“Delicious food, friendly staff”
Review of El Botellon

El Botellon
Ranked #10,366 of 25,272 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Botellon Tapas Restaurant and Cuban Cocktail Bar opened in 2013 on High Road Seven Sisters, opposite the Bernie Grant Arts Centre. We serve chef specials every day and cater for vegetarians and meat eaters alike! We have an intimate bar area and can cater for up to 70 people, so large groups and families are very welcome. We have LIVE music on various nights of week - call for more details. Our venue is the perfect choice for any type of occasion, as we provide an authentic Spanish Tapas menu with great service and value for money.
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Popped in with a friend on a Saturday night and instantly fell in love with the place. The atmosphere made me feel like we were on holiday in Colmbia!

We had some squid to start, which was fresh with a lovely light batter and then we shared the most delicious seafood paella. All of this was washed won with two beers and two glasses of red and came to under £50.

The service was friendly and the vibe was unfunny with lots of what looked like regulars greeting each other and a genuinely 'local' feel to the place. It's nothing fancy, but it's perfect for well prepared food at reasonable prices. I loved it.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

I have been trying to get a table on a Sunday afternoon around 5 pm and after waiting for more than 30 minutes ( by the way , the waitress allowed a couple of guys to seat on the tables before us even if they were behind us on the queue!!very unprofessional!).
After a while we were taken to the next available table but before seating on the chairs ,the waitress told us that we were going to wait for another 40 minutes for the food to be served and there was not even a chance to eat a starter!!
Then we decided to go home instead of eating in this place!
I have been visiting lots of Latin American restaurants in London but this one so far is the worst!

El_Botellon, Manager at El Botellon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

Really this is very unusual . Possibly the restaurant was short staffed in the kitchen. Apologies

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

El Botellon is one of those unassuming restaurants/cafes that you pass by thinking that it looks a bit too local to visit. If this is the case then I suggest you get over this thought and pay it a visit as you will be surprised by the wholesome Colombian food that is available. Looks can be very deceptive in this case.

On arrival we were greeted by a waiter who was very friendly and recommended some dishes. I would say that the menu is very meat and seafood heavy with little real choice for vegetarians or vegans if anything but I suspect that these traditions have not really taken off in Colombia. The restaurant is like a cafe with a dull paint and some amusing pictures. The television is on but no noise can be heard. The restaurant is clean and has a very local vibe with many South Americans visiting during the night. This obviously is a good sign for anyone who is interested in eating the real Colombian food.

We ordered two starters. Once was a king prawn in a garlic sauce. The prawns were large and the sauce was delicious. The next was also a prawn dish in a salsa sauce with some fried plantain. Both dishes came with South American crackers which were nice but bread would have been preferable to dip the sauce. Unfortunately they had had a busy day and were all out of bread.

The mains were all huge and I wished that I had not eaten lunch at this point. The chicken escalope came with a basic salad of lettuce and tomato lightly covered in a salad sauce, rice to which I added the leftover garlic sauce from the starter, a fried sweet plantain and chips. The breaded escalope was tender inside and was huge. It was a shock to see how big it and the dish itself was. All the dishes we ordered were likewise big and when they gave meat it was a considerable portion. We were stuffed by the end of the meal.

We ended the meal with some Colombian coffee and paid a very good price between the four of us. Unfortunately they were out of rice pudding which is supposed to be good. I will definitely be visiting again but next time having no lunch. We left after the owner shared a shot of Colombian spirit. A great ending.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

What amazing value for such great food. Highly recommended if you're in the area. Great service aswell.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I love this restaurant so much I am writing this review before even finishing our visit.

Great columbian casual vibe, friendly service, delicious food (with HUGE portion sizes), Spanish music, fun art and most importantly a genuine authentic experience.

But this isn't meant to be an "experience" for non Colombians, it just happens to be a restaurant within the Colombian community which I accidentally stumbled upon and was made to feel welcome in!

I would recommend to anyone and will be back! 5*!