“Charles Booth Walk- Deptford”

Charles Booth Walks
Ranked #61 of 751 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Charles Booth walks offers London walking tours that use Charles Booth's Victorian poverty maps to find routes through some of London's most fascinating and historic quarters.Literature, architecture, history and geography combine to excavate the past, present and future. Highly rated by The Guardian and Huffington Post.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I really didn't know where Deptford was until I booked this walk and I think I know London pretty well.....it's next to Greenwich! Having been on the Sean Patterson's Whitechapel Charles Booth Walk I knew it teach me a lot about the area. It is longer than the other walks at 3 hours but this time is filled with interesting tales of the East India Company, Russian Royalty and philanthropy.

We saw examples of new and very old properties in the area, the importance of it's transport links and the the way the River Thames played an important part in it's long history along with continuing references to the Poverty Maps of Charles Booth.

He told me while we were walking that part of the walk is going to be featured on Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys programme early next year!

A very enjoyable walk that also includes a visit to a very nice pub!

1  Thank Leighleigh2013
in 47 reviews
in 26 reviews
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went on this walk yesterday and it was so interesting. The guide was brilliant, he clearly has a passion for the area. The walk took in loads of social and political information with great sources, I am a Londoner but I feel so much better informed about all the history on my doorstep.

1  Thank CharmLShake
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I've been on a few walks in London and this was by far the best. The leader really involved the group and had lots of entertaining facts up his sleeve. It inspired me to read up more on the area I live in. Will be going on another one.

1  Thank lopp_pott
SeanPatterson2014, Manager at Charles Booth Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thanks so much for that. I hope to see you on another of my Charles Booth Walks.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

A group of us went on the Deptford walk a couple of years back and we still talk about how much fun it was! Sean is an excellent guide - friendly and informative and he uses Charles Booth's poverty maps in a innovative way.

We covered such a vast array of topics and sites and I will definitely be booking a future walk with him again. Thanks Sean!

1  Thank peeled_apples
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have done two of the Booth walks and look forward to trying the Whitechapel walk. The walks are informal and entertaining dotted with relevant pieces of prose/poetry. Sean has clearly extensively researched his area and one comes away feeling well informed as well as exercised. Booth must have been a fascinating character who undertook this immense public health study well before such observations were on the sociological agenda, often it sounds like, placing himself in considerable danger. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in a more informal and more educative aspect of seeing corners of London which is a welcome departure from your average site seeing expedition