“Weekend trip London”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lund
“Weekend trip London”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went to London to visit my sister who lives a bit to small to be able to house us during our stay. I myself am in the hotel industry and I'm quite picky with where I stay.
I have stayed in a London hotel before and was so dissapointed and decided to really look hard this time.
Qbic caught my eye because of it's low price and good reviews. The pictures looked clean and modern.

We arrived at the hotel quite early and I was surprised that the staff didn't even check the computers to see if they could help us with an early check in. It just wasn't possible. I know the rules but I also know that in a lot of cases you can check people in early. Either way they had a good secure system for our luggage so that was fine.

Overall I think the service from the staff was so and so. They didn't give that little extra that I think is important.

The room was very clean and modern and I really appricate a hotel without a carpet. The bathroom felt a bit unstable since it was a moduel built on the back of the head board of the bed but it was really clean. We didn't have any hot water the first night in the shower which was a pity but it can happen and it was fixed quickly!

Really nice bed, perfect with vending machines in the lobby area, perfect location and very good price.

I do recomend anyone to pay a few extra pounds for a room with a window. Gets a bit claustrophobic without it.

I will for sure come back and recommend it to everyone I know looking for a hotel in London. Hopefully I can return to Qbic soon!

Room Tip: Book a room with window.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diddi87
Madiha R, Guest Relations Manager at Qbic Hotel London City, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Diddi87,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.

We are grateful for all the feedback you have provided us with.

We will definitely make sure your comments about early check in are passed onto the Front Desk team.
Also I am sorry to hear about the hot water, and we apologise for the inconvenience this caused.

We are pleased to hear to you enjoyed your stay with us and would definitely return back to us.

We have three different room types:
Smart Room - No window
Cosy Room - Standard Double with a window
Fun Room - Large Double with a window

Do give our Cosy or Fun room a try when you are next visiting.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Madiha B Rizvi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Great and funky hotel. I loved the beds, although they are on the small size for my 1,94m

I do think they tried too hard to be different. You don't get any storage space in the room. There are some cloth hangers on the wall and some kind of creative clothing stand, but it didn't work for me.

The 'mood' light is made from a garden hose and the light bulb is shining in your eyes when you're watching TV. The lighting overall quite bad. Either too much or too little light.

The free internet works well and so does the TV.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank likemike-nl
Madiha R, Guest Relations Manager at Qbic Hotel London City, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear likemike-nl,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to know you liked our hotel and enjoyed your stay.

We value all our guest feedback and do take this on board.

We are looking to implement more furniture into the guest rooms such as a wardrobe in due course.

We do hope you will return back to Qbic Hotel London City again.

Thank you once again.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wow wow wow this hotel is so great lovely people who can't do enough for you I've stayed in a lot of hotels but am blown away by this one free wifi quirky surroundings. This evening we were invited to free cheese and wine very generous amount, we will be back and will recommend it to friends. Smartly dressed staff that can't do enough for you.
Only problem no tea in room!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Madiha R, Guest Relations Manager at Qbic Hotel London City, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Christineb523,

Thank you for your fantastic review.

So glad to hear you had a great experience.

We appreciate all your lovely comments.

We will pass on your feedback regarding tea/coffee in the bedrooms onto the relevant staff member.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Qbic Hotel London City very soon.

Kind regards

Manchester UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Another difficult review to do, the reason is I did like the Qbic hotel at the same time found it very frustration and disappointing, Staying from the 13th June 2014 in room 301

Positives,

Great location in London with easy transport links

Spotlessly clean everywhere, in fact probably the cleanest hotel I have stayed in for a long time.

Fantastic beds, that are very comfortable.

All staff seemed very friendly and pleasant.

Trendy modern design, lovely lounge area.

Negatives,

Design of rooms totally impractical in my personal opinion.

Card use for, door entry, lift use and room lights.
The problem here is only one card for two people, if one person wishes to go out and one stays in, you have to sit in the dark as you have no lights.

If one person leaves, and leaves the card in the room you have lights, but then the other person cannot get back in, as the lift will not operate without that card, so if the person going out takes the card, the person left in the room is left with no lights, the bathroom then is totally dark, and I injured my foot trying to use the bathroom in the dark.

Complimentary coffee on each floor is a great idea, the first day our machine was out of order, so you have to go down to reception, day 2 / 3 etc after reporting over and over again, eventually told some options of the machine don't work (put a sign up then guests know) half the time, no milk, rest of the time no tea bags, become an on going issue so you gave up looking and just went to reception. Facilities such as this need to be checked on a regular basis.

