“Small, intimate yet unobtrusive ”

Marianne Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 25,017 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$85 - US$112
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

We went to Marianne for lunch and thought it extremely good. However I will start on the few negatives as I want to end on a high. We chose the lunch tasting menu which was good but we were surprised as I felt it was a little imbalanced as no meat course was offered. We were told we could change to something from the expensive deluxe menu and substituted the fish for the meat the Muntjac. However this carried a supplement of £15. That wasn’t the issue but the portion served was ridiculous for the money - I could only describe the portion as 4 shavings of deer, absolutely minute albeit delicious. The wines are also fairly expensive. However now onto the main review. The food served was delicious, the service especially by Barratt was amazing, attentive but unobtrusive. The restaurant is cute with 6 small tables and is lovely and intimate. The kitchen ( which we went into) was small with a fair few chefs but it was so clean and they worked meticulously. Marianne was not there. Everything served was tasty but the outstanding dish for me was the soufflé which was fantastic. I would definitely recommend a visit but please offer a better portion of meat.

1  Thank Ann L

Reviewed 21 November 2017

Having read good reviews on here and seen Marianne on TV we were so excited to book for our 'fine dining experience'. We booked the taster menu as this was our only option for the evening booking, at £95 per head. Having eaten tater menu's in many restaurants, all over the world, we were happy to be presented with an array of tasty interesting dishes.
Firstly let me say, it seems if you dare to have an opinion on food without some kind of recognised credentials then it can appear you just simply do not recognise 'good food' when you are presented with it. However i'm sorry, but this was all bland beyond belief. Shaved scallops to start were beautiful and delicate but lacked any real solid flavour, then the Fish main was totally unseasoned, with a 'parsley sauce' that one of our group described of tasting like Algae, and i'm afraid they were right! and the Amuse Bouche was just a cup of foam that tasted vaguely like Pizza. Portions were incredibly small, and whilst i'm happy with that when something is rich and oozing flavour, every course just left us more and more dissapointed. Of Course Marianne was not even there, instead there were a team of 4 in the tiny Kitchen and 2 waiters for the 14 seats. I suspect this is the reason the price is so astronomical, perhaps if staffing costs were not so high? Our bill was a whopping £773 for 4 by the time drinks were added! I do feel we would have had substantially better overall experience somewhere else for the same.................

4  Thank s0x99
Marianne L, Owner at Marianne Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Luckily it is not often that we receive such negative comments on trip advisor therefore I felt I should address the points raised by you.

As a small restaurant with only 14 seats, after researching and testing other menu options, it came to our attention that our customers opted for the tasting menu for dinner albeit may want a smaller menu for lunch which is why this was implemented. We vary the menu should any guest have any dietary requirements or are not keen on a particular dish.

I can only speak for myself and my staff but I can assure you that “everyone” is allowed an opinion and am aghast if that is your belief that me or my staff would just state “they don’t recognise good food”. When working with food and making it my life’s ambition to cook for others and finally to have my own restaurant, I welcome comments on any dish prepared whilst also keeping in mind that everyone’s palate does differ. Indeed, when creating new dishes, me along with my staff will spend hours in the kitchen trying different ingredients, tweaking the seasoning until we are all in agreement that it is perfect. Then, and only then, will it leave the kitchen to be served to customers.

I can only apologise that the menu served was a disappointment to you and your guests and to be honest, if this was the opinion of other customers, the menu will and would be changed. Like any business person, if what is produced is not selling, it would and will be adapted and changed.

The portion size is small due to the amount of dishes served. Our customers generally dine with us over a two to three hour period therefore with a six course menu, it is my wish that they also enjoy dessert.

Our pricing is noted on our website and is regularly updated as and when menus change.

I am sorry that I wasn’t there on the evening in question but as I am sure you will understand that as we are open six days per week, three days serving lunch and dinner, it is impossible for me to be in situ for every service coupled with meeting suppliers, taking orders and deliveries, dealing with customers and rotas with a staff of only seven; added to which the size of the current restaurant and kitchen, it would be impossible. I regularly work from another venue creating dishes, changing menus, preparing bespoke menus for our private hire evenings whilst also ensuring the financial side of the business is up to date.

In summary, I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience and wanted to comment to ensure that you are aware that your points have been acknowledged.

Regards,

Marianne Lumb

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Had a superb Sunday lunch, the menu has some great classic combinations, well executed. The restaurant is small and intimate, with excellent front of house service. Get there before the crowds.

1  Thank Yara A
Reviewed 18 November 2017

I was at the receiving end of hospitality at Marianne. A pretty reserved place with very sophisticated environment. Was here for a business lunch and was served with lobsters, probably a signature dish of here(most people were having it). Has just a dozen seats, so plan well in advance. prices are ridiculous, and maybe need some rework there. Expect a bill of upto 12000 INR per head for a lunch.

5  Thank HarshP481
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Marianne is really a nice, cosy small restaurant - only 14 seats.
Service is excellent and the pace of the various courses is perfect.
The food has highs and lows: most dishes were very good but we found our mains not adequate to the ambition of a restaurant that charges over 125£ a person. Especially the mullet, but also the lobster with white truffle - both left us underwhelmed.
Soufflé is really good.