“very convenient place to stay”
Review of Courthouse Hotel

Courthouse Hotel
Ranked #634 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days. Hotel itself is an above average hotel (not outstanding!) but the location is great. Very close to metro, and shopping area. Also very safe in the evening. I stayed in a deluxe room, rooms do not have a view (unless you stay in a suit) and are not quite big but if you're looking for a hotel with perfect location, there you are.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank imtravellingsoiexist

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I had booked expecting a 5 star hotel, but I was very disappointed. The staff were generally rude, not attentive and arrogant, and seemed to be happy to ignore guests (except in the breakfast room, where they were pretty good), there was no offer to help with my luggage on arrival or departure. The room seemed fairly clean, except from the bathroom, where the surround around the basin needed a real good scrub to remove the stains from previous guests, and the carpet under the desk which was in desperate need of replacement / repair.
The breakfast selection of hot food was pretty poor, with the bacon and sausage sitting in there own fat and the scrambled eggs were disgusting (they didn't even look right). I ordered the "traditional roast beef" from room service, when it turned up it was a few bits of fatty steak cut up, with stir fried veg and undercooked potato's and yorkshire pudding; I was obviously very disappointed but the person delivering the food didn't seem to care (he wouldn't even bring the food into the room, must be a dump and run policy).
I could not understand why the queen size bed had two single mattresses on it, it was incredibly uncomfortable especially for a couple to share.
My room was not made up until late afternoon which I also found inconvenient as we were waiting for fresh towels when we returned during the day to change.
I was constantly disturbed through the night by noise in the alleyway and the intermittently noisy AC system.
Whilst I was getting ready to leave (at 1050) I was disturbed by a hotel employee banging on the door asking if I would be much longer before I left; this really annoyed me as check out time was 12PM and the room was still mine.
The trip was pretty much ruined by the quality of this hotel, we always stay in 5 star hotels and had we known that this was so far beyond this mark we would have booked elsewhere. They do however still seem to be happy to charge 5 star prices for there 3 star product. The only real positive I have is the location for shopping.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel is perfectly located for shopping (although I hate shopping) and the shows and, of course, great restaurants. On arrival, however, the location gave me initial concerns as to the possible noise levels and disturbed sleep that might ensue, being so close to bars/theatres but, thankfully, my fears were unfounded and this simply was not the case. We had a front of hotel suite overlooking Liberty's and Carnaby Street and lit up like a Christmas tree but once ensconced in the comfortable and roomy bedroom, curtains drawn, we were not disturbed by neither light nor noise levels from the streets and bars below. The sound proofing is excellent.
The hotel has been converted from a former Magistrates Court and much to their credit, they have retained a lot of the character and features (including the converted cell seating in the bar area and the courtroom dining room where we took breakfast). This adds to the ambience and features of this well run hotel.
From check-in to check-out the reception, bar and waiting staff were all fantastic. Polite, courteous and cheerful they go about their business efficiently and effectively giving the overall impression that they are happy in their work and they are a credit to the hotel making our short stay pleasant.
The rooms, are spacious, clean and well designed as are the public spaces and the bar (servicing excellent cocktails and a fantastic club sandwich).
We are looking forward to another and this lovely hotel and it has definitely made it onto our list of places to stay on one of our frequent visits to London.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My family and I have been visiting this hotel for 6 years, and have just spent a much anticipated long weekend at the Courthouse, where the service, cleanliness and general hospitality has always been exceptional and made a real difference to our experience.
I cannot describe therefore how thoroughly disappointed i am with my most recent visit. Some things have not changed, breakfast room staff helpful and friendly, everything else has from the absolutely dire approach to housekeeping to the lack of care and general courtesy of the bar staff. Every day I called housekeeping because they had not provided the basics, coffee, milk or towels being the general theme, dressing gowns threadbare, my 8 year old nephew makes the bed better, removal of hand towels and none replaced, in the communal toilets in the lobby I did not go in once when the bins weren't overflowing and loo rolls stacked on the floor rather than in the holder, bulbs gone in my room and communal areas, tables not wiped, I could go on. I am really surprised that the standards have slipped so badly having previously given really positive feedback about this hotel. I have gone from recommending it to friends and colleagues to now suggesting it is avoided. Location remains fantastic, but the standards alongside hospitality have slipped far from 5 star. It's sad that people save their hard earned money to have a pre Xmas treat only to be this disappointed. Advice to the Courthouse? Sort it out because I was not the only return guest who commented on this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 410sarahc
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Really enjoyed our two nighter here...great service from the staff...location is the big one however right opposite carnaby street yet quiet and chilled.

What was left for Breakfast at 10am was a little Patchy and it could be improved on. Went for room service on second morning and it was fab.

My only gripe was the room service lady opening the door and walking in at 9.15am on our last morning...not great really!

All in all a great stay

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A very different hotel with three 'cells' in the bar. Good rooms of a good size in a terrific location within walking distance of most of the main attractions. Carnaby Street is right opposite this hotel

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keen-holidaymaker
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A really lovely hotel. The rooms are great, the food is good and the staff are very helpful. The location is also excellent, just at the back of the Palladium. All good, especially the cocktails. Being a woman, i love comfort and a good nights rest - i got both....yea!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business