“Excellent choice for London”
Review of Pembury Hotel

Pembury Hotel
Ranked #895 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We are a mature couple and have been travelling for 13 months.
This hotel was a real little gem.
It was close to a Metro station; there were plenty of buses up and down the road outside.
There was a lounge and little restaurant attached where hotel guests had a discount.
The whole place was quite clean.
The room was adequate and the bed quite comfortable.
The bathroom was very small but clean and functioned well.
We had no street noise.
The continental breakfast was really nice.
There was no WiFi in the rooms but plenty of signal downstairs in the lounge and restaurant areas.
The surrounding area has plenty of eateries and pubs and a laundry.
If we return to London again this is where we would stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon F

Reviewed 8 June 2014

On the whole I can't really moan and for what I paid I can't moan.

But the good bits of my stay were:
Extremely secure free car parking - probably the most secure parking in any North London hotel
Nicely decorated
Rooms are very modern
Reasonable selection if shops and takeaways walking distance away

The bad parts:
Very noisy traffic as it is on a main road
Very noisy guests during my stay
On booking I called the hotel and asked if a double room was available and was told there was but it was an extra £120, so took the twin room which was the only one available online for a cheap price and on arrival asked again and this time was told it would be £200 extra! This was only 30 mins later!
The lift is very small, it's probably 1mx1m (3ftx3ft) and is also a very weird lift.
The bathrooms aren't much bigger, no room to move in the shower, couldn't wash my hair without my elbows banging on the walls.

I would stay here again if I had to, but I would also see what else was available. On the whole £50per night is about a reasonable price for this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rowly999
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Business stay for one night. Facade ok and bar area and reception looked ok. Twin room clean and appeared reasonably new.
However … ensuite absolutely ridiculous, literally no room to move, mini sink positioned under a shelf unit making it almost unusable. Shower poor pressure and took 5 minutes to warm up.
Unable to comment on the breakfast which to me was a huge negative as only started serving at 8.30 which means for the business traveller especially you are doomed to start your London day in the rush hour. Reception offered no flexibility in trying to offer a slightly earlier continental option and did not reduce the cost for room only. I found the abrupt and inflexible nature a disappointment. Overall met our very basic requirements but have stayed in much better and for less. Would not stay again :-(

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DaveyGriff
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights, clean and tidy room,It did the job.Untill returning to hotel one evening there was a lot of shouting and swearing coming from behind reception. I pointed out to the person doing this my son (7) was with me.He said sorry,then carried on, upsetting my son with his loud and abusive language. I told him it was not acceptable, in return he said I could leave and not use hotel again using foul language. Instead of waiting for the lift we used the stairs. Rest of staff good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for a night in December in between digs. It was pretty cheap - less than £40 - and overall a good deal, booked through Expedia.

It was clean and in a good location for transport and local eateries but noise is a big issue here, because of the wooden flooring that many reviewers have mentioned. I'm grateful, however, that my room wasn't facing the Seven Sisters Road, one of the busiest roads in the city. Customer service was good on checking in and out and I have to say terrific when I had a complaint about two selfish prats on my floor who were watching TV at night in their room with their door open (!). Went down to reception to complain, was back in my room a minute later and just as I sat down on my bed I heard the security guy telling these people to be quiet - that shut them up for the night. I was impressed.

I'm stunned people have paid over £100 to stay here - why would you?!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank globalcitizen_1985
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location of this hotel is undeniably good - just a short walk from the Finsbury Park tube station. Secure parking at the rear was a bonus but the actual parking area was very tight and I did have concerns about accidental damage to the car.

The room, booked for myself and two teenagers, was small - just about containing a double bed, bunk beds, wardrobe and dressing table. However the bathroom really took the biscuit - it was minuscule. The power shower which was great with a good water pressure, ended up soaking the floor as the drainage couldn't keep up with the amount of water. A tiny sink made a simple face wash an uncomfortable experience and brushing your teeth involved awkward shapes!

Breakfast was continental and quite limited, though adequate.

In all, an average stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was a great disappointment. For the £230.00 I paid, the room was not just minimalist but sparce in a prison cell sort of way with little facilities and not particularly comfortable...had the bare minimum....Although the booking included breakfast I would have rather gone to Mcdonalds...nothing cooked here, breakfast consisted of bread, jam some musili or cornflakes...on this occasion the bread was mouldy and when staff were notified they merely removed the specific bread from the basket rather than replacing the whole basket...really gross.

Perfect location if your just looking to crash for a Finsbury concert but not worth half what I paid, £60.00 would have been more fitting....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family