“Perfect for our needs”

Ranked #264 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Perfect for our needs”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends and our older children, we were attending a concert at finsbury park and these apartments were only 1.7km away. The biggest bonus was the free car parking and we were told that should we want to do any sightseeing the following day we could leave our cars there at no cost. We had a studio which was huge, spotlessly clean with a full size fridge and microwave. It would have been nice to have a bath but the shower was spacious with good water pressure and was large enough for two. Our friends had a duplex apartment and the bedroom on the mezzanine was a good size, our daughters did the say the sofa bed wasn't particularly comfortable but for one night it was more than adequate and when they got free wi-fi they weren't too bothered!! The apartments are in a central location with access to the tube station and shops right on your doorstep. The only downside for us was having our bedroom window facing the church and hearing the bells every hour although a couple glasses of wine resolved that and is no reflection on the apartments. I would definitely stay here again and the little cafe across the road by the pedestrian crossing is not to be underestimated for a really decent breakfast.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Swaffham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My husband I stayed here for one night, despite us arriving quiet late the receptionist was very polite and even gave us a free upgrade to a larger room and they allowed us to leave our car during the next day when we had checked out! The room was comfortable and we both had a great nights sleep on the comfy bed, would highly recommend .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minion007
St Cyrus, Scotland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at SO Arch for 3 nights last week while in London for business. On the plus side, it was near to my office and also had decent options for transport, being a 5 minute walk to Archway tube station, 3 minutes from Upper Holloway overground station and having a number of bus lines that run into the city centre. But I was not impressed with the stay.

My room was an Executive Studio on the ground floor and had quite a damp feel and smell to it. The inside of the closet in the room had a horrible smell to it and I would not have wanted to put anything inside it. The mattress on the bed was cheap and had little padding. I could feel the springs poking into me and one side was all sagged down where too many people have sat on it. There was just single glazing on the window which meant it was both noisy and draughty. In fact, I kept checking to see if it had been left open. Luckily it was May. If I had been staying in January I think it would have been freezing with a cold draught blowing through the room.

The building is next door to a church which rings its bells every hour. There was also a lot of noise from other rooms in the hotel. The walls and floors felt paper thin and I could hear people walking around and talking. I travel with ear plugs and this time I really needed them to get a decent night's sleep.

The bathroom was clean, modern and had a nice shower. But after my shower I went to find the hair dryer. There wasn't one in the room. I had to go to reception to ask for a shared hair dryer and at that point they were all out in use. I haven't stayed in any hotel in the past few years where there is not a hair dryer in the room.

I didn't spend too much time in the room, but if I'd been staying in a lot and in particular planning on eating in, I would have been disappointed. There was a small 'kitchenette area' in the hallway from the door to the bedroom. It had a small sink, microwave and some cutlery and dishes. But there was no table and only a single chair in the room. So dining would have to be done on the bed.

All in all it was ok and I was comfortable enough, but I stay in London quite a lot and there are many other hotels in a similar price bracket that are better value. I'm not likely to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last night. The check in was excellent. We were in London for a football match. Although we were unable to check in early, we were able to park our car for free and take the tube to the match which was a big plus for us. We then returned at 9pm and checked in then. Both people meet on reception were very polite and helpful.

Unfortunately that is where the upside ended. There were three of us. My husband, my daughter and myself. The beds were on two levels. The upstairs one was good but down stairs was so bad, my daughter pulled the thin mattress off the bed settee and slept (if you can call it that) on the floor. The air conditioning sounded as if a tank of water was filling every 5 mins too.

The skylight window above the bed upstairs has no blind, therefore when the sun was up it was someone was shining a light in your eyes. The other large window has a paper thin blind which is no use either.

Have to say it was modern, spotlessly clean, and in a really good location for us as we were visiting Arsenal. Right next to Archway tube station and would be great for visiting the centre of London.

It has a kettle, toaster, fridge and microwave which were all good. But there was no table to sit and eat, although there was space for one. There are a few local shops in close walking distance.

Shower and bathroom were quite good although the water in the shower could have been a little warmer.

Over all if only two people stay here, and it is winter, and you don't need the air conditioning and you bring blackout masks it would be ok. This a real shame because if they just add blinds and a good second pull out bed settee I would have been
scoring this a 5!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Patbaggies
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed in this place 4 nights in May 2014 with my wife and 2 kids/ We arrived to UK by car, so transport access and parking we among the most important criteria. Easy to find by navigator. Parking is next to the hotel free of charge. In addition, the Aparthotel is located 5 minutes walk from Archway underground station. From there you can get to the center of London in 15-20 minutes.
The exterior of the hotel is one of the most distinguishing i have ever seen. Combined with the nearby Church, I would rate these English old mansions converted into aparthotel as excellent.
There are a couple supermarkets and restaurants that are highly ranked by trip advisor. We tried the italian place called 500. Very good restaurant. Recommend. Reservation in advance is highly advisable.
Speaking of the hotel interior. we got the room 108 which a two levels room, which makes it very cool. But, please bear in mind that it does not provide any sound isolation between the levels.
The beds were very good. The pillows, the blankets were exceptional. We slept well, except for fire alarm that worked one in the middle of the night and the bell of the church that can be heard every hour. This matters for sensitive sleepers.
The most disappointing was the so called kitchen in the room:
Firstly, there is no place to sit and eat. What was the purpose of installing the kitchen set, if there is simply no place to enjoy food?
Secondly, the microwave was not working. I asked to fix it. The staff promised to send the maintenance team, but it never happened over 3 days.
The toaster installed is the cheapest one can find in the shop. It almost made my toast to fire once.
I wonder, why the owner of the place invested so much money into the property, but saved money on the details that spoil overall impression.
Wifi was also unstable. i am not the first who write about those technical problems, but it seems to me that the hotel owner does not read those comments. It would cost him very little money to have them fixed/
The staff was generally polite and helpful.
I will be glad to recommend the place if there is an improvement to the things i wrote above/

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Victor B
london
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Fab building converted old school - still being worked on. Room had all basics for just a simple meal was clean and clean lines which I like. If I used again I woukd bring tin opener sharp knife bottle opener tea towel kitchen roll etc as non of these. Nice pebbled garden abd parking.
Really quiet outside off street BUT really noisy inside. Stayed 4 nights noise from room above very disturbing. Not that people were extra noisy just that all sound came straight down. First night a couple there could vertualy hear every word. Worst was when they had early morning sex I had to sit through every moan for what seemed like ages. Felt like shouting get on with it!!

Next night they were obviously going for early flight heard their alarm at 4 then an hour if banging crashing round room - why couldnt they pack night b4!! Every step on floor creaked and crashed very loadly. Next night new couple another few hours of sex. I put headphones on but still VERY uncomfortable with it I just dont want hear it. Next there were 3 guys in room!! Not good.

• Stayed April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had a great stay at these apartments. Booked to stay here in February as it was a good location for some of the places we needed to get to on our visit and was very cheap in comparison to other places in London. We had to cancel our original booking due to work commitments and the hotel were very accommodating and allowed us to re book for another date and we didn't lose our money. We were also given a free upgrade for one evening. Room was lovely and very clean and we didn't hear a noise from any other of the other guests the whole time of our stay. My only criticism of the room is that there wasn't a mirror anywhere in the bedroom and there wasn't a toothbrush holder in the bathroom, so very minor things. Definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014