“Fantastic service, excellent location, read on for highs and lows”
Review of The London EDITION

The London EDITION
Ranked #70 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Orange County, CA
“Fantastic service, excellent location, read on for highs and lows”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

There’s so much to like about The London EDITION. First, this is not your typical Marriott experience. In fact, the Marriott brand is nowhere to be found at The London EDITION. This is a new concept hotel that has gotten a lot of things right that Marriott hotels still haven’t learned. At the top of the list is service. Every member of The London EDITION staff I encountered was very well trained and committed to providing excellent service. Excellent service goes a long way in providing a good customer experience.

I spent six nights at The London EDITION as part of my summer vacation. The hotel came up on Marriott’s website when I was using reward points. At first I fussed about how this hotel would stack up in terms of elite member perks. The fact is, this hotel doesn’t do anything special for elite Marriott members. There is no concierge lounge, no elite upgrades, no elite recognition at check in, etc.

As to elite perks, it pretty much works out. Very good high speed Internet was included. I was given breakfast every day in the hotel’s restaurant, Berners Tavern. Going to Berners exceeds any Marriott lounge I've experienced. In fact, going to a lounge would have been a downgrade. Berners Tavern is a wonderful restaurant and shouldn’t be missed.

I did miss room upgrades. I was given a nice superior room (207) at check in, which was very private, and for the most part, very quiet, even though "view" was a wall and a service deck. The first four days of my stay were flawless. On the fourth night, the air conditioning cooler went bad and the room was hot that night and I slept poorly. The cooler was fixed by the next morning. On the fifth night, I was kept awake by the music coming from the dining room below. I hadn’t heard the music the first four night, so I don’t know why the change. The next day I asked to change rooms. My request was accommodated but I was given the option of a bit larger king bedroom, or a smaller queen bedroom. The king room would require a 40 Pound upgrade fee. I turned that down and took the queen room. The queen room (607) was in the same position as my former room, except that the layout had the door opening along a longer corridor. That small shift brought with it the noise from all the doors along the corridor opening and closing. Since this was my final night, I didn’t complain or ask for a switch. Besides having a queen bed, which was not a big deal to me as a solo traveler, this room was smaller in every respect - one window instead of two, a much smaller closet, much small bedroom. I was surprised that, as a platinum elite member, I was asked to pay to get a nicer room, since one was available, and the change request was necessitated by hotel-generated noise.

Location is another positive about The London EDITION. The hotel is in the trendy neighborhood of Fitzrovia, just one block north of Soho, across Oxford Street. I took the Tube in from Heathrow and got off at Piccadilly Circus. It’s a ½ mile walk up Wardour Street to Berners Street. Wardour becomes Berners when it crosses Oxford Circus. There are other Tube stops that are closer to the hotel, but they require changing trains to other lines. I used the Tottenham Street Station to get other places using the Circle Line. Tottenham Street Station is about 1/3 mile from the hotel, and Oxford Street Station is close as well. The hotel is very close to University College London. I walked to Trafalgar Square, St. James Park, Buckingham Palace and Covent Garden. So many parts of the city are easily accessed from this location.

This is a classic, yet modern, upscale hotel. There are plenty of staff to assist guests. It's contemporary in a way that is comfortable for adults. I say this in contrast to the "hipness" of a W. Yet, The London EDITION isn't stuffy. I was quite comfortable coming in an out in my shorts and tee-shirt, which was appropriate wear for touring hot and humid London in late July. I’ll probably stay here again, if given the option. I recommend this hotel for solo travelers and couples. There is no shortage of restaurants and pubs in close proximity to this hotel.

Room Tip: The east side of the hotel seems more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank RMA626

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We spent five nights here recently and were impressed with the hotel. The best part was the great staff - always friendly and attentive, seeking to help in any way. Many took time to ask about us and our travels, as well as tell us a little about them - nice touch.

Our stay started with an excellent friendly welcome at reception. Harry, the bellman, was very personable as was Clara, who we got to know throughout our stay. She even took time to provide us with information about a hotel in her home city in Spain.

Rooms were spacious and ours, facing the back, was very quiet. Breakfast in Berners Tavern was excellent. The service there, especially from Anna Maria, was excellent.

The hotel is a short walk to Oxford Street, which is full of shopping options. Also, several tube stops are within 10 minute walking distance.

The lobby gets active and noisy at night, but we were not affected in our room. I recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill L
EdwinKramer, Hotel Manager at The London EDITION, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Bill L

Clara, Harry and Anna Maria are all thrilled by your personalised comments, thank you for taking the time to write. I’m glad you got to try our breakfast and bars and enjoyed them; both are an important part of a great stay and experience at an Edition.

Whilst our public areas are lively every night of the week, a good sleep experience is crucial and what a hotel should be about. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed it.

Kind regards,

Edwin
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights at this hotel and it was an amazing stay.
Rooms are elegant, staff are super nice and helpful. When you enter the hotel lobby you feel like entering a different world and its an amusing feeling.
The Berners Tavern is one of the best restaurants.
The location is also amazing between Oxford - Regent - Soho. A short walking distance to Oxford circus station (central red).
Expensive but worth it if you like luxury.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler M
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We have just had a fantastic couple of days, including theatre trips and museum visits which were all close by. The staff are brilliant from the first personal welcome through to departure. Nothing was beyond them and we were delighted by their professionalism and friendliness. The place was humming with business and pleasure meetings going on all the time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GiliyandAndrew D
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visiting from the United States on vacation, we stayed at The London EDITION. We have stayed a number of hotels around London on previous trips and had satisfactory experiences (all were premium hotels). Then there was our experience at The London EDITION. From the moment we arrived at the door, the staff was extraordinary, authentic and focused on your experience. We had some unique, last-minute requests that the staff embraced our requests as though they were their own and provided us with outstanding service and solutions.

The decor and rooms of the hotel are very special, unique and of high-class but it was the staff's service and professionalism that made our stay most memorable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo Ann M
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stay in London frequently and have recently been staying at the Edition. I have to say the quality of the room is as good as it gets. It's not overly designed, there are plugs next to the bed (a particular bug-bear of mine!) the bathroom is great and TVs are huge. The quality of finish in the rooms is very high and hard to fault. Sure, the rooms aren't as big as you may get in other cities but having surveyed many in London they are above average.

The staff here are fantastic. There is none of the snootiness that sometime comes with some fashionable hotels, it's always a warm welcome with just the right touch of familiarity. Hard to know what to improve on to be honest and I imagine I will be staying here for some time to come!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pres1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed using Marriott points but will consider paying to stay. The hotel was new, stylish and very comfortable. The rooms are just like the catalog photos, and very quiet. The cocktails are delicious, even virgin ones. The restaurant serves great breakfast (and lunch and dinner). The staff tries their best to fulfill our requests but some speak limited English.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple