“It was meant to be a quiet Monday”
Review of Bangalore - CLOSED

Bangalore
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Very impressed, great food - but couldn't quite come to terms with the butter chicken lasagne ;)

Great speedy service, friendly staff and an adventurous menu. Busy for a Monday which turned out to be a good sign.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I've been to the restaurant couple of times - both dine-in option and take away

The food is fresh and good. close to authentic Indian taste. High Recommendation

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have eaten here several times - partly because it is close to the South Bank and Old Vic and largely because we like the food - especially dosas.

We recently went for an early supper (with tight deadlines) and were very disappointed by the haphazard service. Our drinks did not arrive: our meals were quite slow in appearing and the overall impression was of new waiting staff who had not been trained.

Once they are up to speed this will be a superb restaurant - tasty dishes, Kingfisher and Cobra on draught. The "mix and match" curry dishes are to be recommended (and are generally fairly hot). I too have issues with the automatic 12.5% service charge (certainly not justified on our most recent visit).

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Bangalore is situated just across the road from the escalator entrance to Waterloo railway station on Waterloo Road. The restaurant was very busy with early evening diners, most of who seemed to have come straight from work, which seemed promising to me. Most of them we young urbanites between 25 and 35 but certainly not the braying and annoying city types.

The menu is certainly very different from your standard British Indian restaurant and features real Indian food such as massala dosa; a rarity in England. the menu also features some fusion dishes offering and interesting Indian slant on pizzas.

I decided to opt for a common or garden dish so that I could compare it with normal restaurant's offerings and I was not disappointed. My chicken Madras had a light colours thinner curry sauce than normal in the UK and was more like dishes served in the city of Bangalore. The pilau rice was worthy of being listed as a dish on its own as it had no added food colouring but had been cooked with stock and spices to provide a light but tasty rice with slightly nutty overtones. The Bombay potatoes were a small side offering, not much bigger than a good egg cup but rich and worthwhile. This was all selected from their flow chart menu. Bombay potato was also offered as a full size side dish.

I really could not fault the food or service in Bangalore and, as one would expect, the beer was nice and cold.

Another thing of note is the seating. The restaurant has some bench type seating where people mix in together, there are also some normal tables and some two decker alcoves. Access to the upper deck alcoves is via a bunk bed type ladder and adds a amusing twist to the night.

The two of us went for it and did not go short of food. I had a starter (chilli chicken which was excellent) as well as a main course with small side dish whilst my partner in crime had a starter, a duck dosa as main course and a sundae as desert which he was best pleased with. We each also had 3 pints of Indian lager for a total of £77. You really can't argue with that in the middle of London.

In summary the food is excellent modern fusion Indian and modern real Indian, the service was pretty slick and professional, the prices are good and the interior design adds to the fun of the evening. It's my new favourite in London.

1  Thank Paul W