Pembury Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfinsbury park stationalexandra palacebooked this hotelwould stay againone night staytea and coffeetubepubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Pembury Hotel good location and cheap and very good breakfast. Staff nice and do everytihng that you ask for. Short distance to football and not so long for the shopping in all areas and underground near by

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just. Don't. Got put in a room next to the stairs, unbearable. Had to shove in earplugs to muffle the sound.

Was constantly woken up by people lumping up and down the stairs at all hours and slamming doors at 6am shaking our room!!

Walls so thin you could hear the tv below word for word.

When the water was running in the room above the pipes would whine.

The bathroom although very clean is tiny.

The room itself was lovely and very clean!!

Internet conked out on the second day.

Finally. The main light in the room went. And I mean main. It's the only one.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Really small twin room. I have never seen such a small bathroom, ever! The shower head only trickled. There was a kettle in the room but the wash basin was too small to fill the kettle and also said 'not drinking water'! We got a good price but would not dream of paying what they are asking at the front desk.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Having no train to go home due to Virgin Trains cancellation to trains going to the North West of England I had no choice but to try and find a hotel at the last minute. Finsbury Park area was suggested by a rail operative at Euston as everyone stuck like me unable to go home was trying to find accommodation. The second hotel I tried was the Pembury and they had just one room left. Imagine my surprise when the noticeboard showed a room cost as £110 for the room available yet I was told £130. When I asked why the hotel receptionist just said "did I want the room, that was the cost". Being tired and needing to get off my feet I accepted but was really shocked that that attitude was given.

The room was acceptable, the shower horrendous - you really cannot move in them it is like being boxed into a cupboard. The floors outside the rooms are not carpeted - you hear every movement and the noise in between rooms is very easily heard. A 2am return for 2 people was very clearly heard step by step and full conversation - not something I would have chosen to listen to!

Overall - I was grateful to find a room in an emergency but would I choose to return to this hotel ever unless it was an emergency, it certainly would not be my hotel of any choice if I had one.

The only upside - at least the WiFi was free so that I could keep an eye on trains recommencing and plan my next day's travel - I did get home ... eventually.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan J
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiancé and 2 friends over the weekend, from Friday till Monday. Thankfully we had booked our room online from Olotels and got the room for 51€ per night. I believe at the reception the price quoted on the wall for a double is 110£ per night. I will say for 51€ per night, it is a good hotel for its proximity to London and to have a bed and a roof over your head but if you were to pay the full price it is nowhere near the quality it should be.

First off, we stayed in room 110. We had booked a double room. We thought it would be the double ensuite as on their website they have double, twin and single ensuites... Our room had a double bed, a tv, a desk and a closet. The bathroom did not have the bathtub combination it advertised. The bathroom was EXTREMELY small, borderline a closet. If you are claustrophobic or even slightly bigger in size you would not be able to fit. Beside the toilet on the wall there was a towel rack that we could not regulate heat and instead it was constantly burning and if touched you would get burned. The shower was very tight and there was no water pressure. When I took a shower I felt dirtier than when I went in. I felt like the water stunk of skunk or cannabis. Later the next day we saw the room beside us and the people had definitely been smoking marijuana in the rooms. In addition to the bathroom problem, the wifi was unreliable and barely able to receive 1 bar of service. The tv had many channels but only 2 worked of then worked. The bed was okay; not my best sleep but not my worst.

Our room was on the ground floor so when opening the windows and drapes there were people who walked beside the room. The room walls are so thin you hear everything... Alarms, doors opening, conversations, etc.

The breakfast was toast, cereal and ham and cheese. Not sure if coincidence but every morning immediately after we took the breakfast we were extremely sick to our stomachs.

Not very nice customer service. Spoke many languages although sometimes in English felt there was misunderstandings. They never smiled!

For us, the only positives to this hotel is that it is VERY close to finsbury park metro stop on the Victoria line. This makes it easy to get downtown and this is directly on the line from Victoria station if you arrive by bus or gatwick express for example.

Having stayed in a range of accommodations from minimal to luxury I would say if you can get the same price we found it is manageable. We were out all day and only were there to sleep at night and have breakfast. Although if you pay full price I think you may have more luck elsewhere.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends