“Huge tasty portions”

Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Botellon Tapas Restaurant and Cuban Cocktail Bar opened in 2013 on High Road Seven Sisters, opposite the Bernie Grant Arts Centre. We serve chef specials every day and cater for vegetarians and meat eaters alike! We have an intimate bar area and can cater for up to 70 people, so large groups and families are very welcome. We have LIVE music on various nights of week - call for more details. Our venue is the perfect choice for any type of occasion, as we provide an authentic Spanish Tapas menu with great service and value for money.
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

El Botellon is one of those unassuming restaurants/cafes that you pass by thinking that it looks a bit too local to visit. If this is the case then I suggest you get over this thought and pay it a visit as you will be surprised by the wholesome Colombian food that is available. Looks can be very deceptive in this case.

On arrival we were greeted by a waiter who was very friendly and recommended some dishes. I would say that the menu is very meat and seafood heavy with little real choice for vegetarians or vegans if anything but I suspect that these traditions have not really taken off in Colombia. The restaurant is like a cafe with a dull paint and some amusing pictures. The television is on but no noise can be heard. The restaurant is clean and has a very local vibe with many South Americans visiting during the night. This obviously is a good sign for anyone who is interested in eating the real Colombian food.

We ordered two starters. Once was a king prawn in a garlic sauce. The prawns were large and the sauce was delicious. The next was also a prawn dish in a salsa sauce with some fried plantain. Both dishes came with South American crackers which were nice but bread would have been preferable to dip the sauce. Unfortunately they had had a busy day and were all out of bread.

The mains were all huge and I wished that I had not eaten lunch at this point. The chicken escalope came with a basic salad of lettuce and tomato lightly covered in a salad sauce, rice to which I added the leftover garlic sauce from the starter, a fried sweet plantain and chips. The breaded escalope was tender inside and was huge. It was a shock to see how big it and the dish itself was. All the dishes we ordered were likewise big and when they gave meat it was a considerable portion. We were stuffed by the end of the meal.

We ended the meal with some Colombian coffee and paid a very good price between the four of us. Unfortunately they were out of rice pudding which is supposed to be good. I will definitely be visiting again but next time having no lunch. We left after the owner shared a shot of Colombian spirit. A great ending.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

What amazing value for such great food. Highly recommended if you're in the area. Great service aswell.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I love this restaurant so much I am writing this review before even finishing our visit.

Great columbian casual vibe, friendly service, delicious food (with HUGE portion sizes), Spanish music, fun art and most importantly a genuine authentic experience.

But this isn't meant to be an "experience" for non Colombians, it just happens to be a restaurant within the Colombian community which I accidentally stumbled upon and was made to feel welcome in!

I would recommend to anyone and will be back! 5*!

Reviewed 18 August 2016

Title pretty well sums it up. Pretty darn sure this is now a Colombian restaurant, although the website still says Spanish. The menu has changed since we went a year or two ago.

One of those 'ethnicky' places that hasn't been 'discovered' and all the better for it.

The tapas is pretty well all the things you'd get on a big Colombian breakfast plate. Fantastic belly pork and chorizo (very different from the Spanish version.) Two different types of plantain. Very tasty, tender squid.

A meal for two with a beer won't set you back much more than £30.

We had to doggy-bag the chicken salad as we just had no more room left.

Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

A quiet and nice Spanish restaurant in North London. I guess the best in the area. Also good for birthday parties. The food is very tasty especially the grilled one.