“Right at the heart of vibrant London”
Review of The Soho Hotel

The Soho Hotel
Ranked #20 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Ascot,
“Right at the heart of vibrant London”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

A remarkable fun hotel full of movie industry people and at the heart of Soho and close to the lively parts of the West End. Large lovely rooms in what was once a car park with a buzzy bar and restaurant plus private cinema. A great team of people - as always at Firmdale Hotels - who do all they can to make any stay a great experience. Not the cheapest of hotels but neither are the prices crazy and the quality of the rooms makes this a good value place if you want to be at the heart of London.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Soho (and London for that matter) can be expensive. This is definitely expensive. But worth every cent. If you can afford to splurge a little, then do it. It's not even that much more expensive than other much less attractive places. I have stayed here twice now, and cannot fault the place.

The staff are always friendly and can't do enough for you. They dress pretty snazzily too. The rooms are large and the beds are huge and comfortable. The mini bar is unlike any other I have seen, and the food is fantastic. And the location? Spot on. Walk to anywhere, buses all around, stations within 5 minutes walk, and shops everywhere. It is a happening place with lots of buzz. But you can retire to peace and quiet in your room if you wish.

It's also pretty easy to get to by train and tube from heathrow.

I especially like the Honour Bar in the lounge. Nice touch.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine but go a level or two up if you can. They also have smoking rooms for those...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank OrionKT
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The best hotel in the world! The head concierge is a real gem! He can make the impossible be possible!

• Stayed January 2011
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Went to London Christmas shopping with my son and daughter who live there. Stayed in this beautiful, elegant and very stylish hotel. Staff knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. Room gorgeous, with beautiful linen, very comfortable huge bed. Lovely guest drawing room to unwind. Great afternoon tea, yummy!! Will definitely return, next time with husband for romantic treat.

• Stayed November 2011
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2011

A lot has been written on the SoHo hotel, but here are a few things that might be helpful if you are thinking of staying here:

a) The location is excellent if you want to go out drinking. Make reservations if you can as it is busy at night.
b) The staff is generally very good but I'd have to say the concierge capability is immature here and can fulfill only basic tasks IMO. Examples:

Hair cut:
- I needed my hair cut early. I asked if they could bring someone in early to cut my hair for me. They really didn't follow up on that and said the earliest is someplace down the street that opens after nine. Further, when I arrived at the concierge to get the information about the hair cut they had not even printed any of their 'research' or maps for me. I had to wait at the desk while they printed the information even though they had a few hours to prepare it. I should not need to stand in front of the concierge while they do their research and print maps directions. Further I would have been impressed if they could have found someone to cut my hair early. I'm sure in London there are people who would like 100 pounds to buzz cut my head and trim my beard.

Food Poisoning:
- I got food poisoning and was recovering in the room. Concierge / staff did not really care. They offered a doctor to the room for 195 pounds or I could walk to a clinic a few blocks away. I replied I could barely walk to the phone. In other 5 star hotels the concierge would offer bringing up tea or some pain relievers. There was also no interest as to where I had received food poisoning (perhaps so they could warn guests against eating at certain locations).

Room not turned over:
- I had to jump to Amsterdam for a day and as I was walking down I told the concierge I had forgotten to remove the 'do not disturb' sign from my door and I'd like it if they would remove the sign and turn-over the room. They forgot.
- When I returned from Amsterdam I found my key did not work. I hate having to walk up to my room and back down, then back up again.
- The room had not been turned over. The person walking me up suggested it probably had been -- based on what I do not know. But it was not turned over so I had to go for a walk for 30 minutes while it was put in order.
- I was offered a free drink for the inconvenience which was nice.

No drinks with dinner:
- When I ordered dinner I ordered drinks along with dinner but they did not come.
- I called down to the restaurant to have the drinks brought up and they initially said it would be up in 10 to 15 minutes, to which I took exception (my meal would get pretty cold by then) so they brought them faster.

Again it seems that the staff is young but not as experienced as they should be to run what is advertised as a 5 star hotel.

The quality of the rooms is 5 star and sleep quality is high but the service during this stay was below average.

I did not get a sense of competence or caring from the concierge (I spoke with several).

Room Tip: This hotel is part of Firmdale hotel group. If you can't get a room here try one of the other ho...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank paulsop
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Big and comfy rooms (for london), nice staff, good breakfast; the only downside is the lack of quietness in the hotel (lots of buzz), which does not make it suitable if you are on business or want a more relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Westport, Ct
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We are huge fans of Covent Garden Hotel, but stayed here on a recent trip when the Covent Garden was full. The decor is similarly wonderful, and the rooms here might be larger. But -- this is full on Soho -- noisy and overtly sexy rather than discreet.... The bar scene here is loud -- the bar has entrances on both sides of the room, making it a thoroughfare, and is off a street filled with clubs, so this buzz seems purposeful. We were disappointed to find that the library and drawing rooms -- a wonderful exclusive sanctuary for guests at Covent Garden Hotel -- was completely taken over by street traffic; we could not even find a place to sit down on a weeknight - in this hotel, there is really no quiet common spot for guests.

And -- when I went to find cookies at the minibar, I was pretty surprised by the "fun packages" available (I didn't mind, but suffice to say, I dont' think these were at the minibar at Covent Gardens!)

So -- this is a fun, buzzy place, with the same terrific decor and personal service, but for a middle aged couple looking for gentler romance, I would try one of the sister hotels first.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple