“Not what it once was.”

Ranked #21 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Not what it once was.”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I returned here for a stay recently, after a 5 year absence (whilst I tried other hotels). The hotel itself has been maintained nicely and is still looking very fresh.

A couple of down points:
1. I had a package that had "free wifi". But it seems to me that all guests get free wifi- so not really a feature.
2. We have an "upgrade subject to availability" package. Again, there was no attempt to provide the upgrade to us, we had to ask if it was available and were told not. To be honest, I got the impression that they had no intention of providing the upgrade (unless they were 100% certain that they could not rent the room)- although I am sure management would just say that they are only able to "subject to availability" and they were full!
3. Breakfast was a problem, both in room and in their restaurant. We ordered in room the first morning and it arrived in a timely manner but was pretty cold (full English). The second day we thought we would go to the restaurant in search of a proper warm full English. We had to wait for a table, wait for our tea and coffee and food was barely warm again. The staff seemed "hassled", I assume because they were busy.

Other positives remain, good location but for the price- I think I will return to Cafe Royal or somewhere similar.

Shame really.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Brown71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

This is a superb hotel. My partner took me here for my birthday and we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite!! It was gorgeous. The room was huge and well furnished, with a kitchenette and well stocked mini bar. The communal areas are all very tastefully decorated and although we didn't visit the bar, it was packed the whole time. We opted for breakfast in bed which was promptly delivered and all very tasty. We would definately return - location wise it is right in the heart of Soho so really easy to get to bars/restaurants and shops.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have just returned home from another fantastic stay at The Soho Hotel.
We have been staying at The Soho since its opening and never had a bad experience. From the concierge, to the staff on the front desk, the room service, the cinema, all is done with the guest in mind.

Everyone is friendly and really helpful.

The decor is by Kit Kemp, and it is really cool and comfortable.

Over the years we stayed in different rooms (from the suites to the apartments), and they have all been immaculate and stylish.

Even our small children (10 and 6 yrs old) always want to stay there.

If you want to enjoy London and fancy a stay in a vibrant and beautiful hotel, take a chance and stay at The Soho. I am sure you won't regret it and the staff will make your stay special.

Maybe you will be like me and my family and will keep coming back for more!!!!!

Reed family

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Went for afternoon tea with family. This is a very stylish hotel and tea is taken in a lounge; this gives a very relaxed atmosphere. Service was friendly and professional. Food and drinks were all excellent - we had 2 traditional teas and 2 Soho teas which gave us a good mix of food. Would definitely highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HeatherDavid
london
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have been wanting to stay at the Soho Hotel for a while as I've heard such good things! And upon arrival we were not disappointed, the reception staff was friendly, polite and promptly checked us in to our junior suite. Birthday cocktails and chocolate were kindly sent to my room, where we also enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea. Unfortunately the same could not be said for our experience upon departure.It all started when we attended for breakfast where we were lazily ticked off the breakfast guest list, not shown to our table, with no introduction to the breakfast options and made to wait for any service. When my husband found a hair in his butter, instead of an apology followed my prompt replacement, instead a rather rude waitress or manager seemed more interested in carrying out hair forensics! whilst we patiently waited for the replacement we could see a group hovering over the butter dish in the kitchen, when finally I requested a replacement 5-10mins later, we were told she was getting a new one...how long does it take?! But in the mean time we HAD to fill out a foreign body form...in the middle of breakfast! After all this commotion the member of staff came over and advised that she will compliment the breakfast..specifically my husbands,we politely advised her that we did not want anything complimentary but just for her information the breakfast was in the rate. She then went away and came back and told us that it wasn't included but as(grand) gesture of good will she would still offer my husband a complimentary breakfast. By this stage we had a rather chaotic breakfast and were rather embarrassed about the fuss over paying for breakfast in front of other patrons! It turns out that out breakfast was included in the rate although rather then apologise this specific member of the team blurted something about this mix up having happened before and disappeared in to back office. In her replacement came a very pleasant young man, who apologised, he did very kindly want to 'make it up to us' and didn't want us to leave on a bad note and said he would speak to my husband upon departure, but he must have missed us on our way out. We took his apology as sincere as this is all we wanted and didn't want to leave on bad note, especially as this was the start of my birthday celebrations!

Over all pros and cons:

pro:
-polite reception staff
-polite room service staff
-good ambience in restaurant and drawing room
-clean/large rooms
-bed/bedding
-decor in rooms
-good bath room amenities
-dab radio in bathroom and bed room
-ipod dock
-safe
-dvd player
-common areas well maintained
-amazing central location
-breakfast buffet selection
cons:
-no parking
-back entrance
-poor privacy:large windows floor to ceiling look in to the back of offices/priv apartments all round so you have to close the curtains during the day for privacy! we became well acquainted with the company with red tshirts for uniforms as we were facing their kitchenette area!
-only free view on tv( flat screen but small)
-room amenities on request rather then in room.
-breakfast staffing/service

Overall for us spending 400-450£ to stay 40mins from home was to ENJOY the hospitality of a good hotel, I'm sad to say the service faux pas let the hotel down on this occasion.

Room Tip: request room with private views if any are available as otherwise you'll have to keep your curta...
5 Thank servicefusspot
Sydney
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Very stylish little place. Refuel is also a good venue for drinks and dinner there was good too. the one issue i had is that the room had no kettle and tea bags. I complained at check out but i was told they were "available on request". I travel a lot esp in Asia and that isnt good enough. also no iron and ironing board. otherwise cool room, wicked mini-bar. LOVE the honesty bar too.

Have brunch next door at dean street townhouse. The Toucan over the road has the best Guinness in London too and has done as far back as I can remember!

Room Tip: ask for a kettle early!
1 Thank Alex_Syd
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Our junior suite was very well appointed and comfortable, hotel bars and restaurant are great and staff are friendly and helpful. Showers and bathrooms are top notch. The location is in the heart of Soho, within walking distance to most London attractions. Free wireless internet worked with no issues.

My only gripes are that there was no kettle or iron/ironing board in the room and that there are vulnerabilities in the room key system (the key fob stays at reception and staff do not check ID or consistently ask for your name when returning the key.) Nevertheless, I would highly recommend this hotel.