“Excellent Italian!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Camden
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a great find in the heart of candem. My two girlfriends and I stumbled upon Il Sugo last night and have to say we loved it.
The restaurant was very warm and cosy. I can assure the door was not left open as said in a previous review. Its elegent with a relaxed comfortable atmosphere and prices are very reasonable.
To start with they bring out warm bread with olive oil to snack on when you arrive. Great touch! Our party decided to have a few stuzzichini witch is an Italian type tapas, to share between us as we wanted to sample a variety of different foods. On the table we had bruchetta , calamari , polenta chips with gorganzola and rice balls with mozzarella. All cooked well and tasted great
As we had alot of the stuzzichini dishes I opted for a pizzette witch is a smaller type of pizza, as my main. I was surprised it was actually a full size pizza stacked full with toppings (as you can see in my photos) so yummy. One of my friends had the gnocchi witch she left none to spare. All the food presented to us was fresh , good quality and absolutely delicious.
We had a great experience in Il Sugo. Wine was great - The food is absolutely delicious and the service was excellent.
I have no hesitation in recommending Il sugo and will no doubt be returning again soon.

ILSUGOITALIAN, Manager at Il Sugo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review I am delighted to read your kind feedback and that you and your friends had a great time! we love what we do here and it is great to read comments like this. Me and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, have a great weekend!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Not the most inviting location: a traffic-packed one-way street in Camden.

Not the most inviting interior: small tables, crammed together, no tablecloths, paper napkins, loud country-and-western music played ear-piercingly through tinny speakers.

Not a great start: the door left wide open to the noisy traffic on a cold November's day with the kitchen extract fan ensuring a glacial draught.

Not the best communication: there are lunch specials but they are not printed anywhere to read. The waitress explained them and I honestly could not understand a word she said. I had to get one of my group to repeat it all to me.

Not the best recovery from a mishap: at the point of serving something unexplained (we think they dropped it) happened to one of our pizzas meaning another had to be cooked. A second side dish was offered but considering one of party had to sit there staring into space while the others ate theirs, a complimentary drink or dessert might have been offered.

Not the most generous food: the pizza is small (they do explain this to you) and there were only two tiny pieces of ham on it. It really is only a snack. The Vitello Milanese was served on a mere spoonful of spaghetti.

Not the best value: on the surface it looks cheap but somehow when the bill came the total was a lot more than you expect for a pizza (we didn't take a starter, nor dessert, nor coffee).

At least the waitresses slimed a lot.

1  Thank thehazelwood

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent Lunch experience at IL SUGO and I am very concerned to read of your experience and that your visit did not live up to expectations. We will certainly look into the volume and choice the music.

We thought it would be nice for the waiters to communicate the menus verbally but I understand your comment and we have now printed the lunch specials so we can present to our customers. We apologise once again about the accident with the pizza and that you did not feel it was handled adequately.

I am very surprised to hear that you don’t believe we are value for money as 9 inch pizza is £3.95 and our average main is £8.

We certainly pride ourselves in our offering good wholesome Italian dishes and I we will definitely look at the size of the spaghetti served with the scallop.

Once again thank you for taking time to leave us the feedback.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Eat here once before with a friend and the experience was extremely pleasing. I therefore decided to bring my family to Il Sugo to celebrate my wife's 36 years old birthday! - Happy Returning!!!
The place had made some adjustment since I was here last, but all to the better!
Still the same low prices, which was the case I found i affordable in the first place, but the food had been upgraded so it was unbelievable! Been traveling some time in Italy myself and it was like returning to my young age, experience the original Italian food once again.
We came around 13 pm. and got a table for 6 right away, ordered some dishes and waited not long for it to arrive. All of it was superb: We had the Arancini with mozzarella, Polpette (meatballs),Polenta Fritta with Gorgonzola, Callamari, as starters. Very nice and freshly made. After that we ordered the Gnocci quatro formaggi (Absolutely fantastic dish) together with La Nera Pizza (seafood pizza), a fish dish called Merluzzo al mare (Very well cooked and in white wine sauce) and a Pan fried duck. Lovely juicy and fresh.
To dessert we shared 2 pannacotta and 1 cheescake.. we were full... and the bill: 137,6 pund including drinks for the six of us! No complains from here!
- All in all, lovely lovely fresh and authentic taste of Italy! Very friendly staff and quick service!
Thanks Il Sugo. You made my wife very happy! See you soon.

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review I am delighted to read your kind feedback It is great to see our guests coming back!! I hope your wife had a great birthday. Me and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat in Camden and walked past Il Sugo and decided to go in. That was no mistake! The waiting staff was very kind and helpful. The food was delicious as was the wine. We had a spaghetti carbonara and lasagna as main courses after the tapaslike starters. A real treat for the tastebuds! If you like honest and authentic Italian food you can safely try this restaurant. It has a cosy and warm atmosphere.

1  Thank Herbie V
ILSUGOITALIAN, Manager at Il Sugo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Herbie,
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review I am delighted to read your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to IL SUGO, I am delighted you enjoyed the experience and the service. Me and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is more of a cafe than a restaurant with a tiny kitchen off the main seating area. It is not in the greatest of locations but that would not matter at all if the food was any good. We visited on a recent Saturday lunchtime and thought we would try share some stuzzichini ( an Italian form of tapas) and then perhaps move on to a main course. With the exception of one dish, the other three we sampled were not brillant and one was undercooked and had to be sent back. At that point we realised that things were not likely to improve and so we ditched the idea of ordering anything else! The service was, however, very good and the staff seem genuinely keen to please and to make amends for our disappointment. I have to say, however, that I agree with the earlier review by an Italian visitor to London who was, like us, unimpressed.

1  Thank 36MJH
ILSUGOITALIAN, Manager at Il Sugo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent Lunch experience at IL SUGO and I am very concerned to read of your experience and that your visit did not live up to expectations. We certainly pride ourselves in our offering good wholesome Italian dishes and I can assure that your experience is not a reflection of what we do here. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again at IL SUGO and have the opportunity to rectify this; do contact us at info@ilsugo.co.uk and once again thank you for your feedback.