“Top Class Property”

The Soho Hotel
Ranked #15 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Booking:
I booked over the telephone and I was very impressed with the friendly, down to earth manner of the reservations staff. Email confirmation arrived immediately. I had to make an alteration to our booking the day before our stay which was accommodated without any trouble at all.

Check In:
On arrival we received a free upgrade and was offered a tour of the facilities which was a nice touch although we declined as we'd had a long trip and were exhausted.

Location:
Fabulously situated just off Dean Street tucked away just enough to not get caught up in hussle and bussle but close enough to the bars/restaurants etc of Soho and 5 minute walk from Covent Garden.

Common Areas:
The giant cat in the lobby is very eye catching - love it or hate it. Richly coloured murals decorate plain walls. Very classy and individual.

Rooms:
Very spacious, light, airy and beautifully decorated. We had more room than we knew what to do with! We were on the second floor and had no problem at all with noise although we stayed on a weekend. A guy we got chatting to who was also staying on this floor and had been all week complained about the level of road noise.

Bar:
Superb. Very lively from early evening with friendly bar staff. Very diverse crowd. Great for people watching. Not as many lady lurkers or guys of a certain age looking for a good time than Long Bar @ Sanderson. Recommended whether you're staying in the hotel or not.

Spa:
Never got time, grrr.

Breakfast:
She tried, bless her..... need I say more?

Concierge:
Arranged our dinner bookings without a hitch but did seem a bit cold when approached for directions. A bit of sense of humour wouldn't go amiss, however if they got the job done so we'll let them off. Perhaps they were having an off day.

Price:
Less than some other hotels in the same category. Drinks not as ridiculous as some places.

I have to say that this is the best hotel (in my opinion) that I have ever visited in London. Although the decor may not be as jaw-dropping as the Sanderson, it has a lot more class and a feel of luxury to it. The level of service also leaves competitors far behind. I have booked to visit this hotel again and will continue to stay here as long as the standards remain as high as on this visit.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
8  Thank MissJ26
Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed 1 February 2007

we stayed here the first of october for a week. Since we were celebrating a special anniversary we were upgraded to a jr. suite. What a lovely, spacious room it was too. Plus, shortly after we arrived in our room a complimentary bottle of champagne and a bowl of gourmet olives was delivered to us. It was absolutely perfect. The hotel is in a great location also. Really close to shopping on oxford street and close enough to walk to covent gardens. We weren't crazy about the restaurant after a breakfast there but did have "snacks" from room service, which was fine. I only have 2 complaints and they are minimal. We didn't like any of the restaurants that the concierge recommended. In fact, we walked out of several places be cause we we the only people there and they didn't look very clean either. We got the feeling they (concierge & restaurant) were working together. Usually at night we would stop at the honor bar for 2 glasses of ice to take to our room- quicker than room service and there was usually some employee(same one always) who would watch us like we were stealing something.Like you don't mind paying their high room rates but not a couple of bucks for a coke if you wanted. He just made us feel uncomfortable every night. But, all in all, we would stay there again because it really is a gorgeous hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank sockysmom
Reviewed 1 February 2007

This is a superb hotel in the heart of London. The room was amazing, the staff were helpful, and the bathroom was sublime. You couldn't choose a better hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank grj78
Reviewed 30 January 2007

Overall had a good experience, service was excellent ,. Restaurant food was only ok . Room service much better .Internet charges are 33 pence per minute , it should be free in a 5 star hotel ! not this crazy price. I complained and price was reduced by 50% , still too expensive.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
7  Thank Paul007Ireland
Reviewed 24 January 2007

Beautiful rooms, excellent staff, super resturant. We stayed 2 nights over New Year, including New Years eve which was wonderful. We ate in the resturant on NY eve where the meal was from a set menu and excellent. The place was buzzing that night but the staff were so proffessional, still nothing was too much trouble. For location you could not better, we walked everywhere after our car was 'magically' stored for us!
It was very quiet on NY day and we found out that the resturant was closed that evening, which was fine as we ate out at a super Thai locally, but wish we had been told this when booking.
The lounge is very welcoming and the decor beautifully refreshing. This is not a hotel for children though, although we saw some being made most welcome, it is more for couples and friends. We will definately be going back and I would be most happy to stay at the Soho on my own as the staff really do care about individuals.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank JayneWiltshire
Reviewed 14 January 2007

Well, I missed my flight at CDG- Paris, and since the French happily proclaimed that it would be 2 weeks before I could get a flight back to LA, I decided to book it across the channel and check out London while I waited for a flight out of Heathrow. This was my first visit to London, and I really wasn't even aware that they didn't take euros, which really ticked off the taxi driver.

Anyway, upon arriving at the hotel, the baggage people came right out and scooped up my luggage, to the taxi guy's dismay, since he was hoping to use my luggage for ransom until i changed euros to pounds. The brisk service I got at the hotel though seemed to calm the taxi guy down until I was able to pay him off..

To be honest, I picked this hotel because of its location, and also because I thought I had scored quite the deal at $250 per night for a 5 star hotel. Well, my pipe dream soon ended when I discovered that the price was listed in british pounds, which made it closer to $490 per night, I decided to stay anyway, and I'm very glad I did- in fact, I was so impressed, I stayed 3 more nights.

The hotel was incredibly quiet, and remarkably decorated. I especially loved the "gym" which was stocked with unusually fine equipment and nice touches, like beautiful leather boxing goves. The rooms are so pleasant that I had to force myself to go outside. The entire hotel staff was extremely nice and seemed very genuine. I didn't find anything pretentious here at all.

The location is unbeatable- check out the SOHO theater while you're in the area. It's a playhouse that features up and coming talent, and it was quite a pleasant discovery.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
10  Thank JAMMIN68
Reviewed 13 January 2007

Stayed at this hotel last weekend and absolutely loved it. Really stylish. I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels in London and this is the best by far. Great location. Superb service. Great lounges and rooms. Booked by a Mr and Mrs Smith Hotel voucher which means I even got a complimentary bottle of Champagne. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple