“Hidden Gem”

The Rose Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rose Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,031 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Rose Public House sits in the back streets of Southwark near the Borough Market and from the outside it does not offer very much. Even inside, the seating is quite basic with rough cushioned benches and solid wooden tables.

Get beyond that and you get friendly/helpful staff, a good selection of Beers and Wines and a reasonable menu. The Pies are all homemade and look large and fantastic but we routed for the Barnsley Chop and the Salmon. Quite soon later we were served with our good sized portions, cooked to perfection and served with fresh vegetables. Although there was not the variety of vegetables we would normally like, the quality of the meat and fish and the way it had been prepared and cooked was perfection.

We will definitely return!

Fantastic experience awaits your table
Completes a taste that's so rewarding
An experience that's a delight at your table
Completes a taste that leaves a great feeling
Fantastic memories to take away ....x

by PJ

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We visited on a Friday evening, the place was busy but not rammed. We had to stand at the bar before grabbing a table, but that was no biggy.

The drinks offering was impressive to say the least. Im a bourbon drinker and was surprised to see Blintons,Weller and proper Sazerac. We all had a beer to start though, I can drink whiskey all night. This pub have their own brewery we were told, OWL? Would've know?

We got a table, and a few beers in (table service) we looked at the menu and decided we had to eat, watching the food coming from the kitchen swayed us massively. All looked great.

I had the devilled kidneys. One of the guys had a venison fillet, another the baked cod with clams. This isn't your average pub grub, although pies and sausage rolls were on the menu too.

The decor has to be admired too. It looks like someone spent a lot , except the penny floor, looks about 30 quits worth but it was made of pennies,wow!!

1 fault, get some more chairs, we watched 5 guys trying to sit on a 4 person bench. Looked a bit cosy.

Great night though. Definitely coming back. Maybe I'll book though.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This place is a bit like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it, nothing in between! Personally, despite only having been there the once, I love it. It's a fairly small gastro-pub situated close to The Shard. I say "gastro-pub" but you wouldn't think it as it goes out of its way to make you think it's just a local boozer selling food. It's a noisy, bustling place where it can be hard to hear yourself think. But it's noisy and bustling because it's busy, and the reason it's busy is because the food is excellent. And so is the fancy-pants selection of interesting beers and ciders.
The menu is "compact", but nonetheless good, and changes daily. My dad had a Pork Loin with Red Cabbage, my son a perfectly cooked and tender Sirloin Steak with a Peppercorn Sauce and Hassle Back Potatoes and I couldn't resist the Venison Sausages with Mash and Caramelised Onion Gravy. We all had cheese to finish and the bill, including two bottles of Malbec, several beers and some stickies, came to £140. So, quite a lot for dinner in a noisy pub, but we did hammer the booze a bit! Must mention the service, despite our waitress being run off her feet, it was really efficient and she was great.
The only downside to the visit was, despite having booked well in advance, we were given a table out the back and around the corner next to the stairs down to the loo. So, if you do go here make sure you request that you DO NOT want this table.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Taking dinner at The Rose, right in front of Greenwood Theatre of King's College Guys Campus. I ordered a Steak. A really huge steak for me. Lol. It was nice and good atmosphere. Very friendly bartender and waiters. I do really want to go back to there. :)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'd been told about The Rose a couple of months back and had been promising myself a visit. Finally got round to it and I had wished I had done it sooner. Gorgeous rustic interior, almost feeling like you've stepped into a dickensian London tavern. Wine selection was great as was the wine recommendation from the team.

We went on a Friday night and whilst it wasn't like rush hour on the tube inside my friend and I did have to wait a bit to score ourselves a table, however this didn't matter as it was wonderful to prop ourselves up by the bar and sink back into the friendly atmosphere of the place.

Feeling a bit peckish we decided to have a few snacks....oh my days...the sausage rolls, out of this world!

Overall a lovely venue. Friendly team, great atmosphere and delicious food just what you are looking for in a pub, especially in London. Will definitely be coming back.