries were amazing. We had all of this, plus 4 desserts, 4 beers, 3 'posh' tequilas and a coffee for less than £25 each. All served by lovely staff. We'll definitely go back soon.

There are newer reviews for Wahaca Waterloo

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was taken here for my birthday after just returning from my New Mexican holiday.New Mexican food is making a lot of money in London but I think the food here was too Anglicised. I ordered the Quesadillas and they had no spices in them! They were like pita bread with cheese melted inside of them. Now I have eaten in New Mexican families homes and they would never prepare Quesadillas like that! Mexican food with out spices is not Mexican food!This must be done to please the intoxicated Anglo client-al.The Quesadillas I had in New Mexico were made with blue corn tortillas and had a delicious coleslaw type filling with the melted cheese made with a cabbage type vegetable called "Jicama" that gave the Quesadillas a crunch! Chilli sauce was provided in much the same way HP or Daddies sauce would be provided in an English cafe.These sauces were far too hot!They hurt going out as much as they did going in.In North and South America are hundreds of types of chillies and its so typically English to think that they all just "BURN YOUR MOUTH OUT!". New Mexican green chilli is mild tasty and so delicious that in New Mexico they are eaten even in the breakfast Burritos! New Mexican and Mexicans call the kind of food serves here "Gringo Mexican". I had a piece of "TRES LECHES CAKE" for my birthday. It was tasty but nothing like a real tres leches cake. I think anything goes in London and quite frankly they just make up some thing as they go along. But one thing they have right in Wahaca is the party atmosphere. That is truly New Mexican. Friends and family love to get together and drink and eat and have a good time. So go here for fun,not seriously good New Mexican or Mexican food!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

the food is very good but seriously small.we ordered 3 dishes each and they would barely fill a terrapin!good cocktails but very very expensive

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We're Americans who live in Germany, so finding a legit Mexican restaurant while in London for the weekend was such a treat. The food was delicious, prices extremely reasonable (especially for London) and the service excellent. The guacamole was some of the best I've had--just enough chili for a bit of a kick, but you can still taste the fresh avocado. The plantain tacos were unique and tasty--I'm not a vegetarian, but this is a great option for veggies. The butternut squash empanadas were very interesting--good, and not anything I've seen at a Tex-Mex place in the states. My husband ordered a third "street food" dish (pork tacos) because he liked the first two so much. The chocolate tres leches cake was, again, a new take and not really Mexican, but well done. Drinks were good, too, though the Mexican beer is pricy (but what can you expect?) The wahaca mule was a good tequila drink.

Service was fantastic, fast, and friendly. There was a howling child at the table next to us, wiping his nose effusions everywhere, like the chairs and tables (the nadir of the meal, but not the restaurant's fault), and once the family left, the waitstaff wiped down every single surface very well. Great attention to detail. I just wish we had a Wahaca close to us.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found this place by accident and didn't know what to expect. Quite modest exterior, just a menu poster that read "Mexican Street Food". Me and my friend said, let's give it a try ... and it was sooo worth it. The waitors were super friendly and the decor was modern and cool. The food was really fresh and yummy. I had the fish tacos and a virgin mojito - nom nom nom! To top it off we were pleasantly surprised when the check arrived - value for money, that's for sure. I would definately recommend this place to any one gping to London.