“You might get what you pay for...”
Review of Newham Hotel

Newham Hotel
Ranked #946 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“You might get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

For a group of five, £120 a night seemed very good. We were prepared to all be sharing the same room and same bathroom as advertised. Received a phone call the day before we were due to travel, saying that we were being split across three rooms (It sounded like three rooms, one double, one twin, and possibly another twin for the last friend of ours. Difficult to understand over phone.) This seemed ok as I assumed we were still reasonably together and in a hotel, and that each room would have its own bathroom. So I agreed on the phone and left it at that.

Upon turning up, we were taken out of the main hotel building (which from what we saw didn't look too bad) and next door into a block of flats. Each flat seemed to be split into around four rooms, with a shared bathroom. We ended up with one twin room, two single rooms, and another single in another part of the building! It also turned out that our next door room-neighbor was a staff member who lived there? It felt like we were staying at a strangers house! So my partner and I were sharing a bathroom with two of our friends, a staff member of the hotel, and the random guests he seemed to have himself?!?

The decor was tidy but shabby. Bathroom well-used. Each bed had one clean towel supplied which was fresh each day. The TV in our room worked fine (one set of batteries for two remotes was fun though) and we had freeview. Our friends rooms had either no freeview or a TV that didn't work at all. Tea and coffee facilities supplied, had to plug kettle in and leave on the floor to boil. Beds varying degrees of lumpiness, didn't dare investigate beneath sheets but first inspection was clean. One pillow per bed, ranging from "ok thickness" to "you're basically sleeping on the mattress".

Noise was a combination of shared bathroom next door to our room (which had a terribly loud noise every time toilet flushed or taps were used), our staff-neighbour next door who had guests over who slammed the doors until 1am (we could hear every word of their conversations, walls very thin) and the main road outside our window. Windows useless, was as if they were wide open, could hear conversations of people passing in the street. Curtains may as well have not been there either. Didn't fully close, broken so didn't meet in the middle, thin as anything.

Breakfast fine, buffet-style full English with cereal and fruit as options. This was served over in the main hotel, from 7-9. Due to sharing a block of flats with other random guests, didn't feel very safe as there was no reception or door security for the block. Not filthy but not clean. Paid a deposit of £10 per set of keys, but as there were so many of us (and we weren't all there for check-in) paid £20 for four sets of keys, refunded on checkout. No hairdryer in rooms.

Overall, if you're staying in the main hotel you might get what you paid for. For us though, it was a whole load of strange and unwelcome surprises. Combine this with a very bright, noisy room, ended up with two terrible nights sleep. Will not return.

Room Tip: Possibly ask to stay in main hotel but unsure if this would be any better or not!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hester M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leeds
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I am writing this review with the most honesty and integrity and It is extremely tricky putting it in the correct words to describe the Newham hotel. It is a nightmare on Elm street. Newham hotel may be cheap but it is just not worth the time, effort money etc. AT ALL!!!
Let me put it to you in a more descriptive manner. Me and my partner decided to go ahead and book the Newham hotel for the night as we had some business in London. We live in Leeds. This was my life's BIGGEST MISTAKE as the hotel lobby area was more like a 70s darts room. Dreadful. The staff there don't greet you at all and act like as if you are taking their blood. DISGUSTING customer service. Anyway when going to the room which was like a maze as everything is on one floor. The carpets had puke and other stains on them. The smell was absolutely unbearable and i stated this to as soon as i walked in to which the man at the desk replied " sir it is not a bad smell" in his broken english accent. So immediately he has better judgement than my own nose. Okay i smiled and we got checked in and made way to the room, which btw he did not direct us, he pretty much gave us the key and said go find it, its down there. I was shocked that this organistation is still standing.
When approaching the room: There was damp and green mould around the walls on the outside of the room. (this was the case throught the whole of the hotels corridors) I thought this does not look too good. So as we walked in me and my partner took a deep breath as the smell almost hit you really hard in the face. It absolutely stunk!!! The damp and rot smell was something that my collection of collognes would not extinguish. I still get flashbacks of the dissapointing look in my partners eyes as to what i had done. She trusted me with booking the hotel and i thought cheaper option was better but boy was i wrong. None the less, we were there and IT GOT WORSE!! You wouldn't believe how worse.
So as we had travelled from Leeds and it was a tiring journey by car we were feeling restless and my partner decided to have a soak. On the advert it stated has bath tubs. To our surprise.. Nothing just a shower. i still thought hmm ok at least there's a shower. My partner was adamant for the bath tub so i went to the lobby and relayed info to the arrogant and very unproffesional man. He stated " you read it wrong on advert sir, your bad" I was like " huh?" that is possible i may have but how dare you? So i said "fine my bad, thanks" and went back to room. I was getting worked up now and to cool my anger i sat on bed and switched some telly on. The TV remote btw was handed to us on arrival which made me think "who pinches remotes" then it all made sense. The area had many yobs and hustler looking people about but i didnt want to be judgemental and thought maybe this is the style or trend around these areas. So as i was watching telly my partner shouts at me from the bathroom and states that the water is cold. I said nah she is imagining that. So i went in and had a check. She was right the water was unbarable. I asked if it came out warm forst she said yes for 3-5 minutes. I went and complained to the man. He said " sorry we will look at this, i will check the boiler" i respoonded with an okay. After another 5 odd minutes of waiting, no difference. Again we waited a further 10, No difference. I had lost it at this point. Got on my phone checked for hotels and found a cheaper one on Edgware road.. This was paradise compared to the hellbound Newham hotel. Even though it was last minute the rates were still good. I told her to get changed we are leaving this [--] because the very thought of further torturing my loved one in this way made me feel nowhere near like the man of morals that i am. I went to the man and unleashed on him. I'm from a customer service related background so i know that no matter what customer is right but with in reasonable means. I expected a polit-ish response or atleast to try and console me as my wife was feeling ill and i had informed him of this. He replied " oh so you use my hotel for 2 hours and now you wan tyour money back?" I was reluctant to Hit him and said " you what? how dare you say such a thing?" come with me now and check the water, what kind of a hotel does not provide a necessity as such? " he stated no i will send my staff i am a manger here" I laughed and said "ok, whatever does not warrant you to act this way with anyone". His staff member came and checked. he said "yes it is very cold" (in an indian accent) Respectively as i am of Asian background myself. My partner is dual heritage (white / asian). When this man came back with me to the lobby he said to the man "it is coming out a little bit warm only". I said " mate, you were saying it is sub zero temperature in there and now its a little warm is it?" I laughed hiding my anger and said " you guys are running this place illegal aint you?" The Arrogant manager responded in a nervy manner and said "no, no we are allowed" Beats me what he meant by that. Further to this i said "are you going to refund me or not pal? Cut the bull" He stated " No there is nothign wrong with this place, i will change your room why are you leaving why dont you want another room? huh huh? is it because you are finished with your business?" At this point i threw my bag down, told my missus to sit in car and i ran towards the desk, i hit my palm on the desk and said " How dare you say that? what are you insinuating?" He acted like a victim and said "so why are you shouting if it is not true?" I said " becuase you are insulting us and classing me amongst the regulars you have visit here. ( I know this becuase there were two teen boys with some teen girls calling them in to the hotel which he overlooked) I further asked him how changing rooms would help? I said to him "The boiler is one for the whole building, each room does not have a seperate boiler so how will changing a room help us? ". He had nothing to say accept. i am not giving money back. I said not a problem. I will tell people about this place not to defame you but to stop honest people coming to this brothel you run here.
The choice is yours fine people but i promise you that you will wish you had taken this eperience of mine that i had just earlier this month very very seriously as it will ruin your trip and your morale immensly.

