“A Lovely Surprise”

Ranked #63 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Lovely Surprise”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at the Morton upon my arrival in London for 3 nights, and returned for five nights in June after several weeks in another location in England. I had reserved the Omega Suite, partially because I wanted to be sure I had the highest floor possible re: noise (which didn't bother me from this height, especially with air-conditioning: I rarely heard any noise) and I liked the idea of having a small kitchen where I could eat dinner if I wasn't out, or any other meal or snack. There are many shops nearby for groceries, and the Brunswick Centre was so convenient for this and other shopping needs. My room was not huge, but not as small as I expected with decent closet space for 3-7 days or so (ask for extra hangers), a safe deposit box, and a very comfortable bed-and a large one too! I loved it! The kitchen has the basics you need, no oven, but microwave for quick meals from Tesco Express or Waitrose at the Brunswick Centre. I had reserved breakfast in advance and I have to say that for me, I was a bit let down. The hotel is not able to offer hot food, and the sameness of the offerings, heavenly carb laden, got tiring. I would also suggest that although the breakfast room/lounge is lovely, the chairs for sitting down are not comfortable to eat in-they are either too low or too high for the tables. The staff was very helpful around questions-especially transportation, and one even walked me to the Carphone Warehouse when I wasn't sure where it was. Although the hotel is a block from Russell Square tube or less, I found that taking the 91 bus to Trafalgar Square often got me where I wanted to go quickly as I saw a lot of theatre and also spent time at the National Gallery. Some of the staff's directions turned out to be a bit off-I suspect as they gain experience that will change. The decor is lovely, both in the rooms and in the lounge area in the basement. I am an art lover and the prints by the Bloomsbury group as well as the art books were a welcome addition. As long as their prices remain similar to what I paid, I would definitely consider the Morton again-and would stay in the same room! PS. I'm afraid you got me hooked on Walker's shortbread ;-), which was provided along with teas and coffee packets, etc., every day. The hotel is quite clean and housekeeping accommodating. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The higher the better. I liked being away from the elevators and foot traffic, given where my room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Waterwoman10
ImperialLondonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Morton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and giving us the chance to address the points raised.

We were pleased to note that the Omega Suite was so comfortable and made you feel confident to book the Morton for your second visit to London. Equally, we were glad you found the sound insulation to be adequate, our windows are now triple glazed to ensure our guests are not disturbed.

We were delighted that you appreciated the concept for the kitchenette which is aimed at accommodating a number of our guests' requirements, and that this extra facility was so useful. Equally, we were glad that the equipment in the room was up to standard and some features like the bed particularly suited you.

We have taken on board your comments regarding breakfast and would like to assure that we are evaluating options to provide hot food. Equally, we were disappointed that the choice for breakfast was not as ample as you wished and we have forwarded your comments to our Chef for his consideration. We would also like to assure you that we have noted your feedback about the sitting area in The Library, our Guests normally enjoy the ambience and layout at breakfast as well as the selection available. We would like each and every one of our Guests to experience a top-notch stay and we are thankful for any feedback that helps us to achieve such a challenging aim.

Our staff were flattered and rewarded to hear they came across as helpful. Our personnel undergo continuous training and our Guests' feedback is vital to ensure we continue to improve.

We are glad that you liked the decor and the ambience throughout the hotel and the welcome treats provided in the room. We want our Guests to feel spoiled so please visit us again soon for another enjoyable stay and more treats to pamper you!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Diletta Alberghina
Guest Liaison Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This a a perfectly situated, modern and super-comfortable hotel. The staff is young, international and very knowledgeable. We were a family of five in the Charleston apartment which was spacious and comfy for our big group. Every time I asked for assistance on making reservations, sightseeing advice, making copies or any other need we had, the charming, friendly staff complied readily. We loved The Morton and would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our rooms were very quiet. It might be helpful to request a room in the back away from traffic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gina M
San Jose, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is among my favorite hotels I've ever stayed in. My husband, brother, sister, and I booked the two bedroom "Charleston Apartment" for five nights and had a stellar experience. Both rooms were LARGE--plenty or space to move around and unpack. I didn't sense much difference between the two rooms other than the fact that the master had a tub in the bathroom. Both rooms were clean, well decorated, and generally pleasant. I also give a big thumbs-up for the bathrobes--I always think this is a nice touch. It felt like a high-end boutique hotel. Though this isn't clear on the website, each bedroom in the apartment DOES have it's own bathroom. Both bathrooms had a blow dryer and were quite spacious.

The small kitchen (well-appointed with a dishwasher, toaster, mini-fridge, microwave, stovetop, and full complement of plates/dishes/silverware/serving utensils) was off the master bedroom, separated by the bedroom door. Off of the kitchen was the living room area with a table for eating. The living room area also had a sofa, coffee table, and large TV, which allowed us to watch the World Cup games together in the evening. We found the apartment to be a great value, as it allowed us to eat breakfast in the hotel and easily bring back food for a quick lunch or dinner from the Pret around the corner. The second bedroom was off the living room, again separated by a door. There was plenty of space and privacy for all. We were up on the 4th floor and didn't notice any street noise.

