“Good food, shame about the service”
Review of The Keeper's House

The Keeper's House
Ranked #5,788 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The Keeper's House restaurant prides itself on an ever changing menu of modern British food with a focus on seasonal and foraged ingredients. With plenty of exciting elements and novel combinations on the menu, The Keeper's cuisine mirrors the creativity and innovation at the heart of The Royal Academy of Arts. Adjacent to the restaurant, The Shenkman Bar offers outstanding cocktails developed by our expert bartenders. From a perfectly made martini to a classic Negroni, our experienced team are happy to mix your favourite drink and then some.
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Good food, shame about the service”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Dinner for three was booked for 730pm but we waited in the bar for 25mins to be shown to our table with no explanation for the delay. We waited too long for our order to be taken, too long for our main course to be delivered and then a wait for the dessert menu, the order to be taken and a further 20min wait for the two desserts (which surely must have been pre-prepared) to come. We didn't risk coffee!
There was never any explanation or apology for the shamefully poor service until we complained to the manager. Her charmless reply to our question 'are you experiencing problems?' was 'no problem, we're busy'. She said they were short-staffed - odd that this problem was not dealt with earlier given that it was the evening of the RA's Private View and it was obviously going to be busy. We were made to feel that somehow it was all our fault as a previous reviewer has commented having overheard the exchange.
The service charge was deducted from the bill but we wouldn't have paid it anyway and the 2 glasses of wine were not charged (which was a small gesture).
The food was good but the portions small (we all had the lamb but there was a lot of fat on the meat). The only side vegetable dishes were broccoli and pink potatoes so hard luck if you didn't like broccoli!
The restaurant reviews so far are extremely poor for such a prestigious venue and most focus on the poor standard of service whilst commenting that the food is good. Clearly, the kitchen is being let down front of house and this needs urgent attention. Had the manager explained in advance that there were some problems and had we been kept informed of progress as the meal progressed, we wouldn't have felt so disgruntled. Apologies can be delivered with charm, humour and good grace and the manager would do well to take note! We will not return.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gillian N
Peyton B, General Manager at The Keeper's House, responded to this review, 28 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please may I extend my deepest apologies for your experience as this is not our standards.

I would like to discuss your experience with you in person and would appreciate if you email me directly your contact details in order to discuss at your convenience.

Please email me at keepershouse@peytonandbyrne.co.uk

I hope we can rebuild your trust within our brand.

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
“You can keep it!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Keeper's House is an expensive restaurant in the Royal Academy (average starter £9.50, mains £20-35, deserts £8.50) with a wine list with only one bottle of each colour under £20 and others running up to £145. It has pretensions to grandness that, in our experience, are not justified by the service.

We booked for 8:00 pm and arrived on time. There was no one at the station and when I asked where were supposed to go of a flurry of staff dashing about in the restaurant I was told to wait. When some one came to us, the manner was peremptory and we were asked if we like to go into the bar for a drink. When I said that I'd rather have a drink at the table if it was ready for us, there was a lot of huffing and puffing before we were finally led to a table. There were many others available.

Our starter went to another table (our neighbours were eating their mains when two more mains arrived – in error for another customer). There was a lengthy delay between starters and mains and when they arrived they did so without side orders (veg @ £3.90 a portion). We waited another 4 minutes for the veg to be delivered without apology and when I said that I expected sides to come with the main, I received the grudging explanation that there had been a 'misunderstanding'.

We overheard another nearby table complaining about the length of time they had waited and the response to their complaint was to make it sound as though the problem was the customers'. In asking for the bill I said I was not prepared to pay more than 10% (a 'discretionary' 12.5% is automatically added) . In response they removed all service and the price of the side dishes. Whilst I appreciated their handling of my complaint, it is not enough for a restaurant in this price range (however good their food) to have anything but competent, welcoming and attentive service.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Brian S

Please email me at keepershouse@peytonandbyrne.co.uk

I hope we can rebuild your trust within our brand.

Kind Regards,

Switzerland
“Careless overall service; tiny portions”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We went here for a dinner party. We'd pre- selected our meals. We arrived at about 7.15pm. We were greeted nicely and shown to an anti- room. No sign of any canapés, not even a crisp. Also, there were two spaces on the wall where pictures should have been. "They were sold" said the waitress. This is the RA. Have they run out of pictures? We went down for dinner at about 8.45 but did not see food, except for some very good bread, for at least another 40 minutes or so. My pigeon breast was good, but tiny. My wife's octopus was excellent. Main courses were a total disappointment. My fish was well cooked, but the portion was small. My wife's lamb was minuscule and half fat. Also, it was cold. Puddings were OK. No coffee was offered. Everything had taken so long, it was clear that we'd out-stayed our welcome. This was not a good dining experience and we will not return.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank IOWman
London, United Kingdom
“Great building but shame about the food...”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The RA has wonderful new quarters for Members, with a delightful doorman to welcome you warmly! I suppose they have to recoup the cost somehow but….

£5.50 for a small, rather dry smoked salmon sandwich - I hope that the staff did not put back onto the platter the one that they dropped on the floor when serving us…

£4.50 for a small, rather dry piece of walnut and coffee cake - perhaps they have not got the air con right in the kitchen and all the food is loosing its moisture this way…

If you like unpleasant drinks, try The Dalston Cola. It is disgusting, although comes in a trendy bottle.

Oh dear, RA, can you make the food match the quality of the venue, please?

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Roland D
Bethesda, Maryland
“Save you money”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

After a spectacular opening, this restaurant went downhill fast. The food and service are poor and the prices high. They are suppose to be getting a new chef. Avoid this place until someone better commands the kitchen.

• Visited March 2014