“filthy corridor and filthy hotel carpets”
Review of Newham Hotel

Newham Hotel
Ranked #945 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“filthy corridor and filthy hotel carpets”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Staffs were unfriendly especially the kitchen staffs. The management should see to the hotel corridors/ hallway because stinks, carpets too old needs replacement, Breakfast serves 7.am to 9.am tool early, is that delibrate for guest to miss breakfast? Hotel furnitures too old and breaking down.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hotchocblue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Booked five rooms as organised a family trip to london.. this hotel 'almost' ruined our trip. Turned up & the location was pretty grim! Very run down & an absolute dump. Staff were rude, no organisation, no one shown us to our rooms they jst asked for £10 deposit for each room, handed us keys & remote & let us get lost in the tunnels of doom otherwise known as creaky corridors. Room numbers were all over the place we needed a map! Room 8 was awful! Touched the walls & thought i was going to fall through them- they were soft with mould! Bad drainage problem the bathroom stunk, was unclean & small. Took one look at the bed & was glad i did not have a uv light, could see stains on sheets never mind the rest! Complained and requested to change rooms but they said they were full and only option was a building that was not even part of the hotel that stunk of weed, had single glazed windows & resembled a creepy hostel - must have been workers flats! We had no sleep because of the noisy busy road & had to share a bathroom but did not dare leave our room! Did not feel safe at all & was rudely awakened by a man on the phone (loudspeaker) speaking in a different language at 6am next door! Breakfast was poor and everybody got in each others way, cups & saucers were in one place, milk in another. Hardly any tables & the mushrooms looked anemic. DO NOT STAY HERE IT WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE WE HAVE HAD ..at least we have learnt to pay more & stick to well known chains i.e travel lodge etc. The rooms were nothing like the pictures, very misleading, this place needs closing down to be honest!!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank lwill1

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I wouldn't be without Trip Advisor, but feel that over the last year or two, its integrity and accuracy are being eroded by people who give bad reviews to Hotels that really don't deserve them.

London is one of the most expensive cities in the world in which to stay, fact (!) and its difficult to book a decent room for less than £100 in the Centre. The Newham Hotel is based a few miles out in Forest Gate, 5 minutes walk to Forest Gate train station (trains to Stratford and Liverpool Street every 10 minutes most of the day) and 2 minutes walk from a bus stop with a 24 hour service (every 8 minutes during the night) from Central London (Oxford Circus, Bank, Tottenham Court Road).

The area is fine, a little run down in a couple of parts but we felt safe and were back in the early hours during one night. Reception is pleasant; we had a good, efficient welcome on arrival. Furniture is dated, bur rooms are clean and warm and to the person who said the heating was high (it was during our stay!), why on earth they couldn't turn the radiator down or ask for help doing that I have no idea! The room was adequately sized, certainly not the box room you often get with budget hotels and it was immaculately clean on the day of arrival and following its daily servicing.

The bar offers cheap drinks and breakfast was great. The quality of the cooked breakfast, particularly the bacon, was high. Staff were really polite, helpful and efficient.

If you want an immaculately presented bang up to date hotel in the Centre of London, then this is not the place for you - my advice would be to pay Central London prices.The floors slope a little, the furniture and decor in the rooms are a dated (though perfectly serviceable and the bathroom was quite new), but we paid £50 a night with breakfast and for this sort of price, this hotel is a great little find, magic! I get increasingly irritated with people not factoring in value for money compared with other establishments on Trip Advisor

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MG100_10
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here whilst working in London ,don't want to stay again .twin rooms very small,dirty mould and damp everywhere ,smells of damp , bathroom dirty full of mould plumbing terrible toilet constantly blocking until someone comes to unblock it with a mop or a plunger for the shower.unfortunatley there isn't a zero on the ratings because they would of had that score . Especially a for the young Asian man that dripped is heavely soiled mop that had been down the toilet
straight past my bed dripping all over the already dirty carpets.

• Stayed November 2013
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I would like to start by saying that this hotel was good value for money, especially considering how late we booked. I would have liked to have given a 3.5, as opposed to a 3, but alas I cannot!

We had three rooms, two of which were on the ground floor. One of these faced onto the main road and as we had the windows open, there was a lot of road noise, but we did sleep decently on the second night when we shut half the windows. The bathroom was spacious and the room was comfortable and clean. The second room was also a little noisy, but again we slept well, though it was a smaller room with a very small bathroom. The third room was upstairs and was more spacious again.

Some of the décor was a little run down and there was dust on top of the wardrobe, but the linen and bathrooms were clean and that was the important thing. The staff were very friendly and happy to help us, and we had an enjoyable stay. The free breakfast did include cooked options and while not the most adventurous or extensive of things, was also much appreciated.

I have been very lucky with other budget hotel stays, but provided you expect no frills and don't mind if things are a touch run down here and there on a cosmetic level, this hotel is good value and full of lovely people, which is to be much valued. They also have free parking, which is again much appreciated.

Overall, a good budget establishment, many thanks to all the staff =]

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jaz C
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The website is extremely misleading. I booked a London trip through a company and they booked this hotel for me and my husband. Where do I start--there was black mold in the ceiling of the bathroom and on the wall by the windows. The windows did not lock either. VERY scary being in a shady neighborhood. It is a 20-25 minute walk just to the metro and bus station. It is not the closest to the center city. The wall sockets stuck out to where I had to hold in my phone charger until it stayed and held the charge. The TV remote didn't work and the replacement I was given didn't either. Also, I cut myself the night prior and a little blood was on the sheet. The next night when we went to bed the spot was still there!! They didn't change them, just made the bed! Disgusting! You can hear everything going on--outside and above floors--so we woke up quite a bit. All furniture was scuffed in some way or another. No shampoo was given, just a bar of soap--about the size of two quarters! No floor mat, or washcloths, just two towels. Not even a phone in the room to make local calls. I asked to use the office phone (to book a tour) and they told me to use the pay phone outside. The cleanliness was the worst for me and my husband.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I spent there few nights with my boyfriend when we were on a trip in London.
We are not very demanding and we look at first on a price, than comfort.
Anyway, we used it only as a sleeping place and whole day spent in the city, so I can definitely recommend this place for all with the same intentions.
Breakfasts were rather good, so were the services at the reception. When I asked for a hair dryer, I got it in few minutes.
They also have a wi-fi in the lobby with a great signal.
Our room was very gloomy, but as I said, we didn't even spent there more than few minutes a day (except sleep).
Location was also ok, 15 minutes to the center of the city and 3 minutes to the stratford shopping center

• Stayed June 2013