“Quirky and good food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a great little restaurant just across the road from Earls Court tube station. Very tasty food, great service, and a good price. We ate the set menu, 3 courses for just under £13 and it was well presented, tasted lovely and there was plenty of it. Accidently got stung for £6 for a bottle of water rather than asking for tap water, but hey, I can't remember everything! The restaurant itself is designed in a strange 1920s to 1950s mix, we couldn't quite decide which and there is plenty of space between tables so you don't feel cramped in and they played Dean Martin type stuff all night. A good night at an easy relaxing restaurant.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited this restaurant on the 8th June for an early Fathers Day treat for my partner & Father.
The deal was a living social deal ,three course Sunday Lunch with Jazz.
Table was booked for 2pm. We arrived 10minutes late which we had advised by telephone. Our table was not even ready when we arrived, we were told - wait over there , this was a table in the bar area. We decided to get a drink at the bar, very nice bar area. There seemed to be a bad atmosphere , waitresses were looking stressed, avoiding eye contact. When I had to ask again , is our table ready ? I was given a blank look and told there were no tables in the restaurant but we could have a table in the bar. Kind of defeated the object because we had come to enjoy live jazz music in the restaurant.
I said I didn't want to sit in the bar , another waitress then pointed out to our waitress that there was a free table in the restaurant which she hadn't realised was vacant.
So we waited again for this table to be set up , time was around 2.30 by now.
Menu looked very nice and we ordered our food. I asked for a wine menu, I ordered a nice bottle of Nobilo.
The waiter came with the wine, which was plonked on the table unopened. As he walked off , I noticed it wasn't the wine I had ordered. I called him back and he took it away, only to return 5 minutes later with the same bottle. He explained it was the only savignion he had.
We drank it and it was ok , but when we asked for another bottle later on he said that they had no more bottles of white wine????
I laughed and actually said, is this a joke ??
Our starters came and were nice, no complaints.
The jazz music came on in short starts, they seemed to have quite a few breaks. Pleasant music.
My partner and I had ordered Roast Chicken and my father & nephew had ordered Roast Pork.
The two pork roasts came out- looked appetising and generous. Our chicken was no where to be seen.
They had got half way through their mains and I asked the waiter ' where's our food?'
The reply was- there is no chicken.
Ok, so what can we have??
We only have brisket of beef left ( bit late to inform us of this !)
Ok then we will have the brisket ( not what we wanted but we needed food)
My father and nephew had finished their meals and we were still sitting there without any main.
The atmosphere in the restaurant was very tense, people were complaining left, right and centre.
It was awful and very embaressing, we had travelled quite far for a very bad experience.
People were sending food back , people were getting the wrong orders.
We decided to leave and I spoke to the manager who blamed everything on the chef whom she said was new and he didn't know what he was doing !!
I tried to do something special for my father this fathers day as we have just lost my mum, well i wish i'd gone to a Toby Carvery or Macdonalds would've been better.
Steer clear

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have got groupon deal for Sunday roast and Jazz and we were extremely disappointed. I will start with very poor service, waiting staff was non existing on the floor. We waited 40 minutes for a starter to arrive, our drinks arrived afterwards! There was some dirt in my drink so I decided to go to the bar myself and asked for a replacement. When I saw the girl who was preparing my drink used her bare hands to add a lemon to my drink I started to be very concerned about health and safety standards in this place and a qualify of food.
There were 3 waitresses in the table section we were sitting in, they had no clue what they were doing. One of the waitress delivered our order to a table next to us, which had already food on their table. When we mentioned that is our order she run back to the kitchen (or somewhere else?) and came back with our food 10 min later. The food was cold! I have reported it to the very first waiter I noticed and asked him to bring me fresh and warm potatoes and carrots. I waited another 20 minutes and at that point was soo fed up with the whole service that we left.
Overall what I have noticed waiters/waitresses did not give full attention when dealing with customers. For instance when my partner ordered a drink and I wanted to ask for soup of the day, waitress went to the table next to us as they called her, then she came back to me. Very poor service. I had to ask for our table to be cleaned after our starter as dirty dishes were sitting there for pretty long time.
Few guest around had the same experience, as we spoke to them while waiting for food. 2 ladies and 1 gentleman sitting at the table next to us, they have not received their food for longer than us. Several different waiters/waitresses came to apologise and at some point one waiter offered a free bottle of champagne, well those ladies were not impressed and asked for the food being delivered asap. Note to management: free stuff does not solve problems!
As per promised music, which was supposed to be from 12:30, well it wasn't, 2 guys started playing around 2:00pm and restaurant was dead silent.
Very disappointing experience, please avoid this place!!!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Lots of cocktails o choose from and then choice of a la carte or fixed price menu - good value and good food.
I would recommend it.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had purchased afternoon tea at Hotel Indigo as a Groupon deal and I'm very glad that we didn't pay full price because it was such a disappointing experience. We had booked two vegetarian teas before the day but the waitress didn't seem aware of this. Sandwiches were tiny circles (would probably get 4-5 out of one slice of bread), fillings were unimaginative (carrot sandwich anyone?) and the bread was dry and bordering on stale. Cakes were very small portions and appeared to be shop bought. Cream provided for scones had been prepared much earlier as it had an unappetising skin on it. Napkins smelled horrid, musty and unpleasant. Only good things were the waitress (although she certainly didn't offer replenishments of cakes etc as management have commented on a previous review) and the cocktail. Certainly wouldn't recommend , worst afternoon tea we've had.

1  Thank Beverley H