The location was also excellent--just a few steps away from the Russell Square tube stop. It's also only about a 10-minute walk (with luggage) to Euston stop, which allows you to easily connect to Paddington and the Heathrow Express. The British Museum and British Library were also easy walking distance.

We happened to be staying at the Morton during their one year anniversary, and we were invited to a Tea Party to celebrate. The party was in the well-decorated, cozy lobby and we had a lovely time, feasting on tea, champagne, and finger foods. As a parting gift, we were given a bottle of wine. This little extra really took our stay to the next level. While this tea was free for guests due to the special occasion, they also have a regular afternoon tea service for a fee.

I only have two small areas that I think could be improved. First, the front desk staff seemed a little green--while everyone was friendly, the level of service and ability to answer questions about the area was limited. This may be because the lobby is on the garden level (one floor below the entrance of the building), so you don't walk past the front desk when coming or going from the hotel. This means that guests don't regularly interact with the front desk staff, perhaps lending to that more detached feeling. Despite the lobby's location, I still felt totally secure since a room key was necessary to operate the elevator/access the stairs. Second, our "king" bed was two beds pushed together. I think this is quite common in Europe, but the crack between the beds makes for a slightly less easy sleep (though the mattresses themselves were fairly comfortable) .

All in all, we had a wonderful stay, and I will DEFINITELY be staying at the Morton when we return to London.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor (rooms 42 and 43) and didn't experience any street noise. If traveling...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ATS001
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This small 31 bed hotel has been newly renovated. It is well located, in Bloomsbury, just off Russell Square, and minutes from Russell Square tube and Euston station, so well suited for us tourists visiting London. We arrived at Euston, a 5 minute walk to the hotel, and from the hotel we took the tube into London, or walked. Leicester Square is a 15 to 20 minute walk.

The room on the fourth floor was very clean and well appointed, , with very comfortable bed, large TV, new roomy ensuite, and plenty of space for belongings. Would stay there again.
Simple Breakfasts are served in the basement in the sitting room.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed in the Morton Hotel on the 15th and 16th July room 25. What a gem of a hotel. Room was spacious, bed was very comfortable, tv with full sky tv not that had much time to watch, lovely shower and bathroom. I am a light sleeper room was overlooking side street where tube station comes out and noise was not an issue slept like a baby.
Breakfast was continental great choice and delicious well with the £7.50.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Travelled on my own to meet relatives from Australia who also stayed here felt totally safe as need key card to access hotel off street and dead bolts on room doors.
Russell square tube station is 1 minute walk great for getting around London.
Will definitely be going back and soon hopefully.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tmcleods
calgary
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed on the third floor, which we heard was better due to street noise. We had no issues with that whatsovever- however the walls are pretty thin and you do often hear other doors open and close and the cleaning staff in the morning. The lift can be noisy as well, so I would recommend a room away from that.

The rooms were clean and very modern. It was so relaxing to come back to after a day of touring the city.

The location couldnt be beat for the price. We were a 2 minute walk away from a tube station and five minutes from the British musium.

Make sure you try he late's they were spectacular!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better that are not facing the street, and away from the lifts.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripaholick
Toronto
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Morton Hotel, June 15-19 in Room 31 before heading out to Devon for 3 nights. Upon our return to London we spent one additional night at the Morton before taking the Eurostar to Paris. This last night we were in Room 41. Both rooms were the "Bloomsbury Bedroom" and have been renovated to a high standard. They were immaculately clean, with all the amenities you would need, a wardrobe with hangars, safe, small fridge, great (free) WiFi, a large TV with lots of channels, and a large beautiful bathroom with walk in shower. Everything seemed very new, and although the rooms are small, they are designed well, and there was lots of space for us to walk around in our room without bumping into each other. We were not bothered at all by the street noise as mentioned by other reviewers, in fact we did not even seem to notice it at all, and we were situated at the front of the hotel with a view to the street and Russell Square. The beds were extremely comfortable and we slept well. It is about a 20 minute walk to Covent Garden from the hotel, and the Russell Square tube station was perfect for getting all around London seemingly in a few minutes! We attended a concert at the O2 arena on June 18, and even getting back to the hotel by tube took no more than an hour even with all the crowds departing the concert at the same time. We would caution against taking the tube to Russell Square from Heathrow if you have a lot of luggage, as on arrival at Russell Square you will have to walk your luggage up a number of steps before you get to the lifts - and the lifts can be very crowded at most times of the day. We did not take advantage of the breakfast at the hotel, but there is a Pret a Manger located across the street from the Russell Square Tube station which is a perfect spot for breakfast before starting your day. The staff were very efficient, checking us in and out quickly, and available if we required any assistance during our stay. If you are going to be visiting London soon, we would highly recommend the Morton Hotel. On our next visit to London, we will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple