“Huge improvement on the old Berners Hotel”
Review of The London EDITION

The London EDITION
Ranked #71 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“Huge improvement on the old Berners Hotel”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I loved walking in this hotel. If you are looking for a buzy hotel this it. Filled with beatiful and young people. Would not recommend for corporate traveller. The buzz is fantastic. The rooms are huge improvement from before .. All with wood panellings. Reminds you more of a chalet style. Not sure what it will look like in the summer. The top floor suites do have nice views. I would not want to stay at the back rooms near the to Royal mail depo. Berners Tavern look lovely as usual . Very inviting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel years ago when I believe it was called the Berner's Hotel which at the time was famed for its carvery and elegant high-ceiling lobby. When I entered the newly established London Edition I felt like I was walking down a red carpet greeting line for all the staff that graciously welcomed me to the hotel. Beautifully re-done lobby, trendy young and attractive staff replete with earpieces bustling about ensuring a smooth running hotel while always ready with a smile. The rooms are very nicely appointed in a ski chalet type of decor, bathrooms are pristine, wonderfully spacious shower, very thoughtfully laid out, great quality towels, very comfortable mattresses and sheets. The quality of the room service food was also very good and I like the complimentary wifi. Overall a very good experience and I will definitely be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
kent
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here in October 2013. All excellent from start to finish from the welcoming staff to the well equipped rooms (although a bit smaller than expected) through to the superb Berners Tavern and the late night Punch Room. Get to the bar early if you want to get a seat and if you want to go to the Punch Room later in the evening make sure you make a reservation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I read so much about this place when it opened, that I wanted to experience it for myself. I booked a two night B&B package for £300 a night.

Our arrival was greeting with huge smiles and doors held open. Check-in is 3pm. We arrived at noon. No problem. Our room was ready and waiting. This isn't the kind of hotel you book for a view. Our small window overlooked the main entrance on Berners Street, across the road from a WHSmith. But we weren't here for the view. The room was beautiful, and considering it was the smallest available, was much bigger than I had expected. More importantly, the bathrooms are really generous, with a massive shower that could easily accommodate 2, if not 3 people. The room, and the entire hotel, look exactly like the photos on the hotel website. They really do capture the quality and ambiance of the place.

Being a Londoner, and staying in a London hotel, means I don't intend to go out in order to go out. We planned to do all our going out in the hotel. The first drink we had was at the small lobby bar. The bartender needed to read instructions to mix our cocktails, which surprised me. We moved to the large bar in Berners Tavern. The bartender greeted us, but made no effort to chat or make us feel welcome. This wasn't a problem, but we could definitely have been schmoozed into a fourth or fifth round.

When I made the booking, I had made several attempts to reserve a place for two in the Punch Room. No one there seemed aware of the reservation procedure. My attempts to make a reservation via the dedicated email and phone number for the private bar were fruitless. I sent a plea for help to the concierge and was then contacted my the Director of Bars, who apologised for the lack of communication and kindly confirmed my reservation. However, when we arrived, no reservation was listed, and we were kept at the door, negotiating the matter, as staff and guests pushed past us. It wasn't the experience I had anticipated.

And then we flashed our room cards and headed past the bouncer to Basement. This is a club in the basement of the hotel, though it is operated by club promoters who technically have nothing to do with the hotel. I was hoping for a touch of Shoreditch. Alas, it was a nasty, Peckham vibe that greeted us. Check the club's website in advance if you plan on going. We turned on out heels and left. But I was really impressed, and grateful, with the hotel's sound-proofing.

There were several other issues with our stay. No newspapers delivered to the morning, even though the check-in staff made a point of asking us which paper we wanted. A turn-down service for just one of our two nights stay - and that was for one person (i.e. one bottle of water left on one side of the bed only). Missing items ordered at breakfast - no toast and no juice arrived. Breakfast charged at £56 even though it was included in our room rate.

