Belgrove Hotel
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The hotel was clean but thats all it was, we believed that we had en suite but upon arrival found it was a shared bathroom. After paying £10 to upgrade to 'en suite' we found the shower was in a cupboard and the toilet in another cupboard which you couldn't sit on without your knees pressing against the wall, the plug sockets were dangerous and we didn't bother to stay for the breakfast we had paid for. Places such as these should not be allowed to advertise as hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank slc8
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Belgrove Hotel was a easy place to find being close to kings cross.
The place was run down and is in need of a overhaul.
We booked two rooms, both being en-suit, number 43,44 which was up two flights of stairs.
Not very good for my mum, as the carpets were worn and the banisters were loose in places.
We arrived at the rooms worn out from the climb, and saw holes in the outer external wall where the door handles and hinges had hit.
The room was small, but at least the linen and towels were clean.
The en-suit was very small and looked like it had been put together quickly, due to the toilet not being fastened to the floor.
Having been in London and had good weather, we returned back to the Belgrove and went to bed leaving the windows open for the draft.
This was a mistake as the main road was noisy , and there was a working area across the road working into the early hours.
The breakfast was ok but nothing special. Most of it was over cooked.
Would we stop again ?
Only if all the other B&B's in the area were full.
This could be a little gem, if only some money was spent on it

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just returned from 2 nights in the Belgrove hotel, Yes its old and tired and shabby in places but for £35 a night in central London (literally across the road from Kings cross station) what would you expect, Our room was clean and the beds reasonably comfortable, The only complaint I would have is the toilet cublcle is SO small, I am only 5ft 3" and a size 10 but my knees touched the door as I sat down, The breakfast was pretty good (except the beans were cold both mornings) and the staff polite, All in all its not a bad hotel for the price but if you want luxury in central London then expect to pay luxury prices

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed three nights this week travelling from Cornwall. I'm going to be to the point here..... It was a grotty dump, tiny room smashed chest of draws with no handles small tv..overloaded plug sockets and a floor which was at an angle so when i slept blood. Rushed to my head..shared shower which the thermostat had broken so it was either freezing or too hot and would burn you staff were ok not a lot of interaction there... Boiling room at nightime a for breakfast I thought I would pass as looking at the state of the hotel in general I thought the kitchen couldn't be much better overall crap,horrid and I old never ever stay again ...nasty indeed!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and i booked this little place as somewhere to put our heads down during a week of shopping and sight-seeing in London. Because of the price, we were obviously not expecting miracles but the pics looked nice enough and so we were happy.

Upon arrival, we were checked in with no problem by a nice friendly lady, and then after being warned not to leave anything of value in our room whilst we were out (...?...!) we were given a key on the 3rd floor. There was no elevator, and no porters, so we had to lug our bags up several flights of tiny narrow stairs by ourselves but still - i thought, "it's ok, it's a cheap hotel! This is to be expected!"
Then I opened the door to our bedroom.

At first, i thought it was just old and tired, but the more i looked, the more i saw.
The window was broken and wouldn't close. Not only that, but it kept banging.
The room was TINY, just big enough for the bed and nothing else - desk/dresser at the end but could not pull the chair out due to bed taking up all the space.
Room had obviously been cleaned, but not well. sheets were clean and fresh, but what little carpet we could see in the tiny room was unhoovered and there was dust and even a cobweb in the corner.
The bathroom was laughable, it looked like a converted cupboard, I, not a slim woman but certainly not above average, had to suck my stomach in to get around the sink to the shower!! The sink had no plug fitting in it, just a hole.
Again though, to pick on the positives i can find, the bathroom was clean and the towel we were left was fresh.

Already uncomfortable, but not being on a large budget, my husband and i decided to give it a night before we said anything, so i tried to take a shower... tried... no hot water, and then boiling hot water, and then no water at all... I gave up.

We spent the night sleepless - kept awake by the noise from both inside the hotel and from outside our broken window. We were right by the stairs and the walls were paper thin, meaning we could hear EVERYTHING going on without.

The following morning, tired and grouchy, we went down to breakfast, a horrible canteen-like room right in the basement, where we were met with "basics" cornflakes or a hot buffet of overdone bacon, tinned tomatoes and scrambled egg (which was surprisingly nice actually). here, my husband was snapped at by a member of staff for asking for milk for the cup of instant coffee he was handed. At this point, we cut our losses and went back upstairs for our bags. Upon speaking to the woman at reception on our way across to the premmie over the road, we were told apologetically "no refunds" by the same nice lady who'd checked us in.

Worst waste of money I've ever encountered.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple