“Great Christmas Shopping Break”
Review of Courthouse Hotel

Courthouse Hotel
Ranked #645 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas. The hotel itself was quiet Christmas eve and Boxing day then got quite busy after that. The staff are very friendly and polite. We had a good deal through Gala Hotel rooms on a bed and breakfast rate. The standard bedroom was a very good size with good storage, comfy beds, plenty of mirrors. The only negative would be that the the water from the basin tap ran only hot, not cold. Good wide corridors, quick lifts, pleasant lounge area, nice bar, good quality breakfast. Our trip was purely for shopping and spending Christmas and Boxing day in central London, and the location of this hotel was spot on. Very easy access to most areas, 45 mins to Hyde Park, 20 mins to the Strand, 5 minutes to Picadilly Circus and China town, 1 minute to Regent Street, 2 seconds to Carnaby Street. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: I believe I was given their standard twin room on the first floor, which was a very good size and qu...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,548)

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I brought all of the staff from my office here for an overnight stay for their Christmas doo on December 6th & 7th 2012. There were 10 of us and I really wish I'd booked somewhere else. Having stayed at Doubletree Hiltons on several occasions in various locations and been very pleased, I thought this one would be a safe bet. My goodness how wrong was I. This one is nothing like the one I regularly stay at on Westminster Bridge and I am astounded at the huge contrast under the same corporate banner.

Breakfast was shocking - serve yourself from a few eat all you can style buffet sliding lid containers with burners underneath. The contents of which slung in and no care whatsoever taken in presentation. It was appalling. Call that a traditional English breakfast? I was so ashamed on Doubletree Hilton's behalf that the overseas visitors were experiencing that dried out, over greasy mess and leaving with the impression that the great British breakfast was like that. The staff were sullen and unfriendly on both mornings and on both mornings the tables were not set properly - I was having to ask for a teaspoon or a fork, even a coffee cup at a time when it wasn't even busy in there. Very sloppy indeed.

My room was a deluxe room and apart from the dreadful smell, was comfortable. I couldn't understand where it was coming from, it wasn't raining so the strong smell of drains, high up on the 7th floor, was a mystery. I called reception and asked them to send a maintenance person who of course said he couldn't smell anything, which was funny really when he didn't actually come INTO the room and just stood at the door, but my husband and I most definitely could - as could our staff when they stopped by at our room to see if we were ready. I asked to be moved on the first night but my request was declined saying that the hotel was full and another room in my category was not available. This is NOT what I expect for over £300 a night!

Overall I would NOT be in any hurry to stay here again. The reception staff were friendly and gave us all the welcome warm cookie synonymous with Doubletree, however that is where the similarity ends. The blonde haired lady in the bar was a darling, but other than that my advice to you is look for another hotel in this area because this one will leave you disappointed. It is not a cheap hotel but the standards are. You would get a better breakfast at a Premier Inn.

Stay somewhere else, London is a great city and home to some award winning hotels. This one however is not one of them and should be ashamed to carry the Hilton or Doubletree banner. Very disappointing.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank JYPayne
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

For the stylish traveler who is wishing to stay somewhere close to the action of all things london has to offer, this place is for you. The bar is really cool and well lit. Has been kept in its old school form with some of the prison cells converted into little private areas for drinks and nibbles by the bar for a more intimate feel.
The staff at reception were delightful, quite friendly and always available to help or give directions to various shops or places to eat or drink if I wanted to try something different to the wonderful restaurant food at silk or carnaby. The room I stayed in was very nice and cozy. The views aren't the greatest but being only a 5min walk to the tube stop Oxford circus means you can go anywhere.
If you want to treat yourself whilst on a shopping expedition to Oxford street and not have to carry the bags too far then this is your hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My rating is based on two visits due to the problems detailed in my review below.

We were given a voucher for afternoon tea for two for our Silver Wedding Anniversary so booked to have our tea on a Saturday in November. We arrived on time, presented our voucher, which was initially accepted, albeit given a 'strange' look. We were seated, a glass of champagne each was brought, then we were told our voucher was the wrong one and it would not be accepted. We couldn't understand this at all but as we only had our voucher with us and none of the other paperwork and being a Saturday there was no-one we could call. So rather than cause a scene, or have a 'discussion' with the manager, who incidentally, we weren't given the opportunity to speak to, we left feeling somewhat embarrassed.
After a few phone calls to the provider from whom the voucher had been bought and an exchange of emails with the manager of the Carnaby restaurant, they accepted they had made an error in refusing our voucher saying it was a new type and the waiter wasn't aware of the new ones. We agreed a new date for our tea and were offered an additional glass of champagne by way of apology. To be honest, I thought this was a little mean as we had paid to travel to London for our tea and would have to pay the same costs again.
Anyway, the tea was ok, 4 tiny sandwiches for 2 of us, several small cakes and scones with jam & clotted cream, which were nice. We could have refills of our tea more than once and we did get the promised additional glass of champagne. There was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant but it's an expensive tea for what you get.
Would I go back? No, I don't think I would. It's a nice looking hotel in a good location but as we didn't stay overnight, I can't comment on the room rate or quality of rooms etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Liked this hotel a lot. We stayed here with the three of us. Near Oxford street and Picadilly Circus. Staff were great , friendly and very sweet. We traveled with my old mother and they could not do enough. We had rooms next to eachother which had a door to share ( 303/302) This was perfect. The man at reception upgraded us to these rooms without charge " it was nearly christmas" he said. We had afternoon tea in the Old courtroom , which was good. Never knew i booked a hotel with so much history. John Lennon and Mick Jagger were here. We stayed 3 days and we really all agreed , we would come back to this hotel next year when in london. by the way do go to the Bar, cocktails are great , bartender very sweet.( turkish gentleman )

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed here for one night to celebrate my birthday and see the London lights. Fantastic location very near to the Palladium and opposite Carnaby Street and Libertys. Lovely staff who parked the car for us so easily and gave us a free upgrade to superior room. Room was great all usual facilities which were modern and for once a sensible place for ladies to do their hair with modern hair dryer. As it was my birthday the staff delivered two beautiful pieces of chocolate cake with happy birthday written on the plate such a nice gesture. The hotel bar is very quirky with the old cells still there from the prison for guests to enjoy. The Silk Restaurant is fabulous and set in the old Courtroom. Breakfast was included, which is often unusual for London hotels and was plentiful. Great hotel steeped in history in a wonderful location thank you for a lovely stay

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights for a short visit to London before Christmas. The positives were the location and price (particularly for the time of year). The room itself was small but comfortable, and the shower (over bath) powerful. Downsides were the cost of the in-room wi-fi (£15 for 24 hours), which is more than most people pay for a month at home, and the fact I had to call housekeeping twice for an iron, and when one did turn up it did not work. That said, if we were staying in central London again for a similar trip, we would definitely think about staying again.