The managers style was so backwads it wasnt even an autocratic style it was just.. something else. He had a face you would walk into with a hammer. A very smug disgusting smile and look.

Thank you for reading. happy hunting. Trivago is a good site that's where i got the lifeline from when i was in the dump. ;)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Ahmed W

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Just arrived and already worried about hygiene!
First impressions were reasonable apart from nearly tripping on the entrance mat that was turned up....!

As soon as you leave the reception everything is of a poor standard.

Just checked the beds for signs of bedbugs (better safe than sorry), and although the sheets appear clean, under the sheets it's a hairy gruby mess on the mattress/mattress cover. Ewh!

All I can say is wish me luck!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank NikNix1
Boleslawiec, Poland
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Really nice hotel, close to the bus stop, tasty, quite big breakfast, very friendly service. The rooms are clean, well-furnished. Hair dryer, fridge and towels are available in the rooms. the rooms are cleaned and the towles are changed every day.
The big defect is low water pressure in the shower.

I recommend :)

Room Tip: The rooms for four people arequiet and bright.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julia R
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I booked for one night the room and toilet were clean but no kettle they bought one when asked the fridge is not working so I had to put my stuff in the reception fridge the huge problem is the noice avoid the rooms facing the main road you can hear people's talking in the road and too much traffic noice even at early houres of morning the breakfast is ok I would recommend this hotel if it is less noisy

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We booked the hotel from a London booking site so never read the reviews 1st, upon reading the reviews we were quite apprehensive about our visit!
The hotel was a good 10 minute walk from the station and there are an array of shops and fast food outlets walking down-all good so far.
Upon arriving at the hotel we were booked into the room fast and was pleasantly surprised. We paid a £10 deposit for the room key and remote control. (we did receive back upon departure) We had booked a family room and inside were 2 double beds and 1 single. All really clean. There are tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and tv. Perfect for us with children. The shower did take a knack to get to the right temperature but once there it's a ok shower. You don't receive any complementary shower gels or shampoo but again there are many shops within a few minutes away to purchase. Rooms are cleaned/hovered daily and Beds are re-made although bedding wasnt changed (I don't change mine every day at home). New towels are added and bathroom cleaned.
Breakfast is served from 7-9 in the mornings offering cereal, toast and a full English, apart from the coffee not being as hot has we like breakfast is perfect. Our children love their food and have found breakfast fabulous-they choose to eat has much or has little has they like, the staff made an extra effort to chat with the children and have been pleasant with us.
Whole in whole we would recommend this hotel - we are a family of 5 and struggle to book places without having to book 2 rooms. We look for location, price and cleanliness when staying anywhere and was happy with what we received. We will stay here in the future if we are to visit London has a family. I'd recommend to people who are happy with a basic room, good breakfast and a cheaper option than booking 2 rooms. Most importantly to us everything was clean.

• Stayed March 2013
uk
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Newham hotel is a basic hotel, just some where to get your head down for the night,
I had a single ensuite room which just had a single bed, TV, and two bed side cabinets (no wardrobe), The room was cold at night, The shower was hit and miss,
The reception booking in was ok but booking out was blut, no how was your stay,or bye, just took the key card and said " you can go now"
breakfast is a buffet style, wont win any michelin stars, all i can say is warm and not much else
Price I would say it was not worth £45 a night more like £25 a night
so if you are looking for a place to get your head down for the night and not worying about decor and comfort, you could stay here !!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo