“Basil Fawlty Land”

Neighbourhood: South Kensington
London, United Kingdom
“Basil Fawlty Land”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

As all the other restaurants propinque were full as it was Sunday lunchtime, we had the bad luck to eat here .I asked the guy behind the counter if I could have extra things added to the ready made linguine on display and he said in a snarling tone "I don't know what you mean." When I asked a waiter if there was any garlic bread told me in very broken English that he didn't deal with food and I would have to ask the "very friendly" guy behind the counter. I didn't feel that I could brave another question (we had ordered two linguines) but "the waiter who didn't deal with food" came back and said" no garlic bread."I bravely asked if there was any type of bread at all on offer to which he replied" you want toasts?" twice in case I had not understood on the first attempt. I said any bread that comes will be a miracle which I will gladly accept and a few slices of ciabatta with a snail trail of oil were dumped unceremoniously on our table which had a chair and a stool, the stool being most uncomfortable rammed up against a cupboard.
We ordered two glasses of wine. One came promptly the other , like victorian ladies at breakfast, arrived much later.
The sad thing was that the linguine tasted very nice - the rest of the experience was chaos bordering on the unpleasant.

Visited October 2013

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Mike L

• Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“Nice concept, could do better….”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The delicatessen set-up suggests a good meal, but unfortunately the service was slightly neglectful and the food a tad cold on arrival. My friend informs me high staff turn-over contributes to the shortfall…..

Perhaps one to try again...

• Visited October 2013