“Awful”
Review of Belgrove Hotel

Belgrove Hotel
Ranked #930 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have stayed in budget hotels before in London and my expectations of this one was not high so did not expect too much. I was on a budget trip and location was key, granted location is very good as right opposite Kings Cross station. I was in room downstairs and could hear other guests walking above me, so very thin walls, room itself was very basic and cleanliness left a lot to be desired. I am always happy with budget accomodation but there is no excuse for lack of cleanliness, there was a hole in the bedspread and carpet was filthy. Breakfast was very basic in a dingy small room were you could hear everyones conversation. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for and I guess by London standards you dont get much for £60 per night, thank god it was just one night as I'm afraid I would have checked out early should I have booked for longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 November 2013

At first I thought this hotel was basic but clean but after the creepy receptionist kept trying to get me to have a drink with him and following me to my room I would never go near this hotel again. As a woman staying on my own I felt very vulnerable and hardly slept worried what he might do.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nat950
Reviewed 6 November 2013

worst hotel ive ever stayed in . I left a day early , I was put in the lower floor which had the smell of sewers ,the tv picture didn't work ,I could hear trains rumbling under me till midnight . the bed was clean and the breakfast ok . I found the staff unfriendly . I have stayed in other places on this street and have been great . very dingy scruffy place

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This small family hotel is literally a stone's throw from King's Cross and St Pancras International Railway stations. It's therefore ideally placed for attracting the weary traveller. But it could do with getting it's act together.
I spent two nights in a single room: the bed was fine although I had to ask for the feather pillow to be exchanged for a foam one as requested at the time of booking. The room was small and the bathroom even smaller, so much so that I couldn't turn round in the shower. The toilet bowl also contained lots of limescale indicating that it hadn't been cleaned properly for a long time. Otherwise the room was very clean.
The furniture was ok although one of the cabinet drawers threatened to come apart.
The staff were all very pleasant and professional, responding promptly to any requests I made.
The basement breakfast room was pleasant and the main 'English' breakfast on offer was okay, if not spectacular. There wasn't much choice otherwise: white toast, cheap cornflakes, watered down orange juice. But the coffee was great.
I suppose you 'get what you pay for' and £120 for 2 nights can probably be classed as cheap in comparison with other London hotels. But I think all hotels are being greedy and charging far too much because they get away with it ( a case of take it or leave it) and this makes it easier for this hotel to charge so much for such comparatively poor facilities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank calc10
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The worst hotel was pre TA days so is spared a review, but the memory still lingers on as will this one.
The outside of this hotel is brightly painted and looks inviting, but as the saying goes you can't polish some unpleasant things. Inside the corridors ar dingy almost grubby looking. The receptionist was friendly, but the night porter disdainful every time he had to disturb himself to let you in - that's what you're paid for!!!
The room was awful. I am a reasonble person I don't expect 5* service when you only pay a 1* rate, but this reached a new low. I even bothered to attach photos I was that incensed about how appalling this place is.
Above a tube line as well so there was rumbling every few minutes until well gone midnight.
It's cheap and close to St Pancras. Spend an extra £25 and you might find somewhere much better than this.
AVOID IT!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank neomanSalisbury
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

The bedrooms are horrible. Instead of plugs there is extension leads full of paint. Bathrooms are shared and dirty, burst pipes in the bathrooms. Bedroom window don't shut so it's left wide open. Bedroom has damp and holes in the wall. Carpets are filthy, the reception staff are rude and give you false information. The tv in the room is tiny, doesn't work, no remotes, and the rooms smell like sewers. Isn't worth the money at all, it's a third world, not even a basic room. Absolutely disgusting! Wouldn't ever stay here again!
Breakfasts in the morning was freezing, not suitable for rats never mind humans! No lift, we stayed on the third floor so we had to carry a heavy case up 3 flights of stairs, with no help!! We are all women aswell! To use the showers you had to go out your room in a towel and 9/10 times other people in the hotel would see you. We had a faulty plug as we asked 3 times for it to be fixed..finally when it got fixed, the electrician was really dodgy didn't look qualified at all! The staff are rude and I would never ever return to this disgusting hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2013