“Not impressed on this visit...”
Review of China Garden - CLOSED

China Garden
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Arrived at around 7pm on a mid-week night. The place was very quiet with only one or two tables in use. Bizarrely we were led to a dirty table and had to wait until they had cleared away the previous diners items, reset the tablecloths and cutlery etc

Did not get the impression that the staff were at all happy and everyone seemed generally depressed.

We ordered some bottled beers, starters and mains with fried rice. Portion sizes were small and regrettably the vegetarian tofu was so microwaved as to be inedible. Total bill for two was just under £50.

It might be that they just had a bad start of service that evening but they need to improve all round if they are to make an impact on the Finchley Road dining scene. Based on my experience, I could not recommend them at this time..

Likes:
+ Plenty of seating
+ Complimentary fruit at end of meal

Dislikes:
- Tofu so microwaved it could pass off as rubber
- Small portions
- Staff need to smile a little more; too grumpy and unwelcoming

1  Thank llyryo

Reviewed 26 October 2013

authentic Cantonese dimsum at a very reasonable price (london level)
food serve fast and staff service is ok
good place for a family out to have the traditional Cantonese afternoon tea (yumcha)

1  Thank heydichan
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I are local customers. We have been visiting this restaurant for many years and have seen it change management several times. The quality of service and food has been 'up and down' over the years. Recently, it has been quite good and we are going more often.

Went for dim sum yesterday (7.9.2013). They were booked up for a function in the main area, and we were given a table in the room at the at the back. Despite the staff being visibly busy, we were properly attended to and we enjoyed our weekend dim sum lunch.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Group of 12 of us who work nearby went for a friend's "birthday lunch". Table booked well in advance so our experience can't be blamed on the large group.

We ordered drinks first, the glasses were dirty when they arrived. Everyone then ordered food from the lunch menu - starter and main for around £7 which seemed good value, until the food arrived, which everyone (those whose had arrive anyway) ate because they were hungry, but was bland and definitely not fresh.

The mains that didn't arrive: One of our friends ordered a dish from the vegetarian menu that contained meat when it arrived. They took it back and took another 20 minutes to bring the correct dish out. Although everyone else had finished eating and then had to wait for him to eat, they insisted on charging him when he questioned the bill, saying the dish always comes with meat, despite being in the vegetarian section of the menu and him waiting almost an hour for it to arrive.

I ordered singapore noodles which didn't arrive until my friend (mentioned above's) food arrived, despite someone else ordering the same and it arriving with everyone else's food! After several reminders, no apologies, and being told "it's coming" I explained that I had to go back to work for a meeting within the next 10 minutes so now wouldn't have time to eat it, as well as the fact that everyone else had nearly finished, so I wasn't willing to pay for it. The lady I spoke to, who seemed quite senior, agreed and put my food in a take-away box. As I was starving I had a quite bite or 3 before leaving. One of the 3 people serving us then CHASED ME DOWN THE STREET, saying her manager would charge HER for the food, so if I was taking it I had to pay for it. I argued that they can't change their mind and that they'd only have to throw it away now because I've already eaten from it but she was adamant, and quite aggressive with her attitude so I gave her back the food and walked off. I'm not sure why she'd want it back, surely she can't serve it to someone else...?

2  Thank SabreenaK
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The outside appearance of the restaurant looks run of the mill and a bit tacky. However when you see the menu and the prices, you soon realise that its anything but. For a Tuesday evening there was a good turnover of customers. Service was efficient with a very friendly hostess engaging with customers. I found my seafood soup with coriander to be very dull, with no fishy taste. My main meal was also disappointing. To be fair the other dishes I saw, looked quite appetising. One note of caution, I queried the final bill due to an overcharge for drinks we hadn't had. The staff took an eternity to sort the bill out and appeared not too pleased that I had noticed. Service charge is also included in bill. Wouldn't completely rule out another visit but would stick to dishes I am more familiar with to avoid disappointment.

1  Thank James M