I mentioned all this to a rather harsh woman on reception as we checked out. I told her there had been some discrepancies with our stay. She replied "And what do YOU consider these issues to be?" as if to suggest they were debatable and perhaps not issues at all. She then summed it up with "So, not as seamless as you had hoped". No apology and a suggestion that my expectations were too high to begin with.

I realise there will be teething problems with the opening of a new hotel. Guests expect (and hopefully appreciate) the smiles and door holding etc, but the real test is how graciously hotel staff deal with concerns and problems. The reservation procedure is currently awful and the reception staff can be curt and sloppy.

Overall, the place is beautiful - not just on the eye, but on the nose too. The rooms are lush and beyond comfortable. The shower was like an intense back massage. The staff are hit and miss - some nice, some standoffish. The Punch Room, if they let you in, is well worth a visit. We tried four different punches, and each flavour was unique. They clearly have recruited the best staff for this private bar. Breakfast was delicious, but the service on the Saturday was a complete shambles. We overheard several diners complaining. Sunday however, was like clockwork.

I'm glad I experienced the place, but I don't imagine I'll make a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank BrionUK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night - lovely hotel - the only thing that spoilt it was being told we had been 'upgraded' on arrival to find what they really mean is our room has disabled facility's (alarm cords by bed and in loo).

While this did mean our room was bigger the fact the reception wasn't up front about it left a bit if a sour taste.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank PaoloPanella
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed at the London Edition last weekend for 2 nights and it was a brilliant experience. The staff across the entire hotel are extremely frielndly and helpful and really make your stay that bit extra special. We had breakfast in Berners Tavern on the Sunday morning and it was very good and reasonably priced. The hotel is definitely an up and coming place to be seen with a fabulous chic atmosphere in the evenings/night time. The only downside was that our room, while beautiful was small and located to the rear of the hotel with no views views, however, very comfortable.
Will definitely be returning next year.
Well done to all staff, brilliant!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I just returned from London and spent just two nights there - including one glorious night at this sparkling brand-new London Edition Hotel (opened September of this year). Located just a stones-throw from one of London's best shopping areas - Oxford Street - and completely refurbished by the international creative team of well renowned Ian Schrager from a tired and old building, into a large yet intimate one. The former Berners Hotel, owned and developed by Marriott International.is a transformation beyond belief. Stunning interiors and decor and very, very informal and cosy.

What I loved was my very first impression - the buzz and electricity felt as I entered the spacious lobby. Ahead was a welcoming bar and lounge. To the right was the restaurant and straight ahead, the reception and concierge area. Just ask for Holly and Emma, they are two of the friendliest and most professional front-of-house staff you'll ever meet including the ever smiling, Ben, a transplanted Australian! Harry is on hand to help you with luggage and explain any questions you may have when entering your room. They even give you a complimentary newspaper delivered to your room on request and i found a complimentary bottle of water by my bed!

London certainly has history and this hotel is historic in every sense - named after a Mr. Berners, a land-owner in 1654, later becoming five conjoined houses and then converted into a fine hotel in 1909. Now the Edition has 173 rooms, a divine lobby-bar, dance club and penthouse!

My room was clean and spacious. Just lift the phone and you will see what I mean if you require anything, The voice on the line was charming and personable. Just what you'd expect. The bathroom amenities including a power-shower scores a ten out of ten as does the relaxing room decor and comfortable king size bed!

Needless to say, my one night was relaxing and enjoyable. I also stayed one night at the Nadler, Soho. Review to follow!

This time of the year has the upcoming Christmas spirit everywhere including the famous street lights on Oxford and Regent Streets, now on full view!

There is talk of an Edition opening on this side of the pond in New York City. Watch this space as they say. I hear the New York Edition will be in the vicinity of Madison Square Park near 23rd Street and Madison Avenue.

Can't wait!

Room Tip: All rooms have triple glazing. No sound at all! Views of adjacent buildings though!