“Roof over your head”
Review of Belgrove Hotel

Belgrove Hotel
Ranked #924 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Yes, this isn't the greatest hotel in the world but it served its purpose perfectly. Budget accommodation just across the road from Kings Cross station. I literally just used my room to sleep in and wasn't bothered about anything else. So not a fabulous hotel but all things considered I didnt mind.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank horsforthhe

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this due to its location as we had an early departure the next morning from St Pancras. Sure, we had a small room and the furniture moved if you touched it, but the room was quieter than I expected and the security was excellent. Actually, not as seedy as I'd feared and the location could not have been better. Cannot comment on breakfast as we had to leave before it was served.

2  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Me and my two friends stayed in this hotel one night before holidaying in Disneyland, Paris the next day. We chose this hotel as it is a stone's throw away from St Pancras International and Kings Cross.

It's certainly ideal for a stopping off point for one night, so I recommend it if this is all you need, especially if you're travelling via Eurostar the next day. You might need to reconsider though if you plan to have a longer break as it's a bit run-down and very, very basic.

Good points: The beds were reasonably comfortable, we had everything we needed (shower, toilet, a sink and a wardrobe and kettle) and there was a television in the room with a surprisingly ample selection of channels. The best part about the stay was the breakfast. You sit in a cafe-like room with tables and chairs and help yourself to sausages, eggs, bacon, toast, tea, coffee, etc. The food was very nice. The staff were also friendly and the woman at check-in when we arrived and departed was very pleasant.

Bad points: It has a slightly grubby feel to it. Our toilet was tiny and cramped and I dont think the lock worked on it either. Towels were provided with soap for each person but sadly they had stains on them. Tea and coffee was provided in sachets but we discovered the milk (which was powdered in sachets) had congealed so we had to pop to a newsagents to get our own milk.

We had a decent stay overall and enjoyed ourselves, as it prepared us for our big holiday the next day. This hotel is ideal for one night's stay and if you're not too fussed about where you're staying. If you want somewhere more upmarket however, definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked the hotel, then read the reviews! Was expecting what everyone here wrote. We were pleasantly surprised at our room. It was clean, there were no stains, and was perfect for what we were looking for and good value for what we paid. We had a train to catch to Paris at 8 am and this hotel was in the perfect location. Was just down the street from Saint Pancras train station and we were there in less than 10 minutes!

1  Thank LeslieN49
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Small rooms, tea stained walls, no light shades so bare bulb hanging from ceiling. Wallpaper hanging off walls in what's meant to be ensuite bathroom, which has old fashioned outside toilet which sounds awful when flushed and not clean in the bottom. Wardrobe sways when opened and dressing table rocks as it doesn't touch the floor on one side. Bed soft but ok it's clean, not enough pillows though. I guess what can you ask for it's cheap for location, ok for a couple of nights but no more than that. Access to upper floors via stairs, no lift so doesn't cater for anyone using a wheelchair or pushchair. Lots of noise from the streets at night time making it impossible to sleep. Staff very helpful and friendly, Buffett full English breakfast not too bad.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marilyn H
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel is very basic, and both room and bathroom are very small, but decent. This wouldn't be a problem if the place weren't so noisy. No double gazing so noise from the street, from all the rooms surrounding ours, noise from inconsiderate guests and noise from slamming doors all the time. Once said that, location is great, a few steps from St Pancras and King's Cross, so very convenient for Eurostar.

Room Tip: Not facing the main street, if possible. Too noisy.
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a stopover before travelling on the eurostar the next day, it's okay as a place to rest your head for a night, but I wouldn't recommend staying here for much more than that!

Check in was nice and easy, the staff are very friendly, I never came across one person that was rude. Check in and breakfast staff were very nice!

The place does have a bit of a dingy feel to it. I think it's the decoration in the hallways. As well as this, the room was very basic. With simple decoration, a small television and beds. We did have all the facilities of a bathroom (a sink in the room, basic shower ( which was actually quite nice) and a toilet. The beds were very comfortable, and it was reasonably clean, the towels had some stains on, but we didn't use those! My biggest gripe with the room was the toilet. The room it was in was far too small, with my knees literally touching the door when I sat on it. That wasn't great but it was manageable!

The best thing was the breakfast, I was shocked at the room it was in! As it's downstairs and looks like you're heading into a darkened cellar, but give it a chance! There's toast and a hot English breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages etc. Very nice and the room is actually quite pleasant when the sun is shining in!

Overall I would say it is slightly under average. I would stay again If it was cheaper, but do think they overcharge for what you get as it's quite run down, but manageable if you're just there for the night!

Stayed: June 2014