“Disappointing”
Review of Mansion Bar and Parlour - CLOSED

Mansion Bar and Parlour
Cuisines: British, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
London, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I took my mum as a treat as she has been quite unwell, to the Mansion Bar & Parlour it is very near to Earls Court Station which was handy.

We were greeted by a lovely waitress who took us to our table and gave us our menu, she did ask if the table was ok - as she could see I was looking around for another. It was a table on its own no cloth like all the others tables that were laid out in crystal like glasses and looked lovely, ours was plain black with black cloth serviette and a gold knife cups and saucers clear thick glass, the table was positioned on it's own, away from the others in a sort of walk through arch..this would of been ok if a stage was not directly behind me being set up and an events company parading through nosily chatting and erecting speakers and such like.

Overall the food was adequate the scones delicious, the tiny circle shape sandwiches not so the bread was quite dry like they had been made an hour before we got there and left, the display/cake stand was very nicely layed out with fresh berries and did look nice - but overall was disappointing the cake pieces were a small piece of carrot cake I would say not homemade and the small bakewell piece also tasted shop brought there was though I must say enough for two people.
The tea was very nice and our cocktail also delicious, although the milk came in a hideous small bottle with a swing top that was not very nice at all.

There were no other diners and we felt shoved out of the way, whilst preparations were under way for the event that was happening that afternoon.

When the waitress came over to see if everything was ok I did say that I was not happy with noise of the surroundings, she very kindly offered us a glass of champagne immediately, we had already had our cocktail each and being the afternoon declined the offer, the waitress call the manager over, who also immediately offered champagne (must be the standard offer).

I did explain we had travelled for over an hour half to get there and she offered her apologies. I feel we should of been offered a full refund.

I left feeling very disappointed.

1 Thank janey a

London
“Not recommended for special dietary requirements”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Good setting and convenient location - I'll give it that. Also good non-alcoholic beverages.

However our afternoon tea (both times) was quite disappointing - waitresses got the orders terribly wrong(served us foods prohibited for our diet), and communication was a bit difficult. Management responded very well to our concerns afterwards and offered very fair compensation to make up for inconveniences, however we found the the tea and food itself is about average. chef was very accommodating with freshly baked scones to order. Glad to see other TA members have had good experience, we just wouldn't recommend it for special diets (vegetarian for eg)

• Visited April 2014
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Tastecard's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Me and my partner were staying at the Holiday Inn just a short walk away and chose to use the Tastecard App to find a restaurant in the vicinity of our hotel. We eventually settled on the Mansion Bar and Parlour, a decision we certainly did not regret our decision. There was no issue with booking, despite only 2 hours notice and when we arrived we were greeted by 2 friendly and welcoming staff. When we arrived we were the only people in the restaurant, but it didn't feel empty or awkward, the restaurant itself looks lovely and the decor is cosy.

The entire menu is tempting and it was difficult to settle on just one choice for each course. I went for the stilton cheesecake to start and it was genuinely one of the nicest starters I have ever eaten, I could not possibly praise it enough, the chef who created it is most definitely some kind of genius. My partner had the Greek salad, which was also a delightful twist on what could have been a very basic starter.

The main courses came promptly, my duck main course was again brilliant and everything served with it was tasty and cooked perfectly. The only slight downfall was my partners main, she ordered the pork fillet, wrapped in bacon, however it was served rare, very rare, raw in fact. But this was dealt with swiftly by the restaurant, a whole new dish was brought out and an extra plate so that I could share. The pork was still served rare, but tasted lovely and I could perhaps be brought around to pork being served that way. The desserts were a perfect way to finish, the chocolate torte was amazing and the eton mess also very nice.

All in all, the food, drinks and service were all ideal and there would be no question of whether or not we would recommend this restaurant, it was amazing and everyone should try it - especially with a Tastecard, very few places where you will get food this amazing at such good value.

London, United Kingdom
“Lack of Service both during and after visit”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My boyfriend and I went to the mansion parlour for Sunday lunch a couple of months ago. So much went wrong it was laughable. Our starters came out and one was wrong so we changed it back. Then when we had finished they took away our plates and immediately put our mains down with no break in between. The same happened with dessert except one of those was wrong too so we had to send it back.

After desserts we were ignored for about 20 mins. We wanted to grab coffee but just wanted to go at this point to we grabbed a waitress and asked for 2 cappuccinos and the bill. Only the coffees came and they had so much cocoa powder on top that it was super bitter and we had to swipe off the foam. After grabbing about 3 more staff to ask for our bill it came but we had been charged for champagne that we hadn't drunk. They changed the bill, we paid up and were short changed. We couldn't be bothered for the sake of a couple of pounds so just left.

I have tried to complain a few times but am just completely ignored. Once I was tweeted back saying they hadn't received my email so I resent it with a delivery receipt and have heard nothing since - even on twitter where companies usually respond to stop themselves looking bad!

Completely unacceptable and would never return.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Amanda C
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Afternoon!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Am so glad i bought the wowcher voucher for Mansion bar and Parlour! The venue is chic, the music was soothing and the afternoon high tea was just right! I am very happy i have found this gem of a venue as i will be coming back again! Well worth a visit and the service was really really good.

• Visited May 2014
Mansion B, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mansion Bar and Parlour, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hi Sherees,
Thanks for your great feedback and glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. We have just launched our bistro menu last week and a great reason for you to return for a spot of lunch or dinner. Fixed pricemenu 2 courses £9.95, 3 courses £12.95 or chose our upgraded fixed price option at just £19.95 including a glass of our house wine :) Drop me an email if you like to book a table. Hope to see you again soon. Regards Lai-Ha