“I would NOT stay here again!”
Review of Hotel Orlando

and 1 more site!
Hotel Orlando
Ranked #87 of 554 London B&B and Inns
los angeles
“I would NOT stay here again!”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I booked this single room a few months in advance. I sent no less then 4 emails asking to have a room at the back to avoid street noise. When I arrived the owner, Mr Orlando, claimed he never would have promised me a room in the back and it was his cousin who was answering his emails for awhile. Huh? I sent 2 more days before confirming my arrival-attached were all the original correspondences. When Mr. Orlando told me he did not have the room I had requested he offered to call and find me another room. I feel he knew full well most people don't want to go thru that hassle after an 11 hour flight. So, I asked for a discount. He offered a 5. pound discount per night which I thought was fair-at the time!! The room was on the third floor and no offer was made to help me up the tight winding stairs with my suitcase. I had to make 2 trips to get everything up. All the while there was an Italian man screaming on his phone in the tiny lobby while his wife smoked in the hotel entrance. They barely moved to let me thru. The room was small, basically clean but could used a really good clean like in the corners with the hoover/vacuum et. That being said the nastiest thing thru out the place was the carpeting. As you climb the stairs higher it becomes more and more old and threadbare. I think it is kept nice for the part you see when you come in but is due for a change throughout the hotel. I would not walk on it without socks. I am only 5'7 but the single bed was short for me and very soft. The hotel was very loud and noisy. People constantly let all the doors slam-front, fire and room-they stomp up and down the stairs and talk in very loud voices. There were also people smoking out by the front steps at times. Since I did not get the room in the back, which I had booked, I was also subjected to the smell of cigarette smoke wafting up towards my window which was above the front door. There was no washcloth/flannel in the room. I asked for one which they then took away the next day and forgot to replace. The breakfast was fine but no vegetarian options on the meat-most places at least offer a veggie sausage or some mushrooms in place et. The breakfast room was full 2 or the 3 mornings I stayed when I came down, so I had to go back up to my third floor room and wait for a phone call telling me a table was free. Finally when I went to check out I planned to pay with cash to get the 5% discount noted on the website. When I went to pay Mr. Orlando told me he could not give it to me due to the 5. pound discount I was already getting. Ok, that makes no sense at all. I imagined the 5% discount was to save him the credit card fees. It seems smart business to offer it. When I tried to have a reasonable discussion to that effect, Mr Orlando insinuated I was ripping him off and he was going to take a loss. He seemed to play the long suffering innkeeper. It was very uncomfortable. I then asked him if he would prefer I pay with my card then as I can keep and use the cash. We finally settled on a sum. It was more then I was supposed to pay if I had gotten the discounts I was promised combined with the cash discount but I just wanted to leave. Honestly, my experience of everyone that worked there seemed like they were unhappy. I barely saw a smile cross anyones face in the employ of that hotel-from the owners to the small staff. I cancelled the one day I was supposed to stay there again on my way out of London. I sent an email 2 days in advance telling them I would not be coming. I received no reply or confirmation. I only hope they don't try and charge my credit card on file and claim I never cancelled. Considering Mr Orlando does not seem to check his email it would not surprise me. As well as they charge you one pound to "verify" your card when you make the booking but make no offer to apply it to your bill when you leave. I did not feel comfortable, welcomed or appreciated as someone paying money to stay here. If you are a single American woman I would avoid Hotel Orlando!!!!

Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank AveburyL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 16 October 2011

If you'd like to stay in London and don't plan to waste your time sittin' in your hotel room - it's the best place to stay. Not a big rooms, but very comfy. Incredible breakfasts and awesome "hotel crew".

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank SunSunych
Austin, TX
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The owner, Mr Orlando is a really nice, accomodating and friendly guy. Full-English breakfast was amazing. We stayed in a double-bed room. It was quite small, but I guess that's the norm in London. Our room wasn't facing the main street, so we never had any problems with noise.
The hotel is around 10-15 minutes from Hammersmith Tube station. It takes another 20-40 minutes to reach attractions in Central London, depending where you are going. It was a chore to walk the distance back from the tube station, especially after a hectic sightseeing day. But it's a very safe neighbourhood, so very never felt insecure or anything.

Overall, we found the value of this place to be excellent value in otherwise expensive London.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room, away from the main street
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank KosTravelisLife
Cairns, Qld
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed in a family room with very comfy beds although the washroom was very, very small. The carpet may be tired and the decor outdated but this b&b is conveniently located between Hammersmith station and Westfield London (both walking distance from hotel).

Our hosts providing everything we asked for: hairdryer, scale to weigh our bags, extra room key, extra pillows, early breakfast and free wifi passcode.
Overall very good value.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank MissMapleLeaf
Temecula, California
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I spent three nights here in early June. We were in room 1 directly in front of the hotel on the street. The windows are dual pane and shut out the street noise very effectively. No problem sleeping at all. I'm sure the back rooms are even quieter.

The rooms are typically European (small) but very clean as is the bathroom. Fresh linens and bedding every day and coffee and tea in the room. The location is ideal. Only a ten minute walk to the Hammersmith metro station (Piccadilly Line) which takes you directly to the heart of London. It's only about a 10 minute ride. Bus stops are just steps from the hotel.

Breakfast each day featured eggs, bacon, beans, toast and jam along with juice and coffee. A great start to any day.

Here's the best part. Isabella. She couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. One morning she asked if we knew how to make pancakes because there was a young American boy staying there and he wanted pancakes (what are the chances?) and she had never made them. The next morning she was in the kitchen toying with a receipt she had found on line. She actually went shopping the night before to buy the ingredients for the pancakes. She said she didn't want to disappoint that little boy so he got pancakes and maple syrup the remainder of his stay. What a sweatheart.

As I was leaving I went to the kitchen (downstairs) where she was preparing breakfast for others just to say goodbye and she insisted she come upstairs to say goodbye personally to my wife.

The location, price, and especially Isabella make this the perfect spot for your stay in London.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pat.kight
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Staying on my own for two weeks before my husband joined me I felt very safe and welcome at this B&B.My room was serviced every day with clean towels provided.Breakfast was just right for me.Not only are the tube stations close by but there is also an excellent bus service from Hammersmith Broadway.WESTFIELD shopping centre is just up the road.I was very happy to stay at 'Hotel Orlando' and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as it is quieter.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bigred88
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Several Highlights: short walk to Hammersmith and Shepherd's Bush stations, which gives you direct access to about 5 tube lines. Post office and several laundrettes right across the street. Several restaurants and shops along the road, close to giant mall and movie theaters, Shephard's Bush is 2 stops from Notting Hill. Breakfast was great (for me: hot chocolate, cereal, toast, croissants, and many many "biscuits"--aka cookies!!!). They also graciously accommodated my advanced requests for an off-street room and early check-in, and even let me have a package sent there. They held my luggage after I checked out and gave daily bed and linen service. I stayed for a week after a 3 week business trip so things like laundry, location, markets, and post office were very important to me. The rooms are basic but comfortable. Bedding could probably stand to be updated, but the free internet, in-room bathroom and refrigerator were convenient. Would definitely stay there again and will enthusiastically recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family