“Fantastic Stay”

Qbic Hotel London City
Ranked #111 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 March 2014

What a great concept - provide the essentials, make them great and keep the price low. We stayed one night at Qbic in December 2013 and we enjoyed every second. The Qbic has an arty laid back feel. The facilities - check in, drinks etc. are self-service, but the exceptionally friendly staff are always on hand to help out. Tommy and Ayda were especially brilliant - professional, helpful and so friendly - making us feel very welcome and relaxed. On our next visit to London our choice of hotel will be an easy one!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon C
There are newer reviews for Qbic Hotel London City

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Perhaps You need to be modern essential and young spirit to appreciate this place. Certainly you will find the most nice people to welcome you in always a very essential way! No reception, no phone in the room. No good view, but all the rest very friendly

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We arrived early afternoon after a long train journey and were allocated our room straightaway. The room was easy to find and very modern. Large, comfortable bed with a TV built into the base. Wifi worked well. The bathroom was very bright and had a large walk in shower. Tea and coffee machines were easily found and greatly appreciated after walking round London during a tube strike! The hotel is a couple of minutes walk from Aldgate East tube station which was ideal when transferring from Kings Cross. Unluckily for us, the tube station was closed during the strike which meant lots of walking but it was easily accessed on our first and last day. The walls were a bit thin and you could hear others in the corridor and hear people flushing the toilets but overall we were very happy with the hotel and would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twentysomething09
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The rooms are designed in a unique, original and comfortable style. The bed was comfortable, the room was spacious, the bath joyfully decorated. The stuff ready to offer all their help. The hotel is just 3 minutes away by foot from the Aldgate East tube station which is directly linked with Victoria Station and other central stations. Also near the business district of London. We took the breakfast (continental) just one morning in a beautiful designed environment and for the 7GBP we found it fair. Not a traditional English breakfast though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sergiu V
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel, but it turned out to be the worst nights sleep I'd had in years.

The rooms are super modern and quirky, but that's about all the positives I have to say.

Issues:
- There is a night light near the bathroom, which is so bright it illuminates most of the room, so if you like sleeping in the dark this isn't for you.
- Paper thin walls - we were kept awake for most of the night as one of our neighbours snored and it could be clearly heard. Conversations could also be heard in the neighbouring rooms.
It's not a bad location (considering) but the road noise is pretty bad too, so if you're a light sleeper this isn't for you.
- The plastic mattress protector made you sweat in bed and it was really difficult to get comfortable.

They have put style before substance and missed many opportunities to create a great hotel.

In summary; if you like to sleep, this hotel isn't for you!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chris100cr
Dimitrios N, General Manager at Qbic Hotel London City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your review and please accept my apologies for the issues that you have experienced.

I am personally following up on each single one of them and would love to invite you back to demonstrate the progress made.

- I have spoken to our maintenance team and we will be looking at a solution on how we could darken the light that you are referring to.

- I think that this is the first time that someone complained about the noise transfer from the bedrooms next door. I will personally stay in the room that you were allocated and come up with a solution.

- I will revisit our mattress protectors and see if we could get a better feeling model.

If and when you have a chance please do contact me directly on dimitrios.neofitidis@qbichotels.com so I could invite you back and try to make up for your past experience.

Regards,

Dimitrios Neofitidis

Reviewed 26 February 2014

When I walked in the room, I thought, wow this is something different. Light airy room. Large bathroom with good shower. Fairly large bed. Modern design. Free wifi in room works and is fast. Comfy bed. Close to Aldgate East tube station.

However after staying there a few nights I discovered the following flaws:
- the bed has a board at the bottom stopping people from stretching their feet out.
- Its impossible to turn the airco off. It restarts after 5 mins or so and is automatically set to 18C. Kept me awake at night and left me with a very dry throat.
- The light switches on the bed post are annoying. I constantly found myself fumbling around pressing the wrong light in the darkness and getting a blinding bright reading light in my face rather than the mood lighting or LED.
- no wifi on the ground floor in the relaxing area / restaurant which I found odd.
- Vending machines accept credit cards, but remember to stop the transaction after purchasing one item otherwise 60 pounds credit is available on the machine for other people to use. Stoppping the transaction closes the credit and only charges what you bought.
- the notice in the lift said that tea and coffee was available on every floor... I couldn't find this on the 2nd floor only on the ground floor.
- there is no desk in the room to work on. I need this as a business traveller.
- All the power sockets are around the bed. Not practical.
- Finally, reception told me that the bedding was non-allergic with no feathers, but I found it to the contrary allergic. Don't often have this problem.
- no feedback from reception either about the airco or the bedding.

I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this hotel based on the points above.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Although a resident of London, I had 5 friends coming to visit and needed somewhere central for us all to stay. This hotel was picked because it was close to the O2, it had great transport links and it was reasonably priced for a Saturday night.

First impressions was how arty the hotel decor was. There was definitely an emphasis on refurbishing old items and a good stance on energy conservation. The hotel seemed very inviting and I looked forward to seeing the rooms as we had done no research before staying there.

The rooms were modern, bright, full of amenities and very clean. I would go as far as saying that rooms were spotless. The beds were seriously comfortable and there were all manner of plugs, holders and iPod/iPhone/iPad ports, making these rooms very tech friendly! The showers were powerful, TVs excellent quality and I'm pretty sure there was free WiFi too. The only negative would be that there is very little privacy when it comes to the bathroom and if you were sharing with someone you weren't too close too, it could become a bit awkward (big window on the side of the bathroom and no lock). Also the bathrooms are very echoey and you could hear all 'noises' coming from them. The breakfast bags were a nice touch, even if there was nothing within them that I actually liked.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel, to anyone who is visiting London and wants a hotel that is central and not too expensive.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends