“AVOID AT ALL COAST---- SCABIES----”
Review of Hotel Olympia

Hotel Olympia
Ranked #979 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“AVOID AT ALL COAST---- SCABIES----”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My partner took my 9 year old to stay in london for 1 night in the olympia hotel, and would never ever go back. The room was very small no tv no cups for the coffee, a mouse trap was situated behind the kettle...nice!!! the view from the window was a lovely old crusty pair of boxershorts and socks that had obliousely been there for weeks, but the reason why i am writing this review is that they have been back home a week and have just both been seen by a doctor who has confirmed the lumps they came out with are SCABIES...the only place they have been together is this hotel so people beware !!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Wanted to spend a couple of days in London, was attracted by price and location. On the upside, the location was ideal, very central. On the down side... grubby exterior, litter and debris in evidence. Scruffy hand written notices on door warning that keys must be left. Difficulty checking in, language problems. The bedroom had a tiny portable tv, a clean bed, a cheapo £3 travel kettle, several teabags and some UHT milk cartons. The tea was supposed to be made in thin disposable plastic glasses, which had obviously been used before! The small window was broken and had been taped together and the white net curtains came in an interesting shade of dark grey. The noise from the road, right outside was unbelievable. Our choice was to either keep the noise out and suffocate, or keep a bit cooler and sleep fitfully. We chose the latter. The bathroom had a loo, basin and shower, and was surprisingly clean. All other decorations were very tired and shabby and in need of a major refurb job. The 'Continental Breakfast', advertised was down in the basement with cornflakes, toast and marg. and marmalade with tea or 'something' called coffee. The dining area was cramped and the tables sticky and nasty. If that was all they served there, why was there a smell of cabbage in the background throughout the hotel? If I had booked for more than one night, I would have abandoned this hotel and moved elsewhere. As it was, we stayed the night and left, wearily the next day. Do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 2 August 2010

It was probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms were tiny and untidy. The duvet was unwashed. The windows had bars across them, and looked like they hadn't been washed in years. We booked a twin room and got 1 double bed. There was no ventilation system in the room, meaning you have to open the window for air, but then have to listen to the traffic on the main road beside you. The staff were unhelpful and unfriendly. For what you got, it was very overpriced. I would strongly recommend people avoid this 'hotel' at all costs. Thankfully we only stayed 1 night, it would have spoiled our trip had we stayed longer

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
DUBLIN
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Worst experience ever while staying at a hotel. It was filthy ,the bed cover had stains, which were thrown straight into the wardrobe and we slept fully clothed on top of the bed. The windows had iron bars across them which would have given us no escape route in the event of a fire. The receptionist demanded cash , I said I had none and he told me to go out and find a cash machine, despite their web site saying they accepted credit cards. Wardrobe falling apart, door locks faulty, windows had not been cleaned in years if ever.We didnt dare to even try the breakfast. Over all the worst place ive ever stayed, do yourself a big big favour and try somewhere else. In one word "DISGUSTING"

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DISGUSTEDDublin
Berlin
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The worst place I’ve ever stayed in. My “acceptance” level is very low but that was something special. Stay away from it !!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Fleas! Took a lot of wrangling to cancel the next two nights stay. Americans will lust after the wide open spaces at Motel 6. Good location

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 23 July 2010

What can I say. Arrived 6.30pm. Checked in. Went to room, had to climb over a pile of dirty laundry infront of my door.

Went to turn the TV on and it did not work. Went to reception to complain. The night porter came to my room and he looked at the TV and said "It should work it is new". Well it did not work and he could not get it to work, and he could not find a maintanance man within the chain of hotels that was working. So after an hour I gave up. I asked for another room and was told NO! I asked for a partial refund. To be told that he was not authorised. I asked to speak to the Manager. The manager was not in till Monday. (It was a Saturday I was there). The night porter told me to speak to the day porter in the morning.

So back up in the room, I went to the bathroom to find all the previous guests rubbish overflowing the bin. I grabbed the bag and placed it on the reception desk much to the porters horror and the incoming guests!

Later that night after looking at the plug to the TV, I worked out why it was not working and fixed it, only because I wanted something to drown out the residents street party.

So it came to bed time. The room was too hot so I opened the window, the curtain did not cover the whole window and it let in the noise of the busy road beneath.

In the morning I went to have a shower. It took 30 mins!!! I had to keep turning it off to let the water drain away otherwise I would have flooded the room!!!!

breakfast time - well lets just say I did not risk it!!!

I spoke to the day porter on the Sunday morning as I was checking out and they could not offer any refunds / compensation either.

Long and short of this is NEVER EVER COME TO THIS HOTEL.

I eventually got offered compensation only if I made a 200 mile round trip to collect it! As I write this I am still fighting.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business