“Lifesaver!”

US$137.53*
3-Hour Guided Private Walking Tour: The Best of London
Ranked #143 of 709 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Private guided tours to cultural and historic sights throughout London and Southeast England. We offer a number of pre-set tours but can offer a bespoke tour for no extra charge. We will collect you from your hotel and provide drinks & light refreshments. All costs for the day are included (except for shop or restaurant bought services) & you will be returned to your hotel at the end of your trip.
Apex, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lifesaver!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stephen Liddell was exactly the tour guide we needed to enhance our July 2014 tour of the British Isles. Over a three-day period, he transported us, while touring along the way. We covered a lot of ground in those three days and he did a great job of making certain we were able to get to each one of these places with enough time to enjoy the experiences. The largest chunk of our trip was spent on a 10-day Celebrity cruise of the British Isles (also wonderful and recommended!), but Stephen also helped us with that, by transporting us to and from the port, which was in Harwich, a 2+ hour drive from London. On our arrival day, he picked us up at Heathrow early in the morning, drove us to St. Albans and Sutton Hoo for quick visits, and got us to our ship in plenty of time before we sailed. My favorite day with Stephen was right after the cruise, when he picked us up at the port early in the morning and we had tour stops at Hampton Court Palace and Highclere Castle. Wonderful history in both beautiful places! A refreshing picnic lunch on the grounds of Highclere was just what we needed to keep us going through our busy afternoon. Afterward, he dropped us at the door of our hotel in Windsor. Bright and early the next morning, Stephen picked us up again and we ventured to Bath, Stonehenge, and Lacock Village. Another delicious picnic at Stonehenge held us through another full day of touring, before heading back to our Windsor hotel. It was a lovely trip all around and we are thankful to Stephen for helping us simplify our plans by providing both transportation to/from our cruise and the knowledgeable guidance we needed to make our stops with him most educational and fun. He knows the history of the area and has many stories to tell about it! His fees are fair and much more reasonable than many other guides I looked into. Also, he has been very patient with us over the months of planning this trip, as we tweaked and made changes fairly regularly. His positive, friendly attitude will make him your friend, as well as your tour guide. Thanks, Stephen, for a fabulous trip!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank sdrellis
YeOldeEnglandTours, Owner at Ye Olde England Tours, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
One of the best aspects of this job is that I get to meet some amazingly wonderful people. It was such a pleasure to take you both around southern England during those 3 days, especially with such incredible weather. I'm so glad that I helped give you a dream holiday. I will always remember our days out too, particularly to Hampton Court and Highclere Castle. Downton Abbey will never be the same again! Many thanks for your great comments!

Hamburg, Germany
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Sherlock&History-Mix”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just had a great 4 hours tour with Stephen. It was meant to be a Sherlock-Tour, which we booked for our youngsters (as they are fans of the modern Sherlock). During the trip we asked Stephen to mix it a little bit with historic infos to London to the important areas we anyway passed on our tour. That was a real great mix for our youngsters and the oldies, Stephen gave us lots of infos and everybody was very happy and satisfied.
We highly recommend Stephen and we will for sure contact him for another tour, when we are back in London.
Thanks a lot!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Nina W
It was a real pleasure to take you and your lovely family on a walking tour of London. I'm so glad that you had such a good time. Your kind comments a greatly appreciated. Hope to see you all again one day!
Bloomingdale, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Stephen Liddell - A thorough professional”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stephen Liddell was a thorough professional from the time of conception of our trip to its completion. He came highly recommended to me from another friend of mine who had used his services on their trip to London for ten days. I was not disappointed about the recommendation and would gladly do so for others looking for Guide services in London and around in the future.

Stephen had planned our trip for three days to the city based on our interests and was also flexible. We were a family of five touring London for three days. He did the walking tour of the main sights in the city, the Tower Bridge, Tower of London and the Windsor Castle with short side trip to Bakers (Sherlock), and the Wembley stadium. He would arrive at our hotel for pickup and take us around with his cheerful disposition and eagerness and willingness in his attitude to share and help with his vast repertoire of knowledge about the English history.

He was also very kind enough to provide outline for a couple other cities in our itinerary which proved to be useful and came in handy. My teenage son particularly wished we had him provide his expertise while we were visiting other cities in Europe. That pretty much says it all !!

3 Thank SathyaSri
YeOldeEnglandTours, Owner at Ye Olde England Tours, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Sathya, it was such a pleasure to be your guide for those 3 days and I'm pleased my guide to Paris was a help too. You have such a nice family and you were all a lot of fun to show around London and Windsor. Thank-you for your kind words and it was really nice to meet you. Thanks also for your gifts, a very unexpected surprise and something my wife and I have been using almost every day since. Do say Hi to everyone for me!
Hyderabad, India
“wonderful experience.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Highly recommended! stephen liddell has become a friend after travelling with him for only a day ,his knowledge was extremely useful and upto our expectations ,i was travelling with my family and all of us thought he was of great help and not only that he is a great human being so... Thank you stephen

Visited June 2014
Raja! thanks for your kind review. It was a pleasure to meet you and show you around the London streets, inside some of the sights and also our day out in Windsor too. It's always nice to make a new friend and I have already put your photography tips to good use! Hope to see you again one day in the U.K. or India!
Hamilton, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great day trip- thanks to Stephen”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked Ye Ole England Tours for a day trip from London for myself and my 2 teenage daughters. Stephen was very helpful in planning our itinerary before the trip, and gave us suggestions for the day. His correspondence before the trip was great, and he was very professional. The day of the trip, he met us promptly and drove us to Avebury, where we toured the standing stones, and Lacock town and Abbey. Both of these destinations were very interesting, and Stephen was well versed on both of the locations. Since he is a historian, he told us interesting facts about the country we were traveling through, and kept us entertained during the trip. He had refreshments for us, and allowed us to have full control over the day- how long we stayed in each place, where we stopped for photo ops, and we even adjusted our tour during the day to eliminate Salisbury (we were getting tired) and driving by Stonehenge.
Stephen was an absolute joy, and I without reservation recommend Ye Olde England Tours. Thanks for a great day in the country!!!

1 Thank Nikki G
Oh Nikki, I am thrilled that you had such a great day out. It was pretty much the perfect day out in the country wasn't it. I'm lucky that I get to see many nice places but I particularly enjoy meeting nice people and I will always remember the three of you. Your daughters are so polite but very fun too. I hope one day you manage to come back and stay a little longer. Thank-you for your kind review.