The shower cubical, is dangerous when wet, trying to stand in the shower is like standing on ice, virtually impossible to keep your balance without slipping.
No where for towels to hang, ( just one small rail in front of the sink ) just big enough for the bath mat or hand towel, no where for the lovely bath towels to hang

Very limited space by the sink, just the overflow tray (which could get wet) is the only place to put anything, other than a shelf below the sink which you cannot get to without moving the towels first.

No plug in the sink so you have to waste water leaving the tap running all the time not very ECO friendly.

Bathroom Door is a waste of time as it uncovers a glass panel, so no privacy in the bathroom, esp if you open the room door to anyone! or you have a visitor.

Floor in the bathroom gets wet, and is slippery, also the step into/out of the bathroom, not great.

Lighting in bedroom and bathroom poor, no dim-able lights for night light, all or nothing, reading light has a mind of its own and moves when in use.

TV and light on the end of the bed not in a great position, as you bang into them both when in bed or in the room.

Hanging space terrible, step ladder a nice idea but impractical, a few wall hangers is just not enough.

Trying to use a lap top there is no where to work on/at, put laptop on bed it overheats (fire risk as vent are blocked) so had to put the suitcase on bed to place laptop on, and kneel on the floor to use, not at all practical or comfortable.

Only one pillow each so as there is no where to sit (no chair) had to roll quilt up to use as pillow to sit in bed and watch TV

Bedside ledge far to small and in wrong position, by the time you try and put your phone, watch, wallet drink etc it is impossible as no where else to put anything in the room, so lived out of the suitcase, not very practical at all.

I hope my personal constructive criticism will be received in the way it was written and may help you improve guest experience in the future.

Room Tip: Overlooking the park
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alaninmanchester
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is so qwicky, loved that most of the materials used were recycled. Stayed here when it had not long opened so coffee machines weren't on each floor so had to go to reception if we wanted a warm refreshment but that was no trouble at all. Nice lounge area feels Cousy and warm. Would recommend to any young people wanted to get away for a London break for a while.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear John H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your fantastic review.

We are pleased to hear you loved the hotel and our design.

We wanted to make our hotel fun, quirky, and different; not a traditional hotel!

As you mentioned when we first opened we only offered tea/coffee in the Lounge however we do have a coffee station on each guest room floor now.

We do look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed here a few times now. It really warranted a 3.5 / 5 rating as it could not be classed as average, but it doesn't really deserve a rating of very good. The beds are huge and so comfortable. And I love the quirkiness. But I have always bemoaned not being able to make tea in my room. Having to get dressed to go get that first cuppa of the day is not fun - but what's worse, the tea has changed and now there is no Earl Grey anymore. I may seriously have to reconsider staying here as tea is essential to start my day. It's that or always remember to pack my own teabags, what a hassle!
I don't mind the windowless rooms. But they are not all the same size. I had to move from one room (213) as it was too small to use to get dressed for my dinner date in. No plug socket near to the mirror, nor shelf by the bed to put that hard earned tea on. However the staff were kind and understanding and sorted me straight away.
If you like conventional and safe, this isn't the hotel for you. Personally, if you don't mind the drink thing, it a good hotel that's good value and slightly fun. Well worth 3.5 / 5. And I will go back, tea bags in hand, cos those beds are worth it.

Room Tip: Just avoid 213, and apparently 313 is also tiny. I don't see the point of paying extra for wind...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear GIJayne19,

Thank you for your review.

Its great to hear you liked our hotel and had a good stay.

I completely understand morning coffee/tea is important and I am sorry for any inconvenience which was caused. We do still offer Earl Grey Tea, so I apologise for this.

We offer three different room types as you mentioned you stayed in a Smart Room - No window.
We also have a Cosy Room type which is a standard double with a window. And our Fun Room is our large double with a window.

We do hope you will come and stay with us again very soon.

We look forward to seeing you.

Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room concept with a "cube" in every rooms works really good. You have everything you need in one place. The bed was very comfy and power outlets and light switches were all placed good. The bathroom also offers all amenities for a good overnight stay.

The design of the rooms and the public hotel areas is very modern. Most guests are younger, so are the staff members. They were friendly and helpful, though not extremely friendly, I think they have to handle too many guests at once (e.g., check in).

The only little disappointment: the hotel does no longer offer breakfast bags, but the are still advertised in the hotel info in all rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maschine,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Qbic Hotel London City and liked the concept of our design and thinking.

The stickers in the bedrooms will be removed in due course and changed, unfortunately we no longer offer breakfast bags however we do offer a scrumptious continental breakfast. Please do try this when you next stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again.