“Workable room, skimpy breakfast, unusable wifi”
Review of Blue Bells Hotel

Blue Bells Hotel
Ranked #878 of 1,069 Hotels in London
United States
“Workable room, skimpy breakfast, unusable wifi”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Room size (with 2 twin beds) was ok, L-shaped. Not large but ok. Not sure about their rooms with 1 bed, they may be very small. As it was a middle room the view was to a brick wall but the window at least opened to the outside. The furniture is out of shape and mismatched - a missing drawer on a stand, a propped up closet. Bed was ok. Bathroom with tub was good.

Flat-screen TV works well but locked down by the hotel so you can't use your own computer with HDMI cable to watch your own movies - you can however copy a movie to a USB keychain and plug it into the TV to play it.

The breakfast was just cereal/milk and coffee, one of the weakest breakfasts I've seen in Europe so far.

I was able to connect to their wifi but could not actually use the internet. It was either very slow or very overused and so I had to instead pay $7/day for the BT Wifi service available in the area which worked ok but got a bit slow at night.

The location is pretty good, about a 5-10 minute walk to the Notting Hill Gate underground.

Room Tip: Avoid middle rooms if you want a view, otherwise you'll be looking at a brick wall.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Luckily, we only stayed here for one night, but I'll nevertheless remember this hotel for a long time to come - for all the wrong reasons. At first, we were put in a room which reeked of paint, with a window which could not be opened, with only one lamp which did not work, a curtain that was half torn down and a bathroom which was really dirty. We complained and got a new room, and although this room was somewhat better, the room was very dirty and there were bugs everywhere. We didn't even dare to eat breakfast there the next morning, although we'd paid for it. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank bridgevalley

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My first night at Blue Bells Hotel in the Nottinghill neighborhood of London was a disappointment. The room was very small, I found one tiny small live bug, and one tiny dead one on the coverlet. There was no desk, and my view was a brick wall. I felt a bit taken. That said, I did stay. The neighborhood is lovely, and feels safe. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk to Nottinghill Gate Tube Station, and from there you can quickly reach anything. The managers were friendly enough, but not warm and welcoming. I was staying alone, traveling overseas for the first time, and finding other accomodations was too overwhelming. The water was hot, the shower had good pressure, and the toilet flushed very well. Breakfast was bland, just cereal, canned looking pineapple slices, orange juice, toast and coffee or tea. Nothing special. It is a good value, for a very basic room, but no frills or little extra touches are included. Not even art on the bedroom walls.

Room Tip: On my last night I was moved to a family room that had one queen bed and three twins. It was a much...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tricia E
Malta, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed at Bluebells for 4 nights. The hotel is clean and the staff pleasant as well as helpful. The location is excellent. I was there with my family and we shared a room. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was quite spacious.
The only negative points I would like to mention are :
No mirror in room except for a small one on top of the bathroom sink and only one small soap to share between 4 people
Having some cold cuts for breakfast would make a huge difference as only 3 types of cereal as well as toast with butter and jam/marmalade were offered

Room Tip: The rooms on the high floor ie starting from the first floor, the ones below street level claustroph...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucienne B
Swindon
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed at the Blue Bells for 2 nights with my Mum as we were going to see Kings of Leon and this was within our price range. Although the reviews were quite negative I was very impressed. The staff were very friendly and due to a mix up on our part offered us a very generous deal on changing our room arrangements at the last minute.

The location is good, the rooms we were in were in the basement and very spacious and reasonably clean.

I was only offered toast for breakfast but there was cereal.

Only issue was being woken up by the rumble of train (or possibly the tube underneath) I couldn't work out which but in London this is to be expected.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mog_zSwindon
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed at Blue Bells in April but never got around to posting a review. Got a heads up from my sister that there was a fraudulent charge on her credit card & also a friend of ours that stayed here with us. I used my credit card on Booking.com to reserve the room, my sister used hers to pay and our friend of course used his to pay for his room. This was the only place all three of us used our credit cards during our London trip. The matter is now being investigated by all three of our banks. The fraudulent charge was under "Georgios Stravakas London" and my "bill" came to $654 Cdn. Our friends was $800 Cdn. RECOMMEND ANYONE THAT HAS STAYED HERE RECENTLY CHECK THEIR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Katima97
BHAVESH G, Manager at Blue Bells Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
We are sorry to hear about what happened to your Credit Card, but we receive every card details from the Booking Companies via fax which is the only way secure to send the card details to the hotels, there is no chance of any mistakes from our side , your card details is only used for your payments and then it is never used. We are definite about nothing has happened from our side please check your bank details to verify and track the fraudulent charge occurred on your card details. Please send us your reservation number if you want us the check the matter in detail.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Was a bit sceptical to book, but didnt have much choice as was at the last minute and a bargain on the face of it. Room was clean, but very small bathroom. Nice big chunky towels and room was a nice temperature. Easy five minute walk to Notting Hill tube station. Did nt have breakfast, but the breakfast room looked nice, and food i believe cooked freshly to order.

Room Tip: I still think i may have been lucky to get room 22, and will certainly return if the standard of